Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

VVSMG Video Guide Series

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Inverse Nov 20 2011, 21:20 PM
Thanks for all the support!! <3

Part 1: The Build

Hey guys! I'm proud to unveil the first in a recurring series of build order guides, created with the intention of providing broad and deep analysis of some of the build orders in Company of Heroes. Our first episode features Seph's extremely popular Volks Volks Sniper MG (VVSMG) build order.

In this segment, I look at the build itself and some general tips for each of the maps I will be featuring in later videos. Subsequent segments will go into far greater depth; I will cast a game of my own on each map and each starting position, with an emphasis on explaining how the build operates and interacts with my opponent's play. I will then wrap up the episode with some replays of other top players in the Company of Heroes community who use this build, in order to show how different players approach the same core concepts.

As always, I love reading comments, so let me know how you like this particular format. Enjoy!!

Part 2: South Angoville

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Angoville when starting at the south spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 3: North Angoville

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Angoville when starting at the north spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 4: South Langres

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Langres when starting at the south spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 4-2: South Langres...Again!

So I thought I did North Langres last time. Turns out I did South Langres. Oops. Since I didn't realize until after I had recorded, I'm posting it anyways.

Hooray bonus content!! ^^ North Langres video will be up ASAP.

Part 5: North Langres

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Langres when starting at the north spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 6: South Sturzdorf

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Sturzdorf when starting at the south spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 7: North Sturzdorf

In this segment, I look at the specifics of the build on Sturzdorf when starting at the north spawn location, as well as some general ideas about playing the strategy on that map.

Part 8: Aimstrong on North Semois

In this segment, I look top player Aimstrong's VVSMG play from North Semois, as well as some of his transitions and variations through every stage of the game.

Part 9: Sepha on South Langres

In this segment, I look at a few games played by Sepha himself, and talk a bit about his earlygame and how he likes to tech in transition.

Part 10: Wuuuuuu!

The final part of the first episode of Build Order Breakdown. A tribute to Wu.

This post has been edited by Inverse: Sep 8 2012, 18:02 PM

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Trainzz Nov 20 2011, 22:04 PM
Nice work!

Edit: Very very very good introduction for any sort of players, giving some hints for the maps and giving a basic game plan for everyone who wants to try to use this with a lot of insights. Very nice! Looking really forward to the next casts!

This post has been edited by ILikeTrainz: Nov 20 2011, 22:29 PM

Clan: Wheres My Demo

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 3Abraham Lincoln Nov 21 2011, 03:47 AM
Awesome guide, I appreciate it! Keep it up!

+
# 4piwawsky Nov 21 2011, 09:56 AM
QUOTE(Abraham Lincoln @ Nov 21 2011, 05:47 AM) *

Awesome guide, I appreciate it! Keep it up!

+1

+
# 5iLikeTolstoi Nov 21 2011, 17:44 PM
Preferred doctrine?

This post has been edited by iLikeTolstoi: Nov 21 2011, 19:00 PM

+
# 6Inverse Nov 21 2011, 21:04 PM
Terror

+
# 7Wellink Nov 21 2011, 21:47 PM
Very very very good guide inverse!

+
# 8U!LTRA Nov 21 2011, 22:14 PM
Freaking AWESOME initiative of you to do this Inverse smile.gif V-V-S-MG is one of my most favourite builds! And least preferred to face!

+
# 9RunToTheSun Nov 22 2011, 00:44 AM
very well done , i like your way of casting . easy to understand , well executed .
All in all pretty nice , only thing i miss is some Ango rhs playstyle wink.gif

also what i just noticed , you totally skipped what to do when you face a wsc early to counter your sniper , i know its not that common , but some players tend to do so.

This post has been edited by RunToTheSun: Nov 22 2011, 00:59 AM

Clan: Allstars

+
# 10Inverse Nov 24 2011, 16:33 PM
Part 2 posted, south Angoville replay analysis!

+
# 11RunToTheSun Nov 24 2011, 17:36 PM
great , watch it asap , when i have the time.

Clan: Allstars

+
# 12piwawsky Nov 24 2011, 17:47 PM
great job inverse! Keep up the good work!

