Company of Heroes

THQ Announces Continuation of the Company of He...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41JimRaynor Jan 29 2012, 05:12 AM
check the balance sheet boys.... THQ is crippled ..

http://www.inthemoneystocks.com/rant-and-r...blog/item/92279

everyone except Santa Claus is short selling this dog.

THQ was at $6.50 only months ago... its now $0.72 with no end in sight..

the budget for a CoH game won't be as high as in the past when THQ was making gazillions of dollars.
a quality strategy game needs both time and money to fully mature.... and post sales support will be cut to the bone.

i hope a first class amazing well supported competitive RTS is made.
i know that given the new budget conditions at THQ that his is just not possible..

ask not for whom the bell tolls.. it tolls for thee...

even if a CoH game is made it will be a shadow of the games made earlier in the CoH series due to no budget.

of course you'll hear all kinds of political double speak in the budget talk...

CoH .... RIP.

THQ might be able to make more money by firing every employee.. demolishing the buildings on every piece of property they own and paving it over and making it a paid parking lot.

the good news is.. Blizzard is hiring... maybe some ofthe best CoH talent can work on the Starcraft2 expansion!

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Jan 29 2012, 05:23 AM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 42schepp himself Jan 29 2012, 16:06 PM
QUOTE(MajorBloodnok @ Jan 28 2012, 16:27 PM) *

Did you have in mind Carrier Pigeons, Schlepp? eyebrow.gif I suspect you meant 'aircraft', or maybe 'flying'? 'Avian' applies to birds.....

Precisely. No english mother tongue means chance of a critical miss sometimes.... wink.gif

Greets
Schepp himself

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 43nothernoob Jan 29 2012, 17:32 PM
I don't know but i have the feeling that succesfull games (financially) are not longer possible without dlc or other long term earning strategies. The times you used to buy a great game for 35 or $ are somewhat over. Given JimRaynors Info i hope they won't ruin the CoH franchise by a poor sequel in what form whatsoever.
If its going to be another ww2 scene my money would be on africa/italy. Korea would be interesting I agree but probably not "big" enough. Eastern Front would mean no americans and there is no way to sell it then.
I think there are nice mods in development, much more interested in them actually...

+
# 44Ezio Auditore Jan 30 2012, 00:45 AM
So from all this buzz actually pops out that THQ doesnt a have jack shit from budget to make COH-2,they have budget alright to make COH-2 but not for PC mabye for GameBoy-advance.
I think whe should be happy if THQ and Relic continues to keep alive the servers on this COH.

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

+
# 45MajorBloodnok Jan 30 2012, 19:06 PM
QUOTE(schepp himself @ Jan 29 2012, 17:06 PM) *

Precisely. No english mother tongue means chance of a critical miss sometimes.... wink.gif

Greets
Schepp himself

biggrin.gif Your English is far better than my German ever was sad.gif

If they wish to sound grand, pilots describe themselves as 'aviators', and there is the aviation industry,which deals with avionics, but curiously, 'avian' stays with the feathered creatures. wink.gif

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 46slave zero Jan 30 2012, 19:17 PM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Jan 29 2012, 07:12 AM) *

the good news is.. Blizzard is hiring... maybe some ofthe best CoH talent can work on the Starcraft2 expansion!

god help us all

will all studios have to produce only the best selling titles now? jesus christ... CoD MW11 with 250 prestige levels, DoW VI with loot drops in multiplayer, Saints Row The Tenth with nuclear bombs on demand and Starcraft 4 where each unit is only effective vs a single unit from a single faction

what am I going to do?

go... outside ?

+
# 47Inf3rn0 Jan 31 2012, 01:38 AM
QUOTE(slave zero @ Jan 30 2012, 14:17 PM) *

god help us all

will all studios have to produce only the best selling titles now? jesus christ... CoD MW11 with 250 prestige levels, DoW VI with loot drops in multiplayer, Saints Row The Tenth with nuclear bombs on demand and Starcraft 4 where each unit is only effective vs a single unit from a single faction

what am I going to do?

go... outside ?

Lol. I tried that. Once. Weird place man.

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

+
# 48JimRaynor Jan 31 2012, 03:31 AM
More Bad News About THQ.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012...and-admin-staff

if you are not a member of this site here is the text

THQ lays off publishing and admin staff
"Publisher THQ is in the process of laying off more staff as it continues efforts to cut costs to a minimum.

According to the company it is culling multiple roles across its publishing and administration business although its five internal studios are not affected at this stage.

"THQ confirms a reduction in force to the company's administration and publishing organisation," said the company in a statement given to Game Informer. "The streamlined organisation reflects the company's new strategy. THQ's five internal studios were not affected by this action."

Yesterday the publisher reconfirmed its commitment to the core games business and dropped the focus on games aimed at younger audiences.

The company has not revealed how many roles are affected by the latest round of redundancies but numbers are thought to be significant. A further update is due following financial results on February 2 when sales are expected to be down to between $510 million and $550 million for the latest quarter.

The news comes in the same week that an alleged ex-employee wrote an open letter to the THQ board calling for senior management to be fired.

Last December the company let developers on its U-Draw project go after disappointing sales of the gadget and shut down three dev teams at a cost of 200 jobs. Kaos and THQ Digital in Warrington were also shuttered earlier in the year.

Rumours suggest that the company is also looking to offload its long-in-development Warhammer 40,000 MMO and is possibly seeking a sale to save the business."

