Generals 2

Blog: Why Squads Should Not Be In Generals 2

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21AgmLauncher Dec 23 2011, 22:01 PM
QUOTE(ParanoidKami @ Dec 23 2011, 16:08 PM) *

How is it almost identical? There are different lengths and placements of cover in the game where some are better for larger squads and some for smaller sized squads. Depending on how large the squad is aoe can be more or less effective. Different building will have different effects for different squad sizes due to the available places for shooting varying. There is math involved in going around with a full squad and with a damaged squad. Run around with a damaged squad and you can get more map control or go back to base to reinforce and concede map control in the process. The upkeep mechanic would contain much less economy depth in it as each squad has population. Yes, you could make all the squads into single units but that would just ruin the depth, strategy, and limit the mechanics in the game. Squads make sense for Relic games because they're designed to be tactical, but they certainly would make sense in an a-move blob game like SC2.

Eh I guess, but you can still implement cover such that it can fit a small or large number of individual infantry, or different types of cover for different types of infantry. I know you can do that with squads as well, but the point is you can simulate almost anything you can do with squads, with individual infantry. Thus the mechanical differences between the two aren't as drastic as their appearance makes them out to be.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: Generals 2

+
# 22ParanoidKami Dec 23 2011, 22:29 PM
QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ Dec 23 2011, 15:01 PM) *

Eh I guess, but you can still implement cover such that it can fit a small or large number of individual infantry, or different types of cover for different types of infantry. I know you can do that with squads as well, but the point is you can simulate almost anything you can do with squads, with individual infantry. Thus the mechanical differences between the two aren't as drastic as their appearance makes them out to be.

You can simulate anything with everything, but it's not always the same. There are new mechanics that evolve as new features are added and that creates depth. In Dow 2 there are single unit commanders or sub-commanders as well as the regular squads and many different armour types for each. It creates a variety of different types of units on the battlefield rather than just one single type of unit.

Clan: The Rally Point

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 23AgmLauncher Dec 23 2011, 22:38 PM
It creates a variety of different types of units on the battlefield rather than just one single type of unit.

True, but C&C games handle that with tanks/vehicles/planes etc. So I just don't see why there is a need for squads in C&C games.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: Generals 2

+
# 24ParanoidKami Dec 24 2011, 01:11 AM
QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ Dec 23 2011, 15:38 PM) *

True, but C&C games handle that with tanks/vehicles/planes etc. So I just don't see why there is a need for squads in C&C games.

And there aren't any single unit tanks/vehicles/whatnot in any of the DoW or CoH games as we all know wink.gif Anyways, both single units and squads offer different types of depth to a game and using either of them works depending on what the design of the game in question is. I was only ever talking about how squads work and how they're not worse than single units. I never said a word about whether or not it would be better in Generals 2 or not as I have never liked a C&C game before so don't have enough experience to talk about it.

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 25PaPerBaG. Dec 24 2011, 21:42 PM
Personally I think the squad system in relic games is very good for an RTS but it's just not CnC without having many individual units on the field at any time.

+
# 26Star Ocean Dec 30 2011, 18:59 PM
Squads in COH exist to preserve veterency and limit capping power. This isn't needed in generals and having 6 individual soldiers has more potential than a single 6 man squad.

Clan: H2

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 27Shodar87 Jan 5 2012, 22:11 PM
Squad design worked well in DoW since theres was real depth for using squad design (customization (weapon upgrades, leaders, attaching Heroes), morale, fluff, overall balance, abilities, gameplay etc). Itīs nonsense to say that it was just psychological thing, DoW simply could not be designed for individual units and use features it has.

But G2 should not have squads, itīs different game, different gameplay, different world. It would require MUCH better control over squads and individuals in squad + actually real reason to have infantry in squads instead of individuals. It worked well in Generals, unless they want to completely redesign gameplay of G2 (to make it worked like CoH with BETTER squad control), it should stay as it was in G1.

This post has been edited by Shodar87: Jan 5 2012, 22:46 PM

Game: Left 4 Dead

+
# 28Al_Ka_Pwn Jan 16 2012, 00:49 AM
I don't know why anyone didn't mention the fact that in the relic games one of the big things about squads is that it's always a lot cheaper to reinforce them than it is to build a new one. So in regards to the post of there being no reason not to target an almost dead squad over a full health squad, if you kill t squad totally dead, you've essentially lost your opponent 200 extra dollars than what he have had to pay reinforcing it

So it creates situations like in COH where the last of a knight's cross unit is running away and you are frantically trying to get your snipers and tanks to finish him off before he can escape.

+
# 29ServaNt Jan 16 2012, 12:27 PM
dow 2 lol, fucking Usain Bolt on the 100m is nothing compared to retreating space marines with a 100000 kg suit.

Game: None

+
# 30Shodar87 Jan 16 2012, 12:48 PM
Space Marine has an advantage gained via run-to-momma button which gives you those god like powers. Theres no other way how he could survive such run without it.

Game: Left 4 Dead

+
# 31Crypt Rat Jan 17 2012, 01:35 AM
On a tangential note, was it ever correct to target the rocket drones on USA units first?

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 32foofightersrule Jan 22 2012, 00:24 AM
Yeah, depending on the unit. I.e. a gatling tank and a listening outpost should fire on a hellfire drone mothered by a tank, out of range of the tank, before trying to engage it since the hellfire drone is good against both the gatling tank, the outpost and the tank hunters inside. Without the drone the tank stands no chance, but with it, the tank can crack open the outpost, kill the tank hunters and finally kill the gatling tank that does virtually no damage to it.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)