Red Alert 3

When to expand, when to tech?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1jareddclark Mar 5 2012, 21:56 PM
Being a relatively new player I've been having some difficulties in determining when it is proper for me to expand and go for a stronger economy as opposed to something like teching up quickly on, say, 2 refineries and finishing my opponent quickly while they are vulnerable. I generally find myself late on the draw when it comes to building tier 2 units and am usually still flying around harassing with my air while my opponent has amassed a reasonably balanced army and begins to destroy my base.

I suppose my question would be what 'signs', if any, should I be looking out for that would help me to determine whether I should tech hard or take it easy and expand? Is it just scouting his Battle Lab / Tier'ed Dojos, etc? Or are there other things to look out for?

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 2StormGeneralX Mar 6 2012, 09:44 AM
I know people are getting annoyed by this, but SCOUT. (if not, doggys will die unfullfilled) . A super reacter should cause you to upgrade to tier 2. You see 3 or more refineries then push forward. You see a war factory and go for Airfield build order. You see infantry rush then you go for infantry rush too. SCOUT mate.

Game: Achron

+
# 3JonnyKnows Mar 7 2012, 14:48 PM
Go tier 2 when:

1: you finished your 3rd refinery & warfactory.
or 2: you want to harass faster with cryo's so get tier 2 after the 3rd refinery without waiting for a warfactory.

Lastly 3: It's efficient for a strategy you're doing which requires fast tech before the 3rd refinery is up.

Allies aggression with air is to prevent being able to lose to the other factions superior units in the early game.

If you watch allies in 3v3, or 2v2 you'll notice a lack of midgame units (usually), that's just how allies is as a faction.

You'll have to learn to work with turrets and aircraft until you can get out your tier 2 warfactory and steady defense.

Aircraft is your anti army, and it's your key to buying time to build a force that will murder your opponent. If you're good enough with micromanagement of your air units, that alone will demolish any mid level player.

For good modern up to date strategies, watch replays of Yuiyui playing as allies.

Welcome to the allied forces, we could really use more people on our side these days biggrin.gif

Game: None

+
# 4c9q9md Mar 8 2012, 10:43 AM
QUOTE(jareddclark @ Mar 5 2012, 21:56 PM) *

Being a relatively new player I've been having some difficulties in determining when it is proper for me to expand and go for a stronger economy as opposed to something like teching up quickly on, say, 2 refineries and finishing my opponent quickly while they are vulnerable. I generally find myself late on the draw when it comes to building tier 2 units and am usually still flying around harassing with my air while my opponent has amassed a reasonably balanced army and begins to destroy my base.

I suppose my question would be what 'signs', if any, should I be looking out for that would help me to determine whether I should tech hard or take it easy and expand? Is it just scouting his Battle Lab / Tier'ed Dojos, etc? Or are there other things to look out for?

Mainly t2 after 3rd reff. Some other cases, but as your new i dont think you will see them any time soon wink.gif
I answeared some of your questions on destructos mentoring btw.

Game: None

+
# 5lordpeter3 Mar 8 2012, 18:37 PM
What to do when.

First of all, allies have teh best tech 1 units so an extendet tech one is viable so expanding before you go tech 2 is good unless you want to rush with cryo's guardiantanks or assaultdestroyers.

So the best moment to expand is when you are attacking your opponent, it is save, gets scouted later and if gives you an edge to have more income for your second attack if the first one failed. If you expand stop producing other units so that they refinery is build as fast as possible and you will benefit from it as soon as possible.

Allies have good tech 1 harrasment units, htere airpower is unmatched but tehre infantery is verry good too and can take up soviet T2 armies as well as allies T3, so keep that inmind, teching as allies isnt always nessary. you need to be tech 2 to counter empire t2 and t3 and soviets t3, since cryo's are your only hope vs tsunamitanks, kingonis and apocalypsetanks.

Teching up as allies is best done when the mcv is somewhere save and you got a turret qued op to devend, since it is a pitty if you have to cancel your tech up because you need to flee with your mcv.

I hope your will improve your allies skills and if you need help online, just ask.

Clan: DiVerSiTy

Game: Red Alert 3

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)