RotWK Unofficial 202

Origin activation fail

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MasterBBQ Sep 26 2011, 14:24 PM
Hello dear GR friends,

Two days ago I wanted to play our precious game again (after not playing for 1-2 months), when a screen popped up which told me to activate the game by entering my EA-account e-mail adress and password. When I did that, it couldn't connect to the server.

I found out about Origin 'replacing' EADM and downloaded and installed it, tried to activate the game, but this time "I wasn't using the account I purchased the game with" (downloaded version). This is not true, I can log into Origin with the same credentials, although it doesn't recognise the activation code. It seems the game is too old to support activation by Origin.

Okay, so I went to this page, as it is supposed to be the way to activate your old games. I entered my activation code and it said
The product code submitted is already used
. However, Origin still wants me to activate the game, which seems impossible at the moment.

I have also tried running the eReg executable from the RotWK directory, but that said the game had been registered.

-Why do I suddenly have to activate the game?
-How do I do it nao?

Link to IceVice's topic with sort of, but not exactly the same problem.

Oh, and I have also contacted EA through their live chat. The more I talked to the person, the more I got the feeling this person doesn't speak English decently and it just reading possible 'fixes' from a list. After more than half an hour, I discovered he didn't even understand my problem, he was talking about logging in to the online part of the game. Which has been offline since the start of this year....

I'm so fed up with EA at the moment, you are my last hope sad.gif

Thanks in advance,
MasterBBQ

This post has been edited by MasterBBQ: Sep 26 2011, 14:26 PM

Game: Rise of the Witchking

+
# 2IceVice Sep 26 2011, 14:32 PM
I had the same problem just a not as far down the road as yours. I also found out that Download Manager had updated to Origin, so I downloaded + installed that. I didn't need an activation code though, I'm pretty sure. I just needed to (and did) log in with my EA account.

I didn't get the "you are not using the account you purchased the game with," error.

Is it possible you have 2 accounts?

Since you are signed into Origin, can your game start?

This post has been edited by IceVice: Sep 26 2011, 14:33 PM

Clan: GoF|

+
# 3MasterBBQ Sep 26 2011, 18:36 PM
I've checked it again, but I really only have 1 account. And nope, I can't play the game, it won't let me get past that activation check.

+
# 4Forlong Sep 27 2011, 01:45 AM
Your interaction with EA was not encouraging, but I think pursuing it further with them is the best chance you've got. You paid for the game so you need to be able to play it, from their perspective. The worst possible outcome of following up with them is that they give you a refund.

If you feel like the tech support guy does not understand your problem, or isn't able to resolve it, you need to ask to talk to his manager. The first guy you talk to should be able to reset whatever account thingie is the problem here (I don't understand all these EA accounts myself) AND tell you your account details, but if he can't, somebody there can.

Game: RotWK Unofficial 202

+
# 5MasterBBQ Oct 4 2011, 14:57 PM
Well, I tried EA Costumer support again, this time the person actually knew what he was talking about. However, we couldn't fix the problem sad.gif I think there should be a relatively easy way to get around this mess, but so far I haven't found it tongue.gif

Now the good thing: as a compensation for my not working game I got Crysis 2 Limited Edition for free biggrin.gif

I think more highly of EA Costumer Support after this. After all, it seems that they aren't all that stupid. Although I'll still be trying to find a way to play RotWK again.

Thanks IceVice and Forlong for your help. I hope I'll be able to report back here soon with better news.

+
# 6Forlong Oct 5 2011, 12:48 PM
You know, this is the first time I've heard of them giving out a game because they couldn't fix a problem. That bodes ill for RotWK if the online games don't work anymore... I must be very VERY careful never to open my EADM or it will probably want to update....

+
# 7Amillennialist Mar 15 2012, 08:52 AM
QUOTE(IceVice @ Sep 8 2011, 15:24 PM) *

It is fixed now. Apparently, EA Download Manager needed to upgrade/update. Now it is called "Origin." My game launches now so I guess it's all fine.

To see my previous problem, just click the spoiler box.

Spoiler

First time I've seen this thing in a while. It appears when I try to launch RotWk.

When I enter the correct passwrd/name, it says "could not connect to the servers, try again in a few minutes."

My internet is fine and I am already signed into my EA account through my browser, google chrome.

Can I bypass this thing somehow?

I'm suffering the same problem. EA's support has been -- except for Samarth -- torturous.

Any ideas?

+
# 8Forlong Mar 16 2012, 15:16 PM
EA is (or should be) perfectly capable of handling sign-on issues with their own system. I am not. tongue.gif You should ask to speak to a supervisor if the entry-level guy can't help you. In the unacceptable event that a supervisor can't resolve your issue, they should give you a free game (I believe that's what they used to do at least).

+
# 9IceVice Mar 16 2012, 22:40 PM
QUOTE(Amillennialist @ Mar 15 2012, 08:52 AM) *

I'm suffering the same problem. EA's support has been -- except for Samarth -- torturous.

Any ideas?

The program you have - is it called "EA Download Manager", or "Origin"?

+
# 10Amillennialist Mar 17 2012, 05:33 AM
QUOTE(IceVice @ Mar 16 2012, 22:40 PM) *

The program you have - is it called "EA Download Manager", or "Origin"?

Origin.

EA's broken the Digital version of Rise of the Witch-king. (They probably shut down authentication when they shut down the multiplayer servers.)

The DVD version doesn't suffer from the authentication problem.

They should fix it, or give owners of the digital version a copy of the DVD.

+
# 11IceVice Mar 17 2012, 15:14 PM
I have a digital copy too and it is working fine.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)