StarCraft 2

Generals 2 announced

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41AgmLauncher Feb 8 2012, 17:39 PM
Diamond before masters were top 20% So you were at best top 10%

I'd like to know where you're getting your stats from. I was getting mine from sc2ranks.com since that's the only place they exist as far as I know.

At present, SC2 ranks has 3,562,537 players in its database. If you view the Diamond league, it will give you about 545 pages of results, with 100 rows per page. That's 54,500.

54,500/3,562,537 is just 1.5%, and that is what it's CURRENTLY at. Back before Masters existed, Diamond was a little more exclusive, and I was about 1400 Diamond when the top players were at about 2000 and some of the lower diamonds were at 1100 or so. So simply being in Diamond at all automatically put me in the top 1%.

Further, SC2 ranks will be biased towards diamond and higher tier players, and many of the bronze/silver/gold league players won't be in the database at all. So if you add in all the player that were missing, proportionately larger numbers of players from bronze/silver/gold would be added, meaning Diamond was an even SMALLER fraction of the total number of players.

So I don't know where you get your 20% figure from. If you have another source, then fine, but as far as I know, Diamond was, and still is, quite an accomplishment when you look at the big picture (especially since you can get there on macro alone).

I'm not trying to argue that macro alone will make you a tournament grade player. Obviously at some point you need to start mastering timings, build orders, micro, and knowing when to balance your attention between micro and macro, but to get into the top 1% of players world-wide, you can pretty much just treat the game like it's SimCity....

Clan: CrAzY

Game: Generals 2

+
# 42DarkSanta Feb 8 2012, 17:50 PM
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Batt...ues#The_Leagues

So yes, top 20% is an accomplishment, I guess in clanwars that would make you a top 10 warrior.

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4312azor Feb 8 2012, 17:50 PM
I've seen AGM play some games before and based on the evidence I don't think he is top 20% either.

+
# 44Sly Feb 8 2012, 21:44 PM
AGM you were in diamond in America, a significant distinction to make as its one of the worst ladders, which has 1,321,137 players in 1v1 in it. The number of players in Diamond league looked a lot different back when there was no masters or grandmasters leagues, there were a lot more players in diamond, so your formula doesnt really apply whatsoever, and I'd say Conflict's figure is a hell of a lot closer to the truth at 20%. For the record I was also in Diamond, and I'm still in Diamond because admittedly I'm pretty shitty at the game and dont have a lot of time to commit to really learning the deep mechanics as Conflict mentioned, but I still think its damn fun every time I play which at the end of the day is what matters. It's nothing like SimCity, however many people, including me, LOVE SimCity, and that's ok to which you seem to be saying is not. It's ok to not have fun playing a game, but there's no reason to dump all over it because you personally don't enjoy it.

This post has been edited by Sly: Feb 8 2012, 22:19 PM

+
# 4512azor Feb 8 2012, 21:56 PM
QUOTE(Sly @ Feb 8 2012, 22:44 PM) *

AGM you were in diamond in America, one of the worst ladders, which has 1,321,137 players in 1v1 in it.

US servers are always the easiest in all games. It is known.

+
# 4613laded Feb 8 2012, 21:57 PM
It is known

+
# 47kogu Feb 8 2012, 22:51 PM
yep it is known, that's why I play on Canadian Servers \(^o^)/

Game: Blizzard

+
# 48CowGoMoo Feb 14 2012, 18:41 PM
I actually never view our public forums so i missed this topic ;o

Gens2 will hopefully be good, but I really doubt it will be.

As far as talking about top X%, I don't think its worth counting all of the people that have no desire to be very good at something in your stats. So if 90% of all SC2 players don't give a shit about being competitive in the game, then you need to skim off the bottom 90% to figure out where you stand.

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 49Elegy Mar 3 2012, 03:54 AM
It is known.

Game: None

+
# 50MaDDoX Apr 16 2012, 04:14 AM
QUOTE(triumph @ Dec 23 2011, 01:08 AM) *

Maybe if he's not raging over his tools or whatever he seems to be developing now.

