Explore GameReplays...

Generals 2

Generals 2: RTS or FPS or... a bit of both? - A list of crazy assumptions on Gens2.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Ishaia Feb 15 2012, 15:30 PM
These assumptions aren't completely crazy but based on solid observations linked with the certainties the game can provide. Thus far the only certainties are Bioware and Frostbite 2, if I come across more things I can be absolutely certain off I'll list more assumptions. Perhaps more can be derived from these elements so I'll leave that up to you to discuss it.

1. Frostbite 2 Engine

Frostbite 2 has so far been used in Battlefield 3 and Need for speed: The run. Watching gameplay trailers of both games you can already make up the environment:

Not outstanding graphics but these will be the graphics we will probably get for Generals2 with some features like you can destroy some fences, signposts, etc... but not trees, generating the traditional destroyable objects C&C knew over the years.

Frostbite was designed for RTS games, watching following gameplay footage from BF3 you can recognize Generals in it:

My hunch is that EA will try to create different online modes as in an FPS online mode and an RTS online mode!
Why wouldn't you use an engine what it was originally designed for. This way you can sell your game to three different fanbases: The Battlefield 3 fans who can go Renegade style in the Generals universe. Essentially all they need is a republish of the BF3 gameplay elements.

2. Bioware:

These are three trailers of games created by Bioware published in the year 2011:

Dragon Age 2:

The Old Republic:

Mass Effect 3:

The cut-scenes Bioware produces are their trademark; It is easy enough to draw the conclusion that Generals2 will have many cut-scenes like this thus a sizable singleplayer aspect.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 2AgmLauncher Feb 15 2012, 19:04 PM
I think it will boil down to what EA has time for. Building alternative modes is quite time consuming, and I doubt they'll have time for it.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 3Ishaia Feb 15 2012, 19:32 PM
Watching the ingame footage (as in description) would you consider all camera angles usable from an RTS point of view?

Frostbite is an FPS engine to begin with, BF3 is perfectly copyable into a renegade version for generals and it reaches a much wider audience.
Any extra work needed to be done is make it an RTS instead of an FPS.

+
# 4IMZiggy Feb 17 2012, 03:34 AM
QUOTE(Ishaia @ Feb 15 2012, 14:32 PM) *

Watching the ingame footage (as in description) would you consider all camera angles usable from an RTS point of view?

Frostbite is an FPS engine to begin with, BF3 is perfectly copyable into a renegade version for generals and it reaches a much wider audience.
Any extra work needed to be done is make it an RTS instead of an FPS.

Everything you have said in this thread seems to be based on some really naive assumptions.

First of all noone outside of EA and it's studios has access to frostbite 2 so it's not clear what tools and features it actually has. There is no public editor or mod tools even so again the base engine that they got might be very bare bones and it's not like they are going to be using code and assets from BF3.

Second The change from an isometric gameplay in a 3d world to an FPS is not some easy thing to accomplish. I assume it is isometric gameplay because otherwise pathing and unit ai would be as bad as any FPS and would ruin gameplay. You cant just simply decide to then make everything physics and collision based that's retarded.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5Ishaia Feb 17 2012, 07:22 AM
Just adding a bit of healthy controversy, forums are boring enough already.

If you check the history of frostbite and the games that were used on it you'll notice frostbite is more an FPS engine as an RTS engine.

The second a new C&C was announced a new engine was announced (makes sense as I doubt a lot of SAGE developers still work at EA), you have to admit that you can perfectly picture generals2 in the ingame footage of BF3 I showed.
It makes more sense from EA to not rely on a pure RTS title.

I haven't written their aim could be to combine it, I have written their aim could be aiming to use both separately as in two online modes.

+
# 6AgmLauncher Feb 17 2012, 07:48 AM
Engines are never developed for a single game. SAGE stood for Strategy Action Game Engine, it's purpose was to power both RTS and FPS, which it did with Renegade and Generals. Frostbite 2 is no different. If it was coded properly, then it will be loosely coupled, highly modular, and easily adapted to a wide variety of games. Since it costs millions to develop an engine as sophisticated as FB2, then they need to be able to apply it to multiple games to offset its development costs.

So just because it has a history of powering FPS games, doesn't mean that Generals 2 will include FPS mechanics.

Clan: CrAzY

+
# 7I.AM.OP Feb 17 2012, 07:52 AM
Just the thought of mixing FPS and RTS together makes me cringe, wouldn't time be much better spent working on either FPS or RTS. Not both. I don't see Generals 2 having any FPS elements at all, if it does, then we know they aren't serious about bringing CNC back to glory...

+
# 8triumph Feb 17 2012, 23:21 PM
FPS or third person shooter mechanics implemented into RTS genre just means the player gets a more intuitive force fire mechanism. It's an awesome concept for less economic focused games (RTT) which allows them to retain game play depth where macro would normally be to keep a player busy or entertained. But I doubt generals will do this.

I think we'll end up seeing awesome destruction for urban combat and bases will fall nicely. We will also see a lot of small bits and parts fly when units are destroyed which will make replays even more entertaining. Given great art direction the physics fun could be a great selling point to have esport for everyone.

Clan: EPIC

+
# 9FFF Feb 26 2012, 01:55 AM
Frostbite 2 is anyways a better idea, then to use the super obsolte SAGE-Engine. It's about time.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 10BoWZeR Feb 29 2012, 04:13 AM
It's an RTS....

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)