Dawn of War 2

Who do you trust for game reviews?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1kokake22 May 24 2012, 03:37 AM

DOW2 community was always pretty ok, if you guys liked DOW2 you must at least have some taste in regard to good games smile.gif

I usually glance at IGN, Gamespot, and maybe PCGamer. IGN usually has the most "fair" reviews in my opinion, and often give me a good indication of what to expect before I purchase a game.

What are your favorite review sites?

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2ParanoidKami May 24 2012, 04:44 AM
I don't read any reviews before I buy games since I don't trust them. People have so many different tastes that there's just no point in reading someones personal opinion of what they thought of the game. Whenever I'm into a game I look up gameplay videos on youtube and then go to the official site for some more information on how the game works.

1653 1247 ...

Clan: The Rally Point

+
# 3Carnevour May 24 2012, 07:34 AM
Angry Joe Show, that guy is funny and has a gamers point of view though his mainly a console type of guy but still respects the PC.

Dont trust any of the IGN retards and so forth since none of them have 1 clue about games and probably get paid from the publisher to write a review.
1611 1577 1776

+
# 4Phoenixlight May 24 2012, 08:55 AM
IGN and Zero Punctuation usually smile.gif

+
# 5Caeltos May 24 2012, 12:12 PM
I really only trust friends & random celebrity youtuber.

I'd use other websites for gameplay and just some food for thought on the game. But I always take their reviews with abit of grain of salt.

Game: Dota 2

+
# 6RagingJenni May 24 2012, 17:04 PM
Zero Punctuation is good entertainment. I trust Damien, Anthony, Greg and Colin from IGN. Angry joe is a good guy and he got the 1-10 scale with the most integrity on the webz IMO (A six out of ten is actually a pretty damn decent game according to him) I cant stand his videos though... much of his acting seems forced.

And all hail TheSpoonyOne, ofc.
1382 1461 770

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 7kokake22 May 24 2012, 19:24 PM
Never heard of Zero Punctuation but I will watch some of them now, thank you for the reference.

+
# 8FlameStrike May 25 2012, 08:40 AM
If it's online only, then videos and friend-based opinions since their tastes are similar to mine.

Other than that, pirate bay is my friend for testing.

Game: None

+
# 9Arbit May 25 2012, 22:50 PM
I rely on an amalgam of forum buzz, metacritic score (I mostly just look for a >70 score here - some of my favorite games are in the 70s-80s but if it's sub 70 it's usually shit for real), cheapness (If it's $10 or less and it looks pretty coo I just buy it), and how much the concept appeals to me. Reviewers are pretty much worthless to me - they're either shills or so heavily opinionated that the review will not mean much to me unless my personal preferences match theirs very closely.

Basically, with only 10-20 bucks on the line, I might as well forgo the research and give it a shot myself. If I'm considering a day one purchase, I've probably been following the previews and am already educated by the time the game hits the stores.

+
# 10kokake22 May 26 2012, 05:52 AM
QUOTE(Arbit @ May 25 2012, 22:50 PM) *

I rely on an amalgam of forum buzz, metacritic score (I mostly just look for a >70 score here - some of my favorite games are in the 70s-80s but if it's sub 70 it's usually shit for real), cheapness (If it's $10 or less and it looks pretty coo I just buy it), and how much the concept appeals to me. Reviewers are pretty much worthless to me - they're either shills or so heavily opinionated that the review will not mean much to me unless my personal preferences match theirs very closely.

Basically, with only 10-20 bucks on the line, I might as well forgo the research and give it a shot myself. If I'm considering a day one purchase, I've probably been following the previews and am already educated by the time the game hits the stores.

Thats sensible.

I do like Metacritic, but Metacritic can have some really obscure "professional" fanboy review sites though, and that can skew the score unnaturally higher then a game deserves.

That is why I was interested in specific reviewers or sites that everyone considered to be at least fair.

+
# 11Riserise May 29 2012, 05:09 AM
I trust my experience and knowledge of developers and trends.

Really, you can only trust reviewers in that they are 100% guaranteed to be biased one way or another. Even people like Yahtzee, who are supposedly incorruptible, have their own biased opinions and tend to review the games subjectively.
1383 1364 1398

+
# 12Phoenixlight May 29 2012, 17:05 PM
QUOTE(kokake22 @ May 24 2012, 19:24 PM) *

Never heard of Zero Punctuation but I will watch some of them now, thank you for the reference.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Enjoy!

+
# 13RagingJenni May 30 2012, 10:13 AM
QUOTE(Riserise @ May 29 2012, 05:09 AM) *

I trust my experience and knowledge of developers and trends.

Really, you can only trust reviewers in that they are 100% guaranteed to be biased one way or another. Even people like Yahtzee, who are supposedly incorruptible, have their own biased opinions and tend to review the games subjectively.

Reviews are always subjective... if you're searching for a good reviewer, search for one you share taste with.

Tbh I know myself and what I like in games now well enough so that if I check out a game, I check out some website and if they say the game is at least over 5/10 I know that it got the basics down, and I'll probably like it.
1382 1461 770

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 14kokake22 May 31 2012, 16:44 PM
QUOTE(Phoenixlight @ May 29 2012, 17:05 PM) *

He is pretty funny, though so quick it is hard to keep track if he enjoys the game.

Angry video game nerd gives pretty good reviews, too bad he only does retro games.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)