+
# 13Trainzz Nov 24 2011, 17:49 PM
Some questions tongue.gif

1. Do you ever go Def in early game?

2. What do you think about Blitz doctrine, mainly the StuH, when staying with Vet2 infantry and not teching to T3?

3. What do you think about T4?

Also, very nice work so far smile.gif

+
# 14Inverse Nov 24 2011, 18:18 PM
I don't find Defensive very useful early with this strategy. FTFL doesn't really help that much with your sniper, and you're accepting being forced to retreat if your opponent flanks you well. FTFL isn't going to help you survive a flank with 4 BARed rifles and 2 flamers when you only have 2 Volks and an MG as core anti-flank units, and the increased sight, while nice for keeping your sniper alive, isn't worth forcing yourself into a hamstrung doctrine. Furthermore, I find lategame sniper spam extremely difficult to deal with; going Defensive only encourages earlier mass snipers.

The main goal of this guide is to explain the theory, give examples of earlygame unit movement and positioning, and suggest some possible transitions based on what your opponent is doing and what I know works based on experience. If you want to try different transitions out of earlygame, that's perfectly fine. Do whatever works for you.

T4 is useful with this strategy in a very specific set of circumstances. If your opponent is playing extremely passively and massing up snipers, it can be far too risky pushing with only Pumas. In that case, T4 would be extremely helpful. However, against more standard infantry-heavy or Motor Pool-heavy play, T3 or T2 with vet are far superior. T4 doesn't hit quickly enough to defend against Shermans, and gives your opponent a huge window of opportunity while you're investing in expensive tech instead of units.

+
# 15Trainzz Nov 24 2011, 18:52 PM
Thx!

+
# 16Inverse Dec 1 2011, 08:31 AM
Daily updates will begin Saturday and last until the guide is finished. Until then, I kill myself with schoolwork.

+
# 17SemInt Dec 2 2011, 21:58 PM
Very nice iniative.

I do think that from South Angoville the right side is preferable, especially with the sniper. It does require a lot of tricks and specific knowledge, but there should be a guide appearing on the portal soon about that. tongue.gif

Secondly, if you go for the left side first, I agree with you that you have to pick the right side eventually. I think in the game against Nosliw, you could have done it earlier. Certainly when you were splitting up a bit, I think that was a bit risky. You said he didn't really allow you to pick a side, but at that time, had you used all your forces on the right, I think it would have been a relatively easy grab.

Finally, I do think there is a good aggressive use for Propaganda War: it's really useful to remove riflesquad support from AT guns. After the rifles are gone, you can easily flank it with an Puma/Ostwind/P4 without getting stickied or you can just rush it with infantry.

Clan: Suck it Trebek!

+
# 18snekasan Dec 4 2011, 15:43 PM
Hi there, long time reader, first time writer here.

This guide is a really nice piece of work. I watched them both since I thought I had issues with my WM (I still find it quite hard in the early game). After watching I almost instantly moved to a 10-2 against pretty even US-players ranked lv 8-12 (I've been hanging out at lv10-11 for all 4 factions and seem to have hit a glass ceiling).

In the games I lost I noticed poor execution from my side primarily, some poor decisions early (once I floated 600MP and just forgot to build a MG) and some games I've aslo lost against trolling opponents (brits parking their HQ truck outside my High Fuel on Semiois South) but I'm not counting those.

I really like the way you go through each map and I've been able to up my game significantly, using wire better, daring to be more aggressive later in games and "killing" matches, almost always getting snipers up to 20+ kills, being better with Med Bunkers and in the end using the KT to turn around games where I've previously been bullied.

I know this seems largely a review or a big praise-a-thon but in the few days I've played it it has really helped. Far beyond just reading the thread on the same topic.

One issue I seem to have had in many games is being pressured early on VP's (I guess SemInt made that comment about the right side in your replay). Many times it feels very difficult to work in a "comfortable" zone feeling the game is under control and sticking it out until the end I quite often find myself in desperate smash and grab missions with a single squad desperately trying to cap a single VP. But hey I guess I shouldn't be complaining. Looking forward to more on this, I just might enter a tourney these days with my newfound confidence. I guess a lv9-10 is a smurf hunt there but whatever.

+
# 19Inverse Dec 4 2011, 22:07 PM
Part 3 up, from north Ango!

+
# 20snekasan Dec 6 2011, 19:55 PM
can this be made sticky???

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)