Battlefield 3

Vehicles = Useless ?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21Fender Apr 21 2012, 18:30 PM
QUOTE(Lynx AH-7 @ Apr 20 2012, 15:28 PM) *

Smoke was a must for tanks before the patch IMO against anyone who knew what they were doing.

No, because you could take hits and not be insta-disabled. And the repair torch repaired a lot faster, so if you needed to, it didn't take forever.

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 22IronWings Apr 21 2012, 20:21 PM
Exactly Fender. I'm glad to see that people agree with me, I almost thought I had become a whiner bitching for nothing !

I hope DICE will fix MBTs in the next patch... which won't come any soon, except if they quickfix the G3+M26 Dart glitch.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 23Fender Apr 22 2012, 03:08 AM
You know what else is ridiculous about smoke? The fact you can't take out a Tunguska with a scout helo anymore. The smoke reloads faster than it takes to fire a guided missile, spin around and reacquire to fire again. Literally, it's impossible to destroy a Tunguska if the guy has smoke.

+
# 24M4dn3ss Apr 22 2012, 05:16 AM
I find it silly that Tunguskas do more damage to infantry than aircraft, like wtf?

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 25yams in a can Apr 22 2012, 16:03 PM
It's ridiculous to have Battlefield 3 tanks have the armor values of BC2. You know why? Because BF3 tanks get disabled. The armor values pre-patch were just fine.

Overall the patch really nerfed armor vehicles. Helicopters are the best now, stingers seem only useful against jets now. I simply love it. Jets seem a bit weaker though. I used to be able to take out tanks in one strafing run with the main gun. Now it seems I have to use rocket pods to do this sad.gif.

A scout helicopter frankly shouldn't be able to take out an anti air. If attack helicopters have trouble, scout heli's shouldn't be even able to. The attack helicopters are anti vehicle, and the scout helicopters are anti infantry.

+
# 26-Azzy- Apr 22 2012, 19:47 PM
QUOTE(Fender @ Apr 21 2012, 18:30 PM) *

No, because you could take hits and not be insta-disabled. And the repair torch repaired a lot faster, so if you needed to, it didn't take forever.

Hmm, the smoke would rarely deflect missiles for me pre-patch anyway, maybe 1 out of 20 guided missiles. The size of the smokescreen it creates is too small and it doesn't last long enough imo, I personally don't find it useful for anything outside of deflecting missiles, I'd love to be able to use it more creatively.

Helicopters are the best now

I can't agree on much because air balance is so ridiculous now, Attack Helicopters can effectively engage Fighter Jets, which is something I don't like (despite me hating Jets on a personal level), Heli vs. Heli is more tedious than it ever has been, the buff they gave stingers/igla's is still too much (Increasing damage, drastically reducing lock-on time and still a fast reload time, imo, they needed to tweak the lock time and buff the damage but not as much as they have currently, making then be affected by below radar was a nice buff for heli pilots, but for anyone starting out with helicopters now, they aren't going to get anywhere), and for the guys that still decide to fly heli's in lobbies with stingers everywhere I just end up wrecking their shit with Canister shells.

Making smoke a must doesn't really make vehicles useless.

Game: None

+
# 27IronWings Apr 22 2012, 20:41 PM
No it doesn't make them useless; but you're forced to use it, otherwise you'll get owned by lock-on weapons. It's already a hint that something is fucked up, isn't it ?

I wonder what's the point of using MBTs now. Yesterday night a single RPG hit on my front armor took my health all the way down to 9%. No I'm not bullshitting you. It happened before my eyes. I couldn't even believe it myself.

The way MBTs have been nerfed means that they are now unable to engage more than one target at a time. A pair of RPGs, a single MBT, a Javelin, whatever... even if you win the fight against these threats you'll more often than not end up disabled or below 60% health. Meaning that the next threat will own your face.

So what's the purpose of tanks on the field now ? Cardboard targets ?

+
# 28-Azzy- Apr 22 2012, 21:01 PM
QUOTE(IronWings @ Apr 22 2012, 20:41 PM) *
I wonder what's the point of using MBTs now. Yesterday night a single RPG hit on my front armor took my health all the way down to 9%. No I'm not bullshitting you. It happened before my eyes. I couldn't even believe it myself.

An AT Mine or C4 pack must have have detonated nearby when the RPG hit your tank, I have a hard time believing a single lone RPG could cause that much damage against the front armour of an MBT.

+
# 29Fender Apr 22 2012, 21:51 PM
QUOTE(M4dn3ss @ Apr 22 2012, 01:16 AM) *

I find it silly that Tunguskas do more damage to infantry than aircraft, like wtf?

They don't any more. AA vs. infantry is pretty weak now, actually. It's not even close to the rape factory it was before. Takes a lot to kill a foot soldier now.

QUOTE(yams in a can @ Apr 22 2012, 12:03 PM) *

A scout helicopter frankly shouldn't be able to take out an anti air. If attack helicopters have trouble, scout heli's shouldn't be even able to. The attack helicopters are anti vehicle, and the scout helicopters are anti infantry.

A laser painted guided missile should be able to take out armor. That's exactly what it's for.

QUOTE(-Azzy- @ Apr 22 2012, 15:47 PM) *

Hmm, the smoke would rarely deflect missiles for me pre-patch anyway, maybe 1 out of 20 guided missiles.

