Company of Heroes

CoH2 and Order 227

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41Mutant Scum May 6 2012, 22:06 PM
Dammit, this thread was supposed to be about game mechanics, now it's degenerated into hand-wringing and finger-pointing over war crimes. Yes, yes, I admit some of it was my fault, but it really isn't the point of the thread.

Guys, I'm absoutely positive there won't be any actual war crimes in the game. CoH didn't even have swastikas.

Having certain units that can't retreat would probably be the best way to represent it, call-ins from a 'penal battalion' doctrine maybe. Not the really sadistic stuff in the OP, though. Hopefully.

The Article talks about a cut-scene and not part of the game itself. So it is not clear if, it will also be part of the game.

Oh... I didn't realise it was a cut-scene. Perhaps there's nothing to worry about after all.

+
# 42isoul May 6 2012, 22:36 PM
Order 227 can be easily implemented into the game.

1) Perhaps as a special ability that stops retreating squads at the point, killing 1-2 members in the process, gives an attack bonus but disables the retreat button for the duration of this bonus.

2) As a special ability of the Russian MG or a supporting command unit (not similar to Brit Lt/Cpt) that could stop retreating squads. This unit or ability could come at the cost of population and MUN to activate it.

Fr the history... Barrier troops, as they were used to be called, where special army detachments that were specially tasked in preventing soldiers to retreat(sometimes by shooting them at the spot) and prevent deserters to leave the front (by checking towns, train stations and roads for deserters traveling back home). These barrier troops weren't deployed that often by commanders as they were considered a waste of manpower which tied up combat capable troops to police duties.

Perhaps this would be a special ability in a, lets say, Patriotic Propaganda (as Propagandas sounds a more fitting word for the Red Army, similar to the use of Doctrines/Tactics of WM/PE and Companies/Support of US/Brits).

Game: Company of Heroes Online

+
# 43Kat May 6 2012, 23:34 PM
QUOTE(Rogers @ May 6 2012, 23:15 PM) *

I would love it if there was no retreat button for the russkies, we already know their squads will probably be huge and pretty good. It would be an interesting game play mechanic that would force Russian players to commit their forces with more thought than just Russkie spamming up the battlefield and who knows perhaps there's a doctrine or whatever that allows you to retreat.

They implemented no-retreat in Eastern Front mod on some stage. And this failed.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 44Mutant Scum May 7 2012, 01:42 AM
QUOTE(Kat @ May 6 2012, 23:34 PM) *

They implemented no-retreat in Eastern Front mod on some stage. And this failed.

That's interesting. Since barrier detachments were only in use for 3 months, they don't really have to be in at all.

Propaganda-based abilities sound like more fun though. They could have a sort of 'reverse FTFL' (FTML?) which boosts your troops on enemy ground.

+
# 45Inuki May 7 2012, 03:47 AM
change "Retreat" to "Regroup". Problem solved. (For multiplayer)

+
# 46LeiwoUnion May 7 2012, 10:09 AM
I could imagine a ftfl-esque ability that disables the retreat for some time while giving some bonuses.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 47Carnevour May 7 2012, 11:26 AM
They just could add a morale bar on the soldiers that when it reaches zero your units start to retreat and you can press regroup or order 227 to execute one and get them back to battle.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 48IronWings May 8 2012, 00:18 AM
I would hate that... Morale was not in vCoH and I always appreciated that.

+
# 49Mutant Scum May 8 2012, 00:48 AM
How about this: you can retreat as much as you want, but if you retreat a squad with over 50% of its men still alive, you lose an extra man once they make it back to base because the CO gets 'purged'. There could be a Commissar hanging around your HQ with a pistol.

+
# 50InRussiaCarDriveYou May 8 2012, 02:34 AM
Or how about we stick to regualr COH and just make a balanced infantry battle without this bs.

Clan: Suck it Trebek!

+
# 51Mutant Scum May 8 2012, 02:50 AM
QUOTE(InRussiaCarDriveYou @ May 8 2012, 02:34 AM) *

Or how about we stick to regualr COH and just make a balanced infantry battle without this bs.

Hehe. Yeah, how about that. I only made this thread because I was worried USSR gameplay would revolve around an unwieldy and un-fun mechanic based on something the Red Army hardly ever did anyway.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)