Dawn of War 2

Rokco's Unit Icon Guide

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Rokco Jan 11 2012, 21:17 PM
Rokco's Unit Icon Guide!

By unit icons I means these things -

IPB Image

A lot of you guys won't find this helpful, but hey, it might help new people understand what type of units they are coming up against and it was pretty easy for me to do. If I have made any mistakes please let me know below and I will fix them.

Example Icon and explanations-
IPB Image

Weapon/Damage Type - This is what type of damage the unit will do, it will vary from being melee or ranged, Anti-vehicle or area of effect, suppression or grenades. I go through the different icons down below.

Commander Borders - These are two little blue "wings" that are only found on an army's commander's icon.

Health - Pretty self explanatory; when this hits 0, the unit dies.

Energy - Also pretty obvious; Energy is used for abilities and to power some shields.

Extra Icon Spaces - This is space for more, smaller icons to further describe what a unit can do. I go through these below.

Cover Marker - These are 2, small markers on either side of a unit's health bar to signify whether the unit is even partially in cover. They will either be green or orange or not there at all; green being strong cover, orange week cover and no cover at all if they aren't there.

Weapon or Damage Type

Ranged

Spoiler

Normal ranged damage -
IPB Image
This is what most starting ranged units and commanders have. Does damage to all infantry, but not vehicles. This is your most all rounded damage or weapon type.

Unit Examples -
Scouts
Shootas
Termagaunts
Plague Champion

Strong normal ranged damage -
IPB Image
Similar to Normal ranged damage above, just usually more powerful.

Unit Examples -
Techmarine upgraded with Overcharged Plasma Gun
Tactical Space Marines
Shootas upgraded with Big Shootas
Chaos Space Marines

Suppression -
IPB Image
Suppression is a mechanic that makes units under it's effect have greatly reduced movement speeds and firing speeds. They usually have a set-up time and an arc of fire and do more damage the closer you get to them.

Unit Examples -
Devastator Squads
Lootas
Shuriken Cannon Squads
Barbed Strangler Warrior Broods

Sniper -
IPB Image
Sniper units have a slow rate of fire but do very high burst damage versus infantry, often times able to kill models in one hit, causing bad bleed for the enemy. They have very, very little effect on buildings or vehicles, have a short set-up time and are long range.

Unit Examples -
Rangers
Scouts upgraded with Sniper Rifles

Anti-vehicle -
IPB Image
Anti-vehicle (AV) weapons are very powerful weapons which do high damage to vehicles and buildings, but are very inaccurate and ineffective versus most infantry. Many have a set-up and arc of fire and some have a vehicle snare, slowing vehicle units down on hit.

Unit Examples -
Havocs upgraded with Mark of Tzeench
Tank Bustas
Venom Brood
Bright Lance

Anti-everything
IPB Image
Anti-everything weapons do what their name suggests, they are good versus all infantry and vehicles. May of these are melta guns and have other drawbacks such as short range.

Unit Examples -
Techmarine upgraded with Meltagun
Autarch upgraded with Fusion Gun
Inquisitor upgraded with Inferno Pistol
Weird Boy

Heavy Anti-everything
IPB Image
Like Anti-everything, just stronger. Limited to artillery pieces with a low rate of fire but huge damage to all targets.

Unit Examples -
Plasma Cannon Devastator Squad

Area of Effect
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
A slightly different icon in that you never find it on its own. It will be accompanied by another icon that is listed above to give you an Area of Effect (AOE) version of that damage type. The above pictures are from Plasma Cannon Devastator Squad, Scouts with Shotguns and a Barbed Strangler Warrior Brood. On some artillery pieces.

Unit Examples -
Plasma Cannon Devastator Squad
Scouts with Shotguns
Barbed Strangler Warrior Brood
Noise Marines.

Melee

Spoiler

Normal melee
IPB Image
This is the basic melee type, effective against infantry units. Comes on most starting melee units and melee commanders. Ineffective versus vehicles.

Unit Examples -
Sluggas
Hormagaunts
Force Commander
Assault Space Marines

Power melee
IPB Image
Similar to Normal melee but more effective versus Heavy and Super-heavy armour such as that worn by Tactical Space Marines. NOTE Chaos Lord is the only hero who starts with power melee.

Unit Examples -
Banshees
Assault Space Marines upgraded with Sargent
Chaos Lord
Force Commander with Power Sword

Heavy Melee
IPB Image
Melee effective against all targets, including vehicles.

Unit Examples -
Banshees upgraded with Aspect and Exarch

Powerful Heavy melee
IPB Image
A more powerful version of heavy melee.

