Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

"New" player

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1TheOneYouLove Jan 19 2012, 17:34 PM
Is it too late to start playing?
I bought it when the Complete pack TOV OF and Vcoh came out but i never really got into the game, is it too late to start playing or am i safe against all the stomping by the pros?

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2djw2104 Jan 19 2012, 20:06 PM
First of all, Hello and Welcome to the CoH section of the GR community. I would advise playing the campaign and having a few skirmishes against the computer to get the feel of how this game plays.

Check out the Strategy section of these forums and there you will find an overview of the four armies and the units that make them up. Download and watch some replays plus some Vod/Shoutcasts for additional tips. You can also watch the Tales of Heroes, Training Tuesdays' on Youtube. These are very helpful and entertaining.

When you 'pluck' up the courage to automatch expect to take a few losses before you start to get some wins. At first the automatcher will just get you games with anyone until it recognises your true level and you will be matched against someone, hopefully, of equal skill or slightly higher. There are still some lower level players out there, but in time as you gain experience you will start to rank up. I have more losses than wins as US so there people, even at my low level, still playing.

Most of all, just enjoy yourself, have fun and good luck.

Game: None

+
# 3TheOneYouLove Jan 19 2012, 23:20 PM
well that's a nice copy paste text but that hardly answers my question.

+
# 4djw2104 Jan 20 2012, 11:09 AM
QUOTE(TheOneYouLove @ Jan 19 2012, 23:20 PM) *

well that's a nice copy paste text but that hardly answers my question.

Don't patronise me, this is not a copy and paste text.

I always try to make new members welcome with some pointers (where necessary) to help them get going..

If you want to know if the game is still worth playing then the answer is emphatically (do you know what this means?) YES.

+
# 5TheOneYouLove Jan 20 2012, 13:19 PM
Well sorry about that, would expect with that amount of new posts you would at least try to Automate the process expectially with the amount of words you wrote into the greeting.
Well to be fair i am not a new player in the terms i don't know how to play i just never got into it but never the less thanks for the answer.

+
# 6djw2104 Jan 20 2012, 14:09 PM
I apologise if I came across a bit 'miffed' in post 4. I always type long-hand similar, but with variations, greeting posts as a warm welcome to new members to the community; plus offering advice where to seek guidance to improve their gameplay.

This game is still definately worth it as Steam are always having sales which always attracts new members.

+
# 7MinorHero Jan 23 2012, 06:52 AM
dude... ive been playing Vanilla COH since it came out but have (unfortunately) only played online lately. A lot has changed and tactics have changed but basically what mr. DJW has said stands true. we cant spoon feed you what automatch will throw your way... except that since its late in the game, you will get insulted alot. I've stopped playing automatch 2v2 because your teammate will always blame the loss against you. sometimes even 1v1 will berate you. and inexperience is no longer a good answer... ppl expect you to "know better". listen to DJW and follow his advice. he speaks from the heart cuz we ALL were noobs once.
look at replays and study the "strategies"(pio starts lead to flames, riflespam, outtech, zergrush rifles, puma/AC rush) the only way you can learn is by losing to them and ultimately learning their counters... Im still learning and even though I have extensive exp I still get blamed for the loss every time I 2v2 automatch... just learn the game and learn the EXACT limits of each unit personally(what range volks lose to rifles at, how many flamers to charge, how much a grenade damages trench units, etc, etc).
if you can't adapt you won't win. this game will force you to think logically. basically retreat if you know you won't win the fight, outcap when you outnumber(with cheap units), and dont sit still cuz there arty is waiting for you to sit still...
"all warfare is based on deception" -Sun Tzu
know when you lose and always stay a step ahead... dont know the limits to your troops, know the limits of the enemies troops and learn how your faults work to your advantage. e.g. rifles charge with an AT gun, stay in cover till rifles get close enough to grenade. destroy and take out/capture the AT gun... GG... its not the battle but every little skirmish that wins you the game...

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)