RotWK Unofficial 202

FFA Tournament Results

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21Excalibur Feb 9 2012, 23:52 PM
I knew something like that would eventually start. I never wanted to blacklist any player. I always was defending the situation of players not showing up. I covered lots of previous players who missed their tourneys. I was happy to see players showing interest and never rejecting late sign-ups. I never wanted to reject someone's will to play and tried to find a room for that player. But of course no one knows that and no one is going to support me. I will eventually become the bad guy.

But there's a limit guys, I have to respect myself and not tolerate everyone's humiliation towards me. I mean the whole procedure of maintaining the forums and trying to publish some decent articles and host Tournaments is really not helping me but it's mostly made for you. And then you just throw it to my face that everything done is lack of interested and staff power abuse. When Forlong offered me the Admin position I didn't want it. But Forlong was the only staff member left at that time and I just couldn't say no. I volunteered to help as a respect for everything he has done to a game that covers all my teenage memories. I am so fucking happy to spend my free time on something I am not benefited at all.

Look at. This is just pitty for the work done.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...?showforum=3810
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=855961
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=858076
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=860775
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...55866&st=20

Luke, you were on the GameRanger lobby with us when we were trying to contact djinges but honestly I don't remember you saying a single word about him. Why didn't you try to save the situation there? I am sorry on whatever misunderstanding was caused but I made myself clear that djinges would be blacklisted if he didn't show up.

The fact that we are a small community doesn't really reduce the size of work I have to do for those tourneys and mostly doesn't mean that everyone can act as he wish. No one ever apologized to me for not showing on previous tourneys. No one seems to care about the work I did for the tourneys. No one ever said thanks to me for hosting a tourney and no one ever will.

Game: RotWK Unofficial 202

+
# 22Sentinus Feb 10 2012, 00:07 AM
I don't think it is staff power abuse, but at the same time there are no positives from banning someone for two months just for not making it clear to the admins that they were swapping places in a tournament with someone else. That isn't the same as not turning up and ruining the tournament, so there isn't anything to gain from punishing someone when as far as I can tell from this thread, it didn't have any impact on the tournament anyway.

I agree Exca that you are putting a lot of effort in when you have no reason to personally, but in this particular case I think applying the rules when someone had no bad intent and when it caused no problems is pointless in terms of keeping activity up, which is the main thing. Obviously the rules are there for a reason, but on this occasion (I don't know anything about others which may be justified) I hardly think they have been broken, and certainly not enough for a two month tourney ban.

This post has been edited by Sentinus: Feb 10 2012, 00:10 AM

+
# 23IceVice Feb 10 2012, 00:51 AM
I don't mean offense Exca, but if Djinges and others said sorry, thanked you for hosting a tourney, and praised you for all the work you did, would you not ban them? Or would the rules still take precedence? I understand where you come from though, when you want work to be recognized (I always tried to write articulately and make stuff interesting).

I believe everyone realizes the work Staff people undertake is a gift to the community and the time put in should be respected. But that doesn't mean peeps will always agree with Staff decisions/ideas, as evidence by so many past conflicts.

I thank you for hosting the tourney cause it's fun stuff (seriously).

Clan: GoF|

Game: Rise of the Witchking

+
# 24Luke6193 Feb 10 2012, 16:43 PM
I understand what you're saying, and of course we appreciate the time and effort you put in, along with forlong (he made the game ffs!).
But you're missing my point, is there only excal and forlong on the staff to decide whether djinges is banned or not? Coz that's not enough people to decide, clearly. I agree with truckys comment about the rulebook.

Clan: Unity`

+
# 25Poero Feb 10 2012, 19:24 PM
Kinda tricky thing.. Staff has made up rules which are supposed to be followed. I understand this very well, as I have been in staff also. Personally I wouldn't ban people from tournaments with this activity. Though I don't complain about my own ban, deserved it totally. Even tho Djinges failed to follow rules, there wasn't any serious violation imo. Anyways it's harsh to stick within rules in this case.

Till the end protecting authority of staff is important thing. But it's ridiculous to make strong example from line like this. There is no reason to show some understanding when misunderstandings cause something like this. And about the rest of players who got banned, they weren't even online. So what ever reason was it's not enough, if you know that you can't make it, sign out. Someone could complain that he/she had real explanation, but rules are rules. Then again ban on Djinges could be argued with that, but he was there and thought he had handled it by replacing himself with Luke.

Oh well this chit-chat can just go on and on and on and around and around and around. Imo tournament organizer, and people who helped with it have authority over this thing. Their call and we should be satisfied by that. Shall it stay like this or change.

Clan: Unity`

+
# 26Excalibur Feb 12 2012, 22:41 PM
Just to make some things clear, in the eyes of the Referee Luke didn't replace anyone. As I stated above, I kinda can not deny even a late sign-up from players willing to play. So I just said to Luke that he could play if any of the participants wouldn't show up. And that's all. Luke's participation was just a late sign-up. So the thing with the replacement was done between them and theoretically djinges just didn't show up so he was equally blacklisted like everyone else.

I agree that djignes is a nice guy who is interested in participating on such events like the Tourneys but he failed 3 times in a row to play his games on the last 3 Tournaments. I covered his first absence , covered his second absence but on third couldn't do anything else than blacklisting him. While we were not blacklisting anyone, everyone would just ignore the Tournaments they signed-up for not because they had more important things to do but because they had more interesting things to do. But if we started blacklisting from the very first tourney things could be different. Maybe less players but correctly procedure of the event. And with the current situation we need to make sure that the Tournaments which is the only competitive thing that we can offer right now won't vanish.

To conclude, all bans will be cleared for this Tournament. But I hope you understand the seriousness of the situation. Obviously, our goal is not to ban as many players as possible so you have to understand why we blacklisted players and will keep doing on future Tournaments. Just be more responsible on your future Tournaments.

+
# 27Forlong Feb 17 2012, 04:18 AM
Exca, let me very publicly and clearly emphasize this: I am super duper grateful for your running this section. You're doing a good job and I really appreciate it. We wouldn't have a tournament section or portal publications at all without you!

QUOTE(Excalibur @ Feb 12 2012, 16:41 PM) *
To conclude, all bans will be cleared for this Tournament. But I hope you understand the seriousness of the situation. Obviously, our goal is not to ban as many players as possible so you have to understand why we blacklisted players and will keep doing on future Tournaments. Just be more responsible on your future Tournaments.

Did you guys read that. tongue.gif I'm personally not a fan of the decision, but there it is!

For the record, the more important justification for the tourney bans are less sinister than strict adherence to rules: looking at the large amount of no-shows in previous tournaments, we decided that the tournament series was going to fail if the current no-show rate continued, and this is simply our only remaining attempt to prevent further no-shows. My rationale was that banning players could likely ruin the tournament series, but it not as likely as if we did nothing and allowed the no-shows to continue.

So although I allowed Excalibur to overturn the bans this time, I am going to step in now and prevent that from occurring in the future. Exca, you're free to reduce the duration of the bans if you want by editing the Rules page, but they must be enforced from now on with no exceptions. Remember, you can always un-sign-up anytime up to one hour beforehand if you're in a single day tournament, and in multi-day tournaments, you have an entire week to play!

+
# 28Excalibur Feb 17 2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, thanks Forlong. I know that it's not easy to be soft with such things as they will keep happening but I do hope that the issue of not showing up will occur in rare occasions now.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)