Heroes of Newerth

Torturer: incoming flavor of the month?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Naeras Mar 4 2011, 11:52 AM
This guy has popped up from nowhere after a few tweaks, and apparently went from being never played at all to a fairly common pick. I've frequently seen him against me on MM, I've used him myself to some extent(hint: i suck at him biggrin.gif) but if someone saw the SK vs Empr-stream yesterday, you'll know what I mean. He absolutely wrecked everything(and props to SK for an extremely unorthodox lineup either way tongue.gif), and I wouldn't be surprised if we'll be seeing a lot of him in the future.

So since I'm planning to jump on the bandwagon like everyone else and try to play the guy, I'd just throw up a thread about him. How is he played, really? He seems to be in need of something in between tank items and mana/manaregen-items in order to do his best, and while he's seemingly pretty item dependent, his damage output is downright scary when he's got everything he needs.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2X-Flame Mar 4 2011, 14:45 PM
He became a flavor because his stun went from an unreliable follow-up stun to a 95% primary stun.

I used to build him with Chalice, Bottle, Steamboots, Sac Stone and then whatever tankiness would be needed, but I can't remember the last time that I touched him.
Oh and max Agonising Bonds, not Impalement. Instant nuking power with a potential 1350 range on a 6 second cooldown beats the ability to push towers hard.

He can mid, he can dual, I've seen him being run in tri-lanes.

Game: None

+
# 3Rizky Mar 4 2011, 15:00 PM
I like to build him:
122323233 and then I usually just go for something. Not sure if stun is really worth leveling now after lvl 1 since it doesn't increase the stun time.

Clan: Insane

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 4Naeras Mar 4 2011, 15:42 PM
Just played a game where I pretty much won the game by myself as torturer. His pushing power is downright insane, he's a good ganker and he's incredible in teamfights once he has some regen and tankyness.

I ended up going stun at level 1 and and then leveling Agonizing > Impalement > Stun > ult. Yes, prioritized the ult last: you won't have the mana for it before you have your sacstone anyways. Sacrifical Stone is definitely a core item, however. Nullstone, Staff of the Master and Frostfield all seem good items to get after that.

This post has been edited by Naeras: Mar 4 2011, 15:43 PM

+
# 5Witchking' Mar 4 2011, 21:52 PM
QUOTE(Naeras @ Mar 4 2011, 17:42 PM) *

Just played a game where I pretty much won the game by myself as torturer. His pushing power is downright insane, he's a good ganker and he's incredible in teamfights once he has some regen and tankyness.

So what exactly is new about this? He could do that already before and he was also seen in pusher line ups in DotA.

Imo he was already a good hero before, but just disregarded because of his stun that was really hard to land (like pyro level 1, you know ...). Now he's maybe even a bit overpowered, but at least he's picked nowadays. I wouldn't cry if he gets a slight nerf again, but leaving him like this is also fine as far as I can judge about him at the moment.

Just nice to see him back. <3

+
# 6Naeras Mar 5 2011, 01:16 AM
I'm not into the DotA scene so how would I know? I just made a thread because a) I liked him in the first place(but never really played him cause I'm a metagame whore) and b) he's now EVERYWHERE while raping face. And it's awesome. If I'm to compare to someone with a similar role, he's at least as good as Balphagore at both pushing and teamfights, and he can also gank fairly well due to both stuns, nukes and chasing skills being very effective. Given enough tankyness and regen he can wreck an entire team unless they have shrunkens(which they will have but w/e).

(please disregard this post if it's full of bullshit, I'm more than just slightly alchoholized at the time of posting =p)

This post has been edited by Naeras: Mar 5 2011, 01:17 AM

+
# 7X-Flame Mar 5 2011, 11:33 AM
Well truth is, he kinda needs that 'broken' stun. He's being run in aggressive tri-lanes now, so he's getting gimped in levels which he so desperately needs.

Game: None

+
# 8Witchking' Mar 5 2011, 17:26 PM
I'd much more appreciate seeing him in a solo lane tbh - with a bit of items and level advantage, he can be a devastating pusher and nuker that eats level 5 support heroes alive.

+
# 9Freudian Trip Mar 5 2011, 19:48 PM
He owned before now he's ez-mode.

+
# 10buzuzuki Mar 6 2011, 01:06 AM
Two second stun is too much for him from level 1. Pretty sure they gonna nerf him.

I like to get shamans headress on him depending on the enemy team. Usually chalice and a bottle is enough for my mana issues. (i like going mid) Phase boots > steams imo because he needs mobility. After that you can make sac stone. Also take only 1 point in stun now and max your other 2 skills since the duration is the same at all levels.

Clan: Death and Destiny

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 11Gameslayer989 Mar 6 2011, 18:54 PM
torturer was always in my top 10 of hero's, but this new buff is way over the top. I haven't lost a game playing as him now, and with that stun so easy to land he can dominate. It was rare that i missed a stun before, now it's just too easy. He lost a lot of skill factor and gained a lot of power, like Witch Slayer always has been. I really hope S2 nerf this guy, he has become just boringly easy to play sad.gif

Clan: Team|Alias

Game: Dota 2

+
# 12KissKiss Mar 8 2011, 11:14 AM
Change to Behemoth Heart buffed him a bit too imo.

I think people overlooked him because he was traditionally this int semi-carry type hero similar to Defiler or SR that needed levels and farm. With nerfs to SacStone and the changes to Behe heart that way of playing him became a lot less viable so he slipped out of play and nobody really considered him over the more traditionally supports, perhaps rightly so.

I think what people started to realise was that he has this fucking massive AoE nuke on lowish cooldown and a great autoattack, plus really scary damage from impalement that kinda makes up for his weaknesses. Now his stun has been buffed again (and its received 2 or 3 buffs before this) everybody is suddenly like, "wow, this hero is good now" when the reality is that he was never THAT weak. Maybe the buff to his stun needs to be reversed, personally I don't think he is that OP, but if they do I wouldn't be surprised if people keep playing him...

This post has been edited by KissKiss: Mar 8 2011, 11:15 AM

+
# 13VolumeZero Mar 19 2011, 17:39 PM
Stun animation was reduced considerably meaning that it's as easy, if not easier than Pyro's stun, along with the range increase on his chains nuke gave him the buffs he needed to be a viable hero.

+
# 14MiniDonbeE Mar 20 2011, 06:14 AM
Tort obs support plx no build he carry

+
# 15Naeras Mar 20 2011, 09:32 AM
QUOTE(MiniDonbeE @ Mar 20 2011, 07:14 AM) *

Tort obs support plx no build he carry

minidonbe ops make no sense plx rewrite

+
# 16Freudian Trip Mar 20 2011, 14:26 PM
Ugh, they reverted the stun time not the cast time. Lame.

I hit 90% of my tort stuns before the buffs. Take him back to a level where people forget how awesome he is.

+
# 17Witchking' Mar 20 2011, 14:39 PM
With that comment, you seem to be some kind of person that's never satisfied, even when S2 does something useful.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)