Generals 2

Huge list of the "little things" that made Zero Hour so awesome.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21methuselah Dec 14 2011, 21:49 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. I think EA recognizes GR as the largest C&C English hub and UF as the German hub. That does not mean there are not other fine sites out there but I think those are viewed as the most influential two. As far as listening to us I think they listen but they are not beholden. They have to balance a lot of things that we do not.....budgets, deadlines, legal, human resources, not to mention the never ending single player versus multiplayer debate. So I do think they listen and react to what they think makes sense which sometimes is hard to tell.

In terms of pissing anyone off I would not do anyone any good if I took that approach. I am a volunteer nothing more. I have no authority what so ever nor do they have to put up with me at all. They do which is good and I tell them what I think whether it is what they want to hear or not.......but like I said I have no real authority so I'm not having many temper tantrums tongue.gif

If I totally did not answer your question clarify it for me and I will wink.gif

Clan: GameReplays.org

Game: Generals 2

+
# 22AgmLauncher Dec 14 2011, 21:58 PM
I don't understand why they were ok with Aaron being an integrated part of the C&C community, and now they have done a reversal on years of his efforts.

EA are going to have to observe and participate within the community when the game comes out if they want to have a shred of understanding of what the balance problems are, and what DLC people are responding to etc. If they take the same "sit back and do nothing" approach that the original Generals dev team did, then they are fucking over the community, and the long-term sales of the C&C franchise...

Clan: CrAzY

+
# 23methuselah Dec 14 2011, 22:15 PM
I think you misunderstood me. The developers themselves are discouraged from interacting with the masses both here and on the official forums (god I miss you Jeremy) and this is true of many developers. As for CIRE I think you will see him, much like APOC, become more and more entrenched in the community as time goes on. Remember, he's only been there about 9 months, continent hopped for months, moved his family halfway across the world and has probably just found the men's room tongue.gif

What I mean by that is that APOC had been immersed in the culture at EALA for years. CIRE is very new to it and my guess is the people that sign his check had him focused internally initially especially in light of the fact that nothing was going on externally. Keep in mind a lot of this is just an educated guess if you will on my part but my suspicion (not to mention my hope) is that as time passes you'll see more and more of him in the community.

+
# 24Mooff Dec 14 2011, 22:31 PM
We talked to him on monday in a 24min voice interview (in german and released as a podcast) and one question was about his workday. You can read the summary here (in english): http://www.united-forum.de/news/cnc-s5/uf-...0.html#comments (podcast on youtube and german summary can be found there as well).

Second question should cover it:

UF: What is EA_CIREs typical workday?

His role in the community is not beeing the most active guy on the boards (he reads a lot though!), but to influence the team in order to create a great game that the fans enjoy very much. One of the reasons for him beeing community manager is his insight in the community and beeing a voice for the community as part of the C&C developer team.

This post has been edited by Mooff: Dec 14 2011, 22:40 PM

+
# 25kustodian Dec 15 2011, 00:25 AM
I know I read this list a few years earlier, but now I read it again and I'm pretty satisfied that I didn't know only 2 things from that list banana.gif

I would like to add one more thing, which probably doesn't fit on that list, but ZH had the best 2v2 games ever. I never saw one game which had that many interesting and diverse 2v2 games. The units and that many armies basically gave you limitless possibilities. ExCal^ ftw happy.gif

Clan: HotOPS

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 26triumph Dec 15 2011, 04:03 AM
methuselah, i was under the impression that we were not really on the map anymore for EA since the switch from Aaron to this new fellow.

We must find this community man! And buy him beer!

Clan: EPIC

+
# 27Darky Dec 15 2011, 07:15 AM
QUOTE(methuselah @ Dec 14 2011, 19:22 PM) *

That Guide just might see the light of day one of these days. Thanks to an Agm repost it survives to this day was that a CnCReplays Guide? If I could get some industrious young fellow to do a few images for me I'd republish it in a heartbeat. It is short but good!

QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ Dec 14 2011, 19:30 PM) *

I remember reading it so I guess its already here somewhere tongue.gif

I wrote it in 2004 I think, and yes on CNCreplays.com.

And I did one on how uber pro toxic battle buses were, then people like Eficko and others got rather good at owning others with toxin biggrin.gif, especially China Nuke who was giving GLA a bit of a hard time...

Darky

Clan: Teh Admins

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 28AgmLauncher Dec 15 2011, 08:12 AM
http://www.gamereplays.org/cnczerohour/por...-unit-veterancy

There ya go Darky biggrin.gif

Clan: CrAzY

+
# 29gav73 Dec 15 2011, 08:34 AM
Ahhhh i remember making the 3 bm's ss smile.gif

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 30[OoE]MiRaGE Dec 15 2011, 10:40 AM
That's a fairly long list.

Oldschool ZH was the best smile.gif

Clan: Order Of The Elites

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 31DMraider Dec 15 2011, 10:50 AM
Great list and nice that it`s written down now. Didn`t realise there were so many things here that make Generals/Zero Hour special and great for improvisation! A different story than other RTS games.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 32vb4 Dec 15 2011, 11:42 AM
QUOTE(DMraider @ Dec 15 2011, 10:50 AM) *

Great list and nice that it`s written down now. Didn`t realise there were so many things here that make Generals/Zero Hour special and great for improvisation! A different story than other RTS games.

Yeah, sometimes the rough edges are the thing that gives a game its personality.
The engine and its quirks can be more important than the intended gameplay. This also means that it's retarded to fix every single bug without further comment.

Game: Universe at War

+
# 33DMraider Dec 15 2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah.

Although there are similarities people shouldn`t compare RTS with chess as much. RTS offers much more dynamic gameplay and if they do it really well a great list of creative opportunities. smile.gif

+
# 34methuselah Dec 15 2011, 14:55 PM
QUOTE(triumph @ Dec 14 2011, 22:03 PM) *
methuselah, i was under the impression that we were not really on the map anymore for EA since the switch from Aaron to this new fellow.

We must find this community man! And buy him beer!

I talk to him literally every single day. Well I generally let him rest on the weekends. Most weekends anyway tongue.gif

No he's very much around and active and full of good ideas and very, very committed to a competitive multiplayer environment for Gens2. Remember we are talking about a guy who was a C&C fan and participant long before he had any official role.

And his favorite game is Generals wink.gif

+
# 35triumph Dec 16 2011, 03:09 AM
That's great to know!

Faith++

Clan: EPIC

+
# 36foofightersrule Dec 17 2011, 22:46 PM
#150 Rally point scouting - Using rally points as China/GLA in a random game to determine your opponent's army by searching for a powerplant around his CC then doing the same at the supplies to differentiate between USA and China. If buildings were present you would not be able to place the rally point.

+
# 37-LikeMike- Mar 14 2012, 01:24 AM
Back on the topic of the dev team
We Apoc and 2poc posting quite abit on the cnc forums did we not?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)