Dawn of War 2

Librarian

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1NorthernTrendkill Mar 29 2012, 13:36 PM
Hi,

Can anyone please advise on the most appropriate uses for the Librarian or direct me to a guide for the Librarian? The only thing I can find in the strat section is a preview by wiggdogga.

Also, I can't find the "search forums" button anymore - I thought it used to be under "forums" on the top bar drop down list.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Riserise Mar 29 2012, 14:02 PM
What do you want to know? The appropriate use is to Smite everything and use Veil of Time on Devs/ASMs/Termies/Force Commanders.

Smite has plasma damage so it does considerably more damage to heavy and super heavy infantry like Tacs, CSM, Warrior Brood, Ogryns and Nobz.

Every SM hero has ways to buff his Smite. FC can use For The Emperor, Apo has Combat Stims and TM has Concecrated Bolter and Mark Target.

Quickening (his other starting ability) makes him almost immune to damage for a short amount of time. You can use this to quickly get out of trouble.

It is quite easy to lose your Librarian in melee so I don't recommend you use him for that purpose unless you're feeling ballsy.

So basically: Librarian is a ranged damage dealer with all of his dps front loaded into one devastating ability. Eats heavy infantry for breakfast and sucks in melee.
1383 1364 1398

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3NorthernTrendkill Mar 29 2012, 14:28 PM
Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. I always used the Librarian in Melee and almost always ended up losing him when I wasn't looking. I was under the impression he was a close combat beast (due to his inspiring melee attack thing) and that he died a lot simply because I was rubbish.

I often overlook the Librarian nowadays for the reason mentioned above, but also because when I hit T2 I tend to go Dreadnought and then forget about him.

Are there any specific situations when he would be useful as soon as T2 is reached? From the reply above it looks like he would be useful against elite infantry - so maybe Chaos opponent with loads of Marines etc?

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4Riserise Mar 29 2012, 14:42 PM
QUOTE(NorthernTrendkill @ Mar 29 2012, 17:28 PM) *

Are there any specific situations when he would be useful as soon as T2 is reached? From the reply above it looks like he would be useful against elite infantry - so maybe Chaos opponent with loads of Marines etc?

Chaos opponent with loads of CSM would be a good opportunity for a fast Librarian, yes.

He works quite well against regular infantry too.
1383 1364 1398

+
# 5ParanoidKami Apr 1 2012, 02:46 AM
The Librarian is caster support and is not meant to be used as a melee beast. The best use of him is to keep him back with him supporting his army with spells. While regenerating energy just use him as a capper as fighting and then having him retreat is a waste. He's strong enough that he can beat down lone capping squads and stuff like that, but I wouldn't put him against a dedicated melee unit.

Smite: Excellent ranged spike damage. Does plasma damage so good against heavy infantry. Has a large aoe so good against blobs as well. If you use another ability to buff its damage it can be classified as artillery.

Quickening: 90% damage protection and speed. Use when in tough situations or if you want to get into a melee fight without taking damage. Good to save if using Force Barrier since you can't escape from Force Barrier once its started.

Viel of Time: Speed and removes setup time. Works on all non-vehicle SM units and is his best ability. List is too long for me to say how it works on all units but just try it out as it's badass.

Teleporter one: I forget the name since I don't use it much tongue.gif Has a long range for it's teleporting. Setup teams that are teleported will keep being setup in the same direction they were before. Takes a few seconds for the teleport to work so you can't use it for something like teleing your Dev away before the ASM jump lands. Good if you want to play risky with some units with a far away Librarian to bail you out just in case.

Force Barrier: Pushes back all units and has an ability knockback so affects retreating units as well. It's basically a wall that has knockback attached to it every time the ability triggers. Very useful if you know how to combo as you can time nades or Plasma Dev shots to get guaranteed hits on units.

1653 1247 ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 6Asmon Apr 1 2012, 05:19 AM
The teleport ability is Gate of Infinity. Wonderful to rescue overextended squads, especially Terminators.

1503 1646 1718

+
# 7ParanoidKami Apr 1 2012, 05:43 AM
Forgot to add that if you have Viel of Time and Quickening on a Librarian you can run straight up to suppression teams to tie them up. Probably doesn't work against the Chaos ones though since they suppress instantly.

1653 1247 ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 8Ninjabutter Apr 1 2012, 05:58 AM
I've found his Quickening ability works great against late-game Tyranids if you use vehicles (as I usually do). He can sprint up to a VC Carnifex or Tyrant with Quickening active and tie them up in melee, preventing them from firing their VCs while Quickening's 90% damage reduction prevents the enemy from killing him either. Works like a charm for saving a damaged Predator, or even as an offensive tool so you can sit there getting free hits on the Carnifex while it can't return fire. Just have to watch your Libby and pull back after Quickening wears off.

... 1106 1271

Clan: Hardcore Prawn

Game: None

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)