Unit Examples -
Warboss with Power Klaw
Farseer with Singing Spear
Nobz with 'Uge Hammers
Terminators

Other

Spoiler

Grenade
IPB Image
Only two units have this icon, Stikkbombas and Spore Mines, and both do different jobs. Stikkbombas are an artillery unit who throw grenades at a targeted area. Spore Mines are a disposable units who explode, suppressing and damaging surrounding units.

Unit Examples -
Stikkbombas
Spore Mines

Other, small icons

These are small icons that appear above the main icon to indicate another, out of the ordinary mechanic the unit has.

Spoiler

Detector
IPB Image
This means a unit can detect infiltrated units.

Unit Examples -
Rangers
Scouts with a Sargent
Warriors
Catachans

Flame
IPB Image
This indicates if a unit has some flame related damage, usually to clear out buildings.

Unit Examples -
Tactical Space Marines with Flamer
Chaos Lord with combi-flamer
Warlock with Immolater
Plague Champion with Bile Spewer

Grenade
IPB Image
Units with this icon usually have grenades or bombs. NOTE some commanders can get upgrades that give them the grenade icon but are not necessarily grenades, including Chaos Lord's Armour of the Inferno, Warlock's Witchblade of Kuronus and Mekboy's Electric Armour.

Unit Examples -
Kommandos
Warp Spiders with Aspect upgraded
Techmarine with Orbs of the Omnissiah
Guardians with Battle Equipment

Teleport/Jump
IPB Image
Units with this have a jump or teleport type ability, which can be used to counter suppression teams or escape from melee.

Unit Examples -
Warp Spider Exarch
Bloodletters
Stormboyz
Terminators

Upgraded
IPB Image
This little plus will appear on many units who have been upgraded in a general way where no other icon applies.

Unit Examples -
Nobz with Meaner 'n' Greener
Upgraded Banshees
Warboss with Big Bang Hammer

Set-up
IPB Image
This indicates a unit that has to set-up to fire its weapon. On most suppression teams, many AV teams and some artillery units. NOTE Sniper units do not have this icon even though they have a brief set-up.

Unit Examples -
Havocs
Brightlances
Noise Marines upgraded with Blast Masters
Lootas

Sniper
IPB Image
This is only given to the Techmarine who has the Master Crafted Bolter which gives him the High Powered Shot Ability.

Unit Examples -
Techmarine with Master Crafted Bolter

AV
IPB Image
Only Tactical Marines upgraded with missile launches have this icon, which signifies an AV upgrade.

Unit Examples -
Tactical Marines upgraded with Missile Launchers

Cover Markers

Spoiler

Green Cover Marker
IPB Image
This represents a unit at least partially in Green or strong cover. While protected by green cover, units receive a huge ranged damage resistance which can often turn the course of an otherwise unwinnable engagement. NOTE Guardian energy shield give perfect cover, which gives units a 100% ranged damage reduction when they are protected by it, i.e reducing all incoming ranged damage to naught, however, they still have the Green Cover marker.

Orange Cover Marker
IPB Image
The same as the Green Cover Marker but represents a unit at least in partial Orange cover. Orange cover reduces incoming ranged damage but not as much as green cover, but still more than while in the open.

Icon Exceptions

Here I list units that have incorrect icons in game compared to what they actually do.

Spoiler

Autarch upgraded with Executioner
When the Autarch is upgraded to her Executioner she is given a Heavy melee icon. She is, in fact, only Power melee and won't do much damage to vehicles.

Lictor
The Tier 3 Lictor does Heavy melee damage while it's icon shows Power melee.

Ogryns
Ogryns do Heavy Melee while their icon shows Power melee.

Nobz
Unupgraded nobz i.e. without 'Uge 'Ammers, have the Power Melee icon, when, in fact, they do Heavy melee.

Lightning Claw Terminators
Both the Force Commander Terminator with Lightning Claws and Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws do Power melee, not Heavy melee.

Chaos Lord with Lightning Claws
Chaos Lord with Lightning Claws does Power Melee damage while he has the Heavy melee icon.

Grenade Icon
As mentioned above, Chaos Lord's Armour of the inferno, Mekboy's Electric Armour, Warlock's Witchblade of Kuronus get the little grenade icon when they don't have grenades in the true sense of the word. Hive Tyrant with Bioplasma and Sorcerer with Robes of Torment also gets this icon.

Guardian shield cover marker
As mentioned above, Eldar Guardian Shields grant perfect cover (protecting units behind them from 100% ranged damage) but shows the Green Cover Marker, even though Guardian Shields are much more powerful than Green cover.

Vestments of the Warp icon
Sorcerers Vestment of the Warp upgrade does not give him the "jump" icon like other teleporting units have.