+
# 49PerfectDeath Jan 31 2012, 04:05 AM
It looks like a good choice when I didn't try to get an associate producer job with THQ last year.

Game: Novus Aeterno

+
# 50GoodToGo Jan 31 2012, 11:35 AM
Why dont they cut their CEO's salaries?

Seriously the full form of CEO is leech.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 51schepp himself Jan 31 2012, 15:56 PM
Starcraft 2 was so polished, you couldn't see a soul with all the reflections...

Greets
Schepp himself

+
# 52GeneralBighorn Jan 31 2012, 16:37 PM
shit....and the thread started with so much promise...

+
# 53PerfectDeath Jan 31 2012, 18:21 PM
It was likely a move by THQ to try and get some buzz going so fewer investors bail on them. =P

I'm sure if THQ gets through this they'll keep up with the series; since they own the rights to the game it is kind of hard for Relic to make another. =[

+
# 54twinArmageddons Feb 1 2012, 02:27 AM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Jan 29 2012, 05:12 AM) *

check the balance sheet boys.... THQ is crippled ..

http://www.inthemoneystocks.com/rant-and-r...blog/item/92279

everyone except Santa Claus is short selling this dog.

THQ was at $6.50 only months ago... its now $0.72 with no end in sight..

the budget for a CoH game won't be as high as in the past when THQ was making gazillions of dollars.
a quality strategy game needs both time and money to fully mature.... and post sales support will be cut to the bone.

i hope a first class amazing well supported competitive RTS is made.
i know that given the new budget conditions at THQ that his is just not possible..

ask not for whom the bell tolls.. it tolls for thee...

even if a CoH game is made it will be a shadow of the games made earlier in the CoH series due to no budget.

of course you'll hear all kinds of political double speak in the budget talk...

CoH .... RIP.

THQ might be able to make more money by firing every employee.. demolishing the buildings on every piece of property they own and paving it over and making it a paid parking lot.

dude, shut up, stop being so pessimistic

also the last thing i want to see is the all of the highly skilled Relic developers working on a rehash of a 10 years old game, no offense to all those who like SC2

+
# 55JimRaynor Feb 1 2012, 05:28 AM
QUOTE(twinArmageddons @ Jan 31 2012, 22:27 PM) *

dude, shut up, stop being so pessimistic

also the last thing i want to see is the all of the highly skilled Relic developers working on a rehash of a 10 years old game, no offense to all those who like SC2

its called being realistic not pessimistic.
stock price peaked at $30 when the WWE franchise, CoH, and DoW were kicking ass.
now its $0.70 a share with NASDAQ threatening to delist THQ and make it a "penny stock".

+
# 56PerfectDeath Feb 1 2012, 06:34 AM
One of the dangers of publishers having so much control over assets like IPs, your fate is largely tied to the publisher.

Though, they could "sell" you to another publisher to work on it. So Relic might end up published by another.

I'm sure activision/Blizzard wouldn't be too fond to buy their RTS rival Relic. =P
But Relic has been making different kinds of RTS games, they sort of have their own niche. Because it is a profitable niche, Relic isn't going anywhere. All that is left to question is that they can keep hold of their game franchises.

+
# 57JimRaynor Feb 2 2012, 03:11 AM
QUOTE(PerfectDeath @ Feb 1 2012, 02:34 AM) *

One of the dangers of publishers having so much control over assets like IPs, your fate is largely tied to the publisher.

Though, they could "sell" you to another publisher to work on it. So Relic might end up published by another.

I'm sure activision/Blizzard wouldn't be too fond to buy their RTS rival Relic. =P
But Relic has been making different kinds of RTS games, they sort of have their own niche. Because it is a profitable niche, Relic isn't going anywhere. All that is left to question is that they can keep hold of their game franchises.

Relic will die the second the "People's Republic of British Columbia" stops subsidizing them.

+
# 58sausageson Feb 2 2012, 04:31 AM
I hope somehow Relic makes COH2, I wouldnt mind if it was just a few new features and add the Russians or the Japanese or something. What the game needs is a relaunch, at this point it is too old and needs fresh blood. Starcraft 2 has proved dont fix something thats not broken. People have proven they will buy something with 2 slapped on it even if its the same thing with a few new features. If THQ goes down I hope someone like Valve buys Relic, such a great dev doesnt deserve to go down with that sinking ship.

+
# 59PerfectDeath Feb 2 2012, 23:42 PM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Feb 1 2012, 21:11 PM) *

Relic will die the second the "People's Republic of British Columbia" stops subsidizing them.

Just imagine what would happen if the NDP get in again. =P

I moved into Alberta from BC, the only things cheaper in BC are pot, car insurance, and dental care. =P

+
# 60JimRaynor Feb 3 2012, 00:47 AM
QUOTE(PerfectDeath @ Feb 2 2012, 19:42 PM) *

Just imagine what would happen if the NDP get in again. =P
I moved into Alberta from BC, the only things cheaper in BC are pot, car insurance, and dental care. =P

well the flip side of this "gov't subsidy issue" is that if the BC gov't doesnt back down and continues to feed Relic cash....
even if THQ goes down a major publisher will buy Relic because

1) they love free gov't money
2) even Relic's harshest critics would say the studio is at least "above average".

and Relic will live on and probably continue to make quality PC strategy games.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)