Company of Heroes

Commentator Spotlight: Inverse

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Basilone™ Nov 28 2011, 03:14 AM
In this new series, GameReplays will be showcasing its distinguished members that have put in the hard work to provide us with high quality shoutcasts for entertainment and educational purposes on the Company of Heroes section. The first installment is dedicated to Inverse, who has been on staff and has done audio replay reviews for two years.

IPB Image

GameReplays: So what was your motivation for picking up the mic? Anyone special that has inspired you as a shout caster?

Inverse: I actually started out writing replay reviews in the CoH strategy forums here on GR, then eventually transitioned over to audio reviews after listening to BoH (an old replay reviewer and a great guy who was actually the person who first got me on staff) cast some games in the replay review format. I enjoyed the format far more than a standard shoutcast; it played to my strengths and gave me time to approach the game at my own speed. My brand of excitement is more a quiet, reverent one, and this style doesn't really translate into successful play-by-play commentary.

When Company of Heroes Online launched, I saw a community of players who were using many of the same tools CoH player had been using for years, but had very little idea how to use them correctly. This was the motivation behind my first-person videocasts, which was my breakout as a commentator. I was able to take my experience with audio reviews and project that onto an entirely new audience with an entirely new (relatively speaking) medium of first-person video content delivered via YouTube.

As for individuals I was influenced by, in the Company of Heroes community I owe a lot of my success to BoH and d4m, and attempted to model myself as a caster mainly on TychoCelchuuu, with some bits from Cadmus, The Beard, Cindex, and Yoink thrown in. I actually feel my particular style of casting has been influenced more by individuals outside CoH, however. I have a great deal of respect for Starcraft analyst Artosis, and model my current casting style off of him more than anybody else. I also have Day[9] to thank for elements of my educational casting style as well as a great deal of my general RTS knowledge and theory.

GameReplays: Not only are you a great caster, but you are a pretty strong player as well. Any general advice you would like to share?

Inverse: Play a lot, ask for help, and be willing and able to analyze a loss as objectively as possible. Company of Heroes is actually a unique game in that it is not uncommon to see players who win 75% or more of their games; top Starcraft players, by comparison, have around 60% winrates at their primes. This emphasis on wins makes it very difficult for players to improve, since they care more about good ratios than they do actually improving as a player. When you detach yourself from winning and losing, you gain so much more from every game you play, regardless of the outcome.

As for specifics on improving, pick a faction and a playstyle and stick with it until you know it inside and out. For me, that was playing only Americans for nearly a year and going 4 Rifles into BARs every single game. When you go into a game and you know exactly what it is you are working on, you gain so much more from your practice. Furthermore, do not shy away from losing to good players. Seek out the best players you can find, get excited when you see that high-level symbol on the load screen, and constantly badger good players for practice games. The better your opponents, the better you will be.

GameReplays: When did you start playing Company of Heroes?

Inverse: I first started playing in January 2009.

GameReplays: What is your overall attitude towards 2.602?

Inverse: I love it. In my 3 years with the game, it is without a doubt the best patch yet in terms of balance. As for the metagame, I personally feel it is too early to tell. That being said, I really enjoy the current vanilla matchup. The minor Wehrmacht T1 buffs force more games into the midgame, whereas the Pak changes make American midgame vehicle play far more viable. It's a very interesting dynamic that I anticipate we'll see change over the coming months.

As for the OF matchups, I personally find Brits vs. Wehrmacht to be a little stale, but I have not done enough experimenting with the new builds developed this patch to really make a definitive statement. It's just unfortunate that Brits seem forced into going Staghounds in order to really stand a chance against a lategame Wehrmacht army.

Americans vs. PE is, of course, the matchup of controversy this patch. I personally love it: it's dynamic, it rewards quick decision-making, and it demands precise play by both sides. Builds have diversified an incredible amount for both factions as well. No longer do we see fast M8 vs. fast AC 90% of the time. People have been working fast WSC play, heavy infantry play, and quick Supply Yard upgrades into successful builds, which is really exciting to see. Ketten pushing is problematic on some maps, but simply requires some adjustments on the American player's part and is only a serious issue very early in games. As a player who has experienced PE as unbeatable (in 2.301) and unable to win (in 2.601), I feel the current state of the faction is superb.

Of course, this is all disregarding maps, which play a significant role in balance. The fact that Company of Heroes has finally gotten to the point where maps can be cited in balance discussion over faction imbalances is an indication of just how well this patch plays right now. The main issue is the terrible map pool, especially for 1v1. Not many people would argue that the current map pool greatly favours PE against Americans, and that many of the maps are heavily favoured for one side or the other in the vanilla matchup as well. The main issue with maps in Company of Heroes is the fact that each of the factions and matchups play out so incredibly differently. I find it difficult to imagine a map which would afford balance to all factions in all matchups.

GameReplays: What advice would you give to any future commentators out there?

Inverse: Figure out what you're good at and run with it. If you're a funny guy and you like to talk, work on your play-by-play and maybe look for a co-caster to fill the role of analyst. If you're like me and prefer the analytic approach, think about educational content or look to form a team with a play-by-play guy.

Whatever your choice, however, I feel it is essential that a commentator attempt to become at least proficient at the game. Viewers come for the entertainment, but if you don't have any substance to back it all up with, you're going to have a tough time finding a consistent audience.

GameReplays: What is your favorite of all your casts?

