This August, we're going to be spicing up ClanWars a bit with $170 in prize money. If you want to win, you'll need skill, activity, and perhaps bit of luck - but not the kind you get from EA's random faction generator.
ClanWars rules will be completely unchanged in August - play as you normally have been, though perhaps you'll choose not to select Random factions this month. While ClanWars rules remain the same, we remind every player, as always, to SAVE ALL REPLAYS UNTIL THE END OF THE MONTH. Pointpushing is always a concern, especially when prize money is concerned, and if you're unable to supply replays of your matches to a ClanWars admin upon request, then you could be fined thousands of points.
GameReplays.org will use the August results to select eight players who will be invited to participate in a tournament for the prize money. All prizes are US dollars, PayPal only.
1st Place: $100
2nd Place: $50
3rd Place: $20
4th Place: :-(
How will we select the eight invitees? Fortunately for those who'll be going on vacation in August, you won't have to play all month long, or even during the final week, to get a chance at the prizes. At 0:00 UTC on August 11, August 18, August 25, and August 31, we will randomly select one faction champion to be invited to the tournament. Then, we'll invite, from the remaining faction champions, the champion with the most points. Of course, players who have already been selected will not be selected again. During the last week, in the off chance that all seven faction champions have already been invited and we one more open spot, it will go to the highest-ranked uninvited warrior - but this is unlikely to happen.
Strategy is up to you. Do you try to hold multiple faction championships, to increase your chance of being selected? Perhaps it'd be a better idea to try to gain the most points with a single faction, so that you don't have to rely on luck to get in. Which faction will you use - your favorite, one you think is strong, or one which the fewest competitors have chosen? Will you change factions at any point during the month? How will knowing your opponent's faction at the start of the match, and his knowing yours, affect how you begin the game? Will you try to Random your way to victory against the odds? What on Earth will happen to Dwarves?
The Faction Championship
The faction championship will be a 1v1 single-elimination tournament with random seeding. It will take place during the first three weeks of September and will adhere to our standard rules for multi-day tournaments
(scroll past the single-day tournaments section), with the following exceptions:
- All matches will be best-of-five. Players will alternate hosts for the first four games. A neutral host should be used for the fifth game.
- Tournament participants are restricted to playing with the faction they were invited for.
- The tournament round coordination forum will be hidden to the public until the championship is completed, and participants will keep the results of each round secret until they're announced at the end of each week on the RotWK Portal.
- Each player may choose to ban one map from the mappool at the start of each match.
- After a map has been played twice during a given match, it is removed from the mappool.
- Just for fun - the third-place match (for the $20 prize) will be played on the RotWK DC Patch instead of Unofficial 2.02.
Please note that while we currently plan for the tournament to run for three weeks of September, we will be flexible to accommodate timing-related needs to the invited players, and therefore the tournament may run more than three weeks if necessary.Discuss this competition in our forums