Funny you tongue.gif

And YO! I'm back smile.gif Finally found some time to play stuff again.
TF2 and MoW (Tri, all your fault) to get my feet wet slowly. Waaay too much rust to clean up.

Oh and Generals 2 is gonna suck. Simply because it has Orcas. There, I prophetized happy.gif
Seriously, Generals was/is all about modern times, realistic-ish weaponry. I remember people raving during some of those US oil-greedy invasions (is Jon still around here? hope not tongue.gif) how cool it was that the americans were using the same Tomahawk missiles we had in the game.

Then a little bit of futurism like laser weaponry and drones looked fine but... ORCAS? WTF! dry.gif I know, this is "theme" and has nothing to do with the "barebones RTS side of things" but it has all to do with how marketable the game is. Which has all to do with it getting an actual 'long run' or not.

About SC2, I think Browder is a genius - but he had too many strings attached to actually turn this game into "his own" as it should be. And the main thing he put so much weight to make sure it actually *was* in, the larger squad battles, doesn't actually fit the Starcraft style. Not hard to predict, even if I was cheering it wouldn't happen. I guess that's what Launcher is talking about in essence, although I think he misguided the conveyance of his point with a "I'm good enough to know this" statement which's very hard to back in a Koreans-ruled environment. Just my $0.02 smile.gif

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 51DarkSanta Apr 16 2012, 05:39 AM
DB is the biggest moron alive.

+
# 52triumph Apr 16 2012, 07:27 AM
QUOTE(DarkSanta @ Apr 15 2012, 22:39 PM) *

DB is the biggest moron alive.

What? No love for DK? C'mon, if you play the blame game be a pro at it.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 53ServaNt Apr 16 2012, 20:16 PM
balance is good though, just the gameplay design is hurting on every side. And more so the current ideas for HoTs seem rather ''lacking''

I do hope cncg II will be a good game though. Most likely it will be the same terrible shit as most EA garbage but who knows maybe it wont. Hope some more infos will come out soon rather than some avatar clone unit shooting some missles at some truck in some dessert.

This post has been edited by ServaNt: Apr 16 2012, 20:27 PM

+
# 54CowGoMoo Apr 17 2012, 00:57 AM
If you worked with DB in person, you would feel differently.

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 55MaDDoX Apr 30 2012, 14:24 PM
QUOTE(CowGoMoo @ Apr 16 2012, 21:57 PM) *
If you worked with DB in person, you would feel differently.

Yeah I'm probably wrong about him, too easy to confuse the good ideas of C&C Generals and BfME with "his" ideas. It made sense because he was the lead designer but, well, it was a team - and when Triumph told me he thinks map design have nothing to do with balance (or something like that) my fairy castle crumbled down smile.gif

No idea then why after he left the company games design quality went down so steeply.. maybe the good ideas came from his sidekick, a guy that left EA at the same time he did?

+
# 56Sly May 3 2012, 08:11 AM
BRENO! mordor 4 lyfe

+
# 57MaDDoX May 5 2012, 12:57 PM
QUOTE(Sly @ May 3 2012, 05:11 AM) *
BRENO! mordor 4 lyfe

Wha?!? No idea what you're talking about, I was never biased towards Mordor! Not that I remember, anyways happy.gif

+
# 5813laded May 5 2012, 16:57 PM
MORDOR 4 LYFE

+
# 59ServaNt May 5 2012, 18:59 PM
wasnt that with free orks in bfme or something?

+
# 60MaDDoX May 6 2012, 03:13 AM
QUOTE(ServaNt @ May 5 2012, 15:59 PM) *

wasnt that with free orks in bfme or something?

Yep. Since I was quite fond of the free orcs idea, I got this fame that I wanted an OP mordor smile.gif
In practice after the 'battletests' Mordor ended up competitive, but required quite some 'finesse' to succeed.
Quite proud of it tbh, especially 'coz it seemed to enchant many of the best players - which adopted it "for lyfe", as you can see wink.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)