Inverse: I hate picking a favourite. If I had to, though, I'd probably have to go with the FPVOD of myself against nystrom from Company of Heroes Online. That and the Scheldt Strategic Analysis videos I did for April Fool's last year.

Inverse versus Nystrom FPVOD

Scheldt Strategic Analysis

GameReplays: You live in Canada, eh? Ever played hockey?

Inverse: I played hockey up until I was 15 or 16, when I started focusing a lot more on baseball. It's a great sport to play, but I can't stand watching it.

GameReplays: I do know you play a bit of baseball. How is that going?

Inverse: Pretty good, we're in off-season right now so I'm just trying to catch up on schoolwork and relax a little bit. I'm a Junior middle infielder at the University of British Columbia, and we just barely lost last year in the playoffs to the team that ended up going on to win the NAIA World Series. Our team is looking good this year; I'm definitely liking our chances.

GameReplays: I’m sure collegiate athletes get plenty of women, *winks* am I right?

Inverse: Haha, my girlfriend actually lives back home in Ontario, so I try to keep the partying to a minimum while I'm out at school.

GameReplays: Any other games you enjoy?

Inverse: I play, and watch, a lot of Starcraft 2. A lot of my CoH theory and mindset actually comes from some of the big names in SC2, such as Artosis, Day[9], and Liquid`Tyler. I used to play HoN, but haven't touched it in over a year. I play some random FPSes (Bad Company 2, TF2, and L4D2) with a friend of mine from back home, but nothing really serious. Aside from multiplayer games, I've been playing way too much Skyrim. That game has stolen more hours from me this week than I would care to admit.

GameReplays: Any questions you want me to ask?

Inverse: Nope, summed things up pretty well *grins*

GameReplays: Any pics you want to share?

Inverse: Not really, it's November, so the stache is out in full force *smiles*

GameReplays: Any shout outs?

Inverse: Shoutout to my clanmates in Reign of Madness: warhawks, you sexy beast, Peacekeeper for suffering through 2v2s with me, G0Sub for convincing me to buy Skyrim, you bastard, Wu for kicking my ass and teaching me way too much, Dan for more reasons that I have room to mention, Siou for beings so damn baller, DoM for being the man; Jim for carrying me in team games, RiSiN for many laughs in the Goodie Room, Chev for being Chev, and everyone else I forgot or failed to mention. Much manlove to you all.

I'd also like to thank the community and everyone who's supported/watched/listened to me over the last few years. It's been a great experience, and I anticipate many more years to come. Thanks!!

This post has been edited by sgtBasilone: Dec 14 2011, 18:55 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached highlight
Attached Image

Clan: Reborn

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 2Inverse Nov 28 2011, 03:35 AM
<3

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3BandofBurgers Nov 28 2011, 04:37 AM
I love Inverse TV. What I've learned a lot from him is the way he tries to predict what the opponent is teching to. I try to adopt that to my own play style. smile.gif

+
# 4GlbSoN Nov 28 2011, 10:30 AM
Awesome! I remember learning a lot from his shoutcasts. smile.gif

+
# 5AmiPolizeiFunk Nov 28 2011, 17:00 PM
BoH recruited me too! wub.gif

Great interview, enjoyed it... very eloquent. Nice timing too!

+
# 6HeliaXDemoN Nov 29 2011, 00:06 AM
This map is complete unbalance, who can he like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiyvh13A0Wk

+
# 7Tommy. Nov 29 2011, 00:20 AM
I think you missed the point...lol
Check the date he posted it

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 8Basilone™ Nov 29 2011, 01:01 AM
I guess his blatant sarcasm wasn't blatant enough for some folks laugh.gif

+
# 9Schmieds Nov 29 2011, 03:16 AM
UBC? They have a GIANT SC2 community, no?

Clan: LaX

+
# 10Inverse Nov 29 2011, 03:25 AM
Yeah, they won CSL last season I think. They were in the finals for sure.

+
# 11xxxFearxxx Dec 1 2011, 14:56 PM
Awesome!

we love this game and we love Inverse

and we loved COHO

This post has been edited by xxxFearxxx: Dec 1 2011, 14:56 PM

+
# 12Wu299 Dec 2 2011, 07:00 AM
I love this guy. Keep up good work Inverse

+
# 13Kat Dec 3 2011, 17:44 PM
Mustache ftw!

+
# 14LarkinVB Dec 9 2011, 13:59 PM
Links to Part 3 and 4 of Inverse versus Nystrom FPVOD are the same.

+
# 15Basilone™ Dec 14 2011, 18:54 PM
QUOTE(LarkinVB @ Dec 9 2011, 08:59 AM) *

Links to Part 3 and 4 of Inverse versus Nystrom FPVOD are the same.

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed.

+
# 16CallMeSarge Dec 15 2011, 08:35 AM
Awesome idea doing this, Inverse has been a great servant to this community.

Clan: Wheres My Demo

+
# 17Suicidesheep Jan 11 2012, 08:27 AM
All i can say is:
INVERSE FTW
Really appreciate what you do for coh-community, maximum respect.
PLS keep it going...

+
# 18KingDuCe Jan 11 2012, 15:30 PM
QUOTE(Sappo @ Jan 11 2012, 08:27 AM) *

All i can say is:
INVERSE FTW
Really appreciate what you do for coh-community, maximum respect.
PLS keep it going...

so so true, luckily for us he has his new computer now!

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)