It works basically 100% of the time now. Locking missiles should quite literally never hit you, because the smoke recharges faster than any one man or vehicle can reload, reacquire and fire. The only way you go down is with a very well coordinated tag-team. But even then, if you don't stay stationary and just find some cover you're fine.

QUOTE(IronWings @ Apr 22 2012, 16:41 PM) *

Yeah, there had to be some other factor causing damage. It's tough to stay alive in a tank if you are hit, but it would never do that much damage.

+
# 30Kodiakk Apr 22 2012, 23:48 PM
I keep getting that "no missle lock/incoming warning sound" bug when I'm flying (jets) now, it's really getting annoying, I even took off flares and put on extinguisher to combat it.

Clan: Tools of War

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 31Fender Apr 23 2012, 02:33 AM
I've had some of that too.

+
# 32M4dn3ss Apr 23 2012, 07:15 AM
QUOTE(-Azzy- @ Apr 23 2012, 07:01 AM) *

An AT Mine or C4 pack must have have detonated nearby when the RPG hit your tank, I have a hard time believing a single lone RPG could cause that much damage against the front armour of an MBT.

Sometimes I place C4 on the front of friendly tanks for trollz, when an enemy RPGs it, kaboom tongue.gif

+
# 33IronWings Apr 23 2012, 20:37 PM
QUOTE(-Azzy- @ Apr 22 2012, 21:01 PM) *

I don't know, I guess there's no other explanation though, because that would be completely retarded otherwise.
QUOTE(Fender @ Apr 22 2012, 21:51 PM) *
They don't any more. AA vs. infantry is pretty weak now, actually. It's not even close to the rape factory it was before. Takes a lot to kill a foot soldier now.

The good side is that it balances things out a little bit on Noshar. The map isn't favoring the RU side as much as it used to now. And the AA is still a fairly good infantry killer nevertheless.
A laser painted guided missile should be able to take out armor. That's exactly what it's for.

Any laser painted guided missile, from scout helis, javelins or whatnot should be able to own tanks since they require teamwork (at least two players).
But they should be much weaker otherwise. That is, weaker than RPGs/SMAWs.

+
# 34M4dn3ss Apr 28 2012, 09:32 AM
QUOTE(M4dn3ss @ Apr 18 2012, 17:14 PM) *

And what's even worse is that it still takes 3 C4 to take down a tank...

Ehh... my bad, I just found out it only takes 2 C4 now biggrin.gif
IPB Image

This post has been edited by M4dn3ss: May 3 2012, 07:40 AM

+
# 35-Azzy- May 1 2012, 00:19 AM
Is anyone else having problems using the Mortar? I know it was patched so you couldn't use it in protected areas, but I was playing on Bazaar a moment ago and I couldn't get it to deploy anywhere.

Come to think of it, I've never actually seen it used post patch. (PS3)

+
# 36IronWings May 1 2012, 13:26 PM
Had the same problem on the exact same map. That's really weird, I thought you couldn't deploy in areas that are not accessible by the enemy team only...

+
# 37Fender May 2 2012, 18:39 PM
Mortaring is probably one of the most useless things you can do as a teammate.

I've seen it used since the patch, so it must not be completely broken.

+
# 38davIRE May 16 2012, 11:14 AM
the buff they gave stingers/igla's is still too much (Increasing damage, drastically reducing lock-on time and still a fast reload time, imo, they needed to tweak the lock time and buff the damage but not as much as they have currently, making then be affected by below radar was a nice buff for heli pilots, but for anyone starting out with helicopters now, they aren't going to get anywhere)

youve got to be kidding me. IGLA's and Stingers are just completely useless. the have A) no range and are B) completely negated in their "effective" range by the "under the radar" perk. the only effective way to bring down an attack chopper is with either 3 or more AA infantry working in unison or with at least 2 javs locking on with a SOFLAM. I have played too many servers where attack helos cannot be brought down even with my entire squad running AA. admittedly my squad is 3 men and not a full compliment but the point still stands. you cannot hope to bring down an attack helo, or pretty much any other aircraft unless you have a completely disproportionate number of infantry specifically aiming for that single air vehicle. those engies are then compromised and cannot engage any land vehicles.

this is also coupled with the fact that attack helos absolutely annihilate infantry. infantry firefights are ruined by a single strafe from an attack helo which frankly, shouldnt be happening. their role should be armour engagement not desecration of the infantry game. to sympathise with the jet pilots, attack helos shouldnt be able to engage those either.

Clan: Team|Alias

+
# 39Fender May 16 2012, 20:04 PM
One thing I've noticed about the AA missiles, if I'm flying a jet and the rocket is launched basically directly below me, my flares have no effect on the missile and I'm insta-disabled from the hit.

Despite me launching flares as soon as possible, the missile flies too fast now to be diverted by the counter-measure. So you need to be conservative with how you use your AA missiles. Don't fire as soon as you have a lock. Of course the pilot will drop his flares/ECM... Wait until he is as close as possible for best possible hit.

Locking and firing while he's basically leaving the area is just a waste of a missile.

Better yet, stop being a pansy and using AA missiles in the first place. Be a pro with RPGs. It's not nearly as obnoxious for good pilots hearing BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP constantly.

+
# 40yams in a can May 17 2012, 02:15 AM
Where's my AT4?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)