If I missed an icon or made a mistake, be it spelling, grammar or mechanics wise, please let me know below and I will fix it. Thank you

This post has been edited by Rokco: Jan 18 2012, 00:02 AM
1040 1062 1147

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2R4V4G3R 17 Jan 11 2012, 21:41 PM
prob a good idea to compile the exceptions too tbh, only ones that come to mind atm are ogryns and autarch with executioner
952 904 930

+
# 3ParanoidKami Jan 11 2012, 21:48 PM
This is actually pretty well done. I'll link Dull/Gen here.

Anyways, guides and that stuff are now being done in the War Room so moving this topic there.

1653 1247 ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 4Arathain Jan 11 2012, 22:19 PM
Another exception is a Nob Squad that hasn't been upgraded has the power melee symbol, and is still heavy melee. It's somewhat confusing- getting 'uge Hammers gives the heavy melee symbol, but they've had it all along.

+
# 5AnthonyDraft Jan 11 2012, 22:32 PM
This, for the wiki...NOW!!!! xD
1040 936 340

+
# 6Rokco Jan 11 2012, 22:34 PM
QUOTE(R4V4G3R 17 @ Jan 11 2012, 21:41 PM) *

prob a good idea to compile the exceptions too tbh, only ones that come to mind atm are ogryns and autarch with executioner

Ah, yes, was meant to do this, forgot, will add!

Lictor, Nobz, Ogryns, Autarch and commander grenade icons, any other icons that could be considered wrong?

This post has been edited by Rokco: Jan 11 2012, 22:48 PM
1040 1062 1147

+
# 7Lost Son of Nikhel Jan 11 2012, 22:53 PM
Great work.

Seriously, This is a sample of guide that should have come standard with the game.
1277 1120 1014

+
# 8Brichals Jan 11 2012, 23:22 PM
That's very well written and presented, it's really nice to see.
868 1150 861

+
# 9Riserise Jan 12 2012, 00:12 AM
Chaos Lord Lightning Claw shows Heavy Melee despite being Power Melee.

Auto-cannons don't show the Anti-everything icon despite being anti-everything (and AoE on top of that). This is just nitpicking but whatever.

This post has been edited by Riserise: Jan 12 2012, 00:12 AM
1383 1364 1398

+
# 10Rokco Jan 12 2012, 01:09 AM
QUOTE(Riserise @ Jan 12 2012, 00:12 AM) *

Chaos Lord Lightning Claw shows Heavy Melee despite being Power Melee.

Auto-cannons don't show the Anti-everything icon despite being anti-everything (and AoE on top of that). This is just nitpicking but whatever.

Wow, I really thought they were Heavy Melee. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

I'm not going to put the Autocannon ones in because for ranged weapons icon =/= damage type, whereas melee weapons damage type and icons should be the same. For example, there is no "anti_all" damage type, it's melta and explosive_pvp and plasma_cannon, and bolter_pvp, plasma_pvp, etc. are all rolled into "Normal Ranged Damage". Know what I mean?
1040 1062 1147

+
# 11j3st3r Jan 12 2012, 01:43 AM
Don't know if you want to mention the dot associated with immolator and combiflamer?

+
# 12Don Qichoka Jan 12 2012, 09:18 AM
A very solid guide, well done. We definitely need more like this.
1485 1351 1010

+
# 13Acra Jan 12 2012, 14:26 PM
n1ly done, but the problem is, a lot of units are showing the wrong icon sad.gif
1738 1743 1191

+
# 14HansMolemanDD Jan 12 2012, 17:04 PM
Great Thread, I'll link this to my friends who are beginners to retribution.
1663 1631 1928

Game: Team Fortress 2

+
# 15JG Wentworth Jan 12 2012, 22:23 PM
Nice work.

Assault Terminator (and FC Terminator) Lightning Claw upgrades are Power Melee, but have the Heavy icon. Lot of newer players don't realize that this wargear reduces AV damage.

+
# 16Johnny McGorry Jan 12 2012, 22:23 PM
wow good guide.
1194 1230 1180

+
# 17lukeloh Jan 12 2012, 22:29 PM
Nice work. Thanks for taking the effort.
1231 1186 1870

+
# 18JG Wentworth Jan 12 2012, 22:31 PM
Nice work.

Assault Terminator (and FC Terminator) Lightning Claw upgrades are Power Melee, but have the Heavy icon. Lot of newer players don't realize that this wargear reduces AV damage.

+
# 19Rokco Jan 12 2012, 23:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, due to the overwhelmingly positive response I may write other fact guides on Damage Types and armour types, if and when I get time and enough stats to back it up.
1040 1062 1147

+
# 20Scrael Jan 12 2012, 23:59 PM
Very nice work and thanks for listing the exceptions, always so confusing.
842 896 ...

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)