Company of Heroes

Hello all, newish player 4 other newish ones.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SgtMeowenstein Apr 6 2012, 20:43 PM
Hey GR,

I'm kind of a noob - played a little bit years ago on a friend's machine against the AI, then after watching some of Harlequin's casts I picked up COH in the Steam sales a while back (6 months??) and have been playing on and off in skirmishes, basic matches and the odd 1v1 automatch.

I watch as many casts as I can (esp. Krebs, Rogers/Bridger/Pounder, SNF and Imperial Dane) and love to watch it, but I'm not so good at playing it or am just playing idiots. In my experience, every few games I'll get into a match that is relatively balanced, and we'll have a great time, and win or lose it doesn't really matter. But most of the time, I end up playing griefers or professional trolls, whose raison d'etre seems to be 'smurf to win' - by obliterating noobs to pad their stats.

It's a great game, but playing against real humans is often just not much fun. Today, I went into a game as Brits on Vire, that most universally loved of maps smile.gif and whilst I'm off securing the bridges my teammate rushes my base, starts dissing me for being a noob and telling me he's going to drop so I lose, and builds tank traps around my big fat British bus.... That's it, game over for me as I can't even get any units out. I asked if I could defect, but no luck there.

If it's not that, it's ending up in a blatantly stacked game or host afk games.

So I guess I'm here to find other noobs, who'd like to play 1v1, 2v2 in good spirit and collectively try and avoid the pro smurfs who make games with noob in the title just to draw more meat into the stats grinder post-13661-1143531603.gif

Anyway, technically I guess I'm a smurf too, although I got to level 5 or 6 wehr (my best) my stats sucked so much from constant rapefests that nobody good will stay on my team if they can switch to the other one! So, new profile time post-13661-1143531603.gif I know that I do somewhat suck - my micro definitely needs work - but not anywhere near as badly as it would seem.

Apologies for length, and if you want to add me, go ahead smile.gif

SgtMeowenstein (formerly ABabyCow) - UK, GMT evenings usually.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2djw2104 Apr 7 2012, 20:29 PM
Hi and welcome to the community.

I hope that you are able to find some 'mates' to join you in some games.

Good luck and have fun.

Game: None

+
# 3Catmandu May 10 2012, 22:15 PM
If you get tank traps around your Brit Bus, you can make it mobile and crush the Tank traps. Atleast when I tried to prevent the Brits from calling in new Busses by using TTs at call in point, they got crushed. But yea, playing against humans is going to be quite different than playing AI, and while securing bridges works well vs AI, it is not generally as cool vs humans, infact most bridge maps aren't as cool in general, IMO.
Good luck, and don't take it personal, a lot of 2v2 players consider every partner to be noob.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 4SgtMeowenstein May 11 2012, 02:23 AM
QUOTE(Catmandu @ May 10 2012, 22:15 PM) *

If you get tank traps around your Brit Bus, you can make it mobile and crush the Tank traps. Atleast when I tried to prevent the Brits from calling in new Busses by using TTs at call in point, they got crushed. But yea, playing against humans is going to be quite different than playing AI, and while securing bridges works well vs AI, it is not generally as cool vs humans, infact most bridge maps aren't as cool in general, IMO.
Good luck, and don't take it personal, a lot of 2v2 players consider every partner to be noob.

Ah thanks Catmandu! I didn't realise that Brit buses had tank trap crush! That would definitely have helped at the time smile.gif I know everyone hates bridge maps after a while, but sometimes it makes a nice change smile.gif

I enjoy playing AGAINST humans, no worries there, but playing with a player who is intent on abuse for it's own sake is just sad.gif

+
# 5RampageCrumpet May 14 2012, 07:42 AM
QUOTE(Catmandu @ May 10 2012, 22:15 PM) *

Actually i dont think they can, all units called in from off map get heavy crush for a short period of time so you can't do exactly what you tried before, TT's on the spawn point.

But besides that point, welcome SgtMeowenstein!

I would recommend trying to play 1v1 or 2v2 automatch more often than custom games, as you are matched against opponents of similar skill automatically. Well, usually! wink.gif Also, there are alot of issues when playing custom matchups, like you stated before (stacking teams), so auto can make it a fairer game.

Also most people who host custom games play Annihilate and high resources, which isnt really how CoH is meant to be played. Relic balanced the game to be played with VP's and standard resources. So if you stick to those, you might find it easier and more enjoyable. thumb.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)