Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

1.09v2 QuickMatch league official launch

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Xelenos Mar 18 2021, 05:11 AM
IPB Image

Mae govanen friends,

Some of you already knew it but recently we officially started the BFME II matchmaking league!!! Some of you would ask what is it?

IPB Image

The Battle for the Middle-Earth II league is a 1v1 quickmatch system for patch 1.09v2. It has been developed in such a way to promote competitive via discord. It only requires a one-time registration, to be in the BFME Online community discord and of course to have Gameranger and bfme2 on patch 1.09v2.

IPB Image

As mentioned above, it is a quickmatch or matchmaking system so to work to its full capacity we must feed him with players of all kind of level and also with people playing games. The system automatically finds an opponent for you on a chosen map as displayed below:

IPB Image

Also, some of you here would say:
-hey, sorry but I'm not good enough for this;
or
-hey, people are to unexperienced this kind of league don't interest me.
Well, you are both wrong and you both have no more excuses. The system will always search for an opponent around your skill level. That means during and after your placement games (which can be set to 5 or 10) you will always end up against a player around your skill level. The more game you play, the more accurate it will be for the system to match you with someone of your skill. Notice as all matchmaking system it has some flow such as NOT ENOUGH PLAYER QUEUEING but this is for all game and only up to everyone to make the league alive etc and this statement stand for other future systems (yes we will have other game modes).

IPB Image

How to enter the league and play:
First, you need to join the BFME online discord community that you can find here: https://discord.gg/hbVyKez
Secondly, you need to go to the #bfme-league channel and register like this:
IPB Image

Once registered you can join the queue by typing $queue [gameMode] [Army] example:$queue 1v1 Elves
You will be added to the queue and that's it the system will notify you of your matches. after that you can play your match versus your opponent. Remember this is a quickmatch as it was back in the day on EA servers.
You fight for one game only on a random map from the 1.09v2 maps pack, none of you has to be spotted and the rules are the regular one for compétitive. The only flexibility is the possibility to play your game on a neutral host but a random host between the 2 players is chosen.

IPB Image

How to report:
Reporting your match is quite easy and always work like this:
$report WinnerLeagueName LoserLeagueName 1 0
After you typed this the system will ask for BOTH player to confirm the score within 30sec.
IPB Image
and that's it you did your first match in the league smile.gif.

IPB Image

Ranking & Point system:
a leaderboard command is available to check the ranking as displayed above. Also, player statistics can be checked and in future we can add more interesting statistics such as win rate on a specific map, win rate with faction etc for the moment this is how it looks.
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

Now to finish I would like to convince you all on why this system is more superior to what we actually have.
First compared to Clanwars we will no longer deal with the poor Elo system in place and abuse of playing the last day etc. The league is FULLY modulable and adaptable.

Secondly, we can bring idea such as season into the league. For example, after 1-2-3 month we move on to a new season in the league with a new maps pool. 10 maps playable on season 1, 10 differents maps on season 2 etc.

Third, no more arbitrary Skill Tier roles on the server, your skill tiers will match your real skill in-game(i see you coming, are you saying you unable to defeat anyone on any map?)

Forth and I will stop here to not spoils what is to come we can have such things as best players per Skill Rank or best Dwarves player? or Mordor player etc. The league do not reset we can integrate badges etc so much possibility.

I hope you guys will enjoy this and appreciate the work, maybe if you appreciate it enough other stuff might come out right temptito?

- Xelenos

This post has been edited by Xelenos: Mar 25 2021, 18:27 PM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 2Feanor Mar 18 2021, 08:03 AM
How about the rematch? Playing on host is a significant advantage.

Game: None

+
# 3SeñorEcthelion Mar 18 2021, 08:09 AM
tru, code respective rematch

+
# 4Xelenos Mar 18 2021, 08:11 AM
As i said what you talk about is "out of context" as this is a Quickmatch as it was back in EA day, or the same way you queue into starcraft matchmaking or any RTS games. There is no rematch only one game to be played on either a neutral host or the chosen random host.

OFC making a system with a rematch is possible but then this wouldn't be a quickmatch smile.gif

"How about the rematch? Playing on host is a significant advantage." -> Play neutral host it's allowed

This post has been edited by Xelenos: Mar 18 2021, 08:15 AM

+
# 5Feanor Mar 18 2021, 09:07 AM
"How about the rematch? Playing on host is a significant advantage." -> Play neutral host it's allowed

Then it's not a quick match as you have to find a third party.

I like what you've done but I'm not sure what the added value is compared to clanwars (except for maybe a better user experience) or the top 10 challenges.

Game: None

+
# 6YodA` Mar 18 2021, 10:13 AM
QUOTE(Feanor @ Mar 18 2021, 09:07 AM) *

Then it's not a quick match as you have to find a third party.

I like what you've done but I'm not sure what the added value is compared to clanwars (except for maybe a better user experience) or the top 10 challenges.

You don't need to find neutral host but you can ofc. Value is it that you got random opponent based on your mmr and random map and get points. You don't need to play 9 games on Fords of Isen non stop and you don't know who you gonna get (if there are lots of players).

About so called "lag" and host "problem" from the networking perspective.

Becouse everyone is using gameranger platform using your bandwidth and internet connection to be a server you can't have a good ping (~ 10 - 200 ms) with f.e. Australia if you are in EU becouse it is around 400 ms.
We don't have 10 servers around the world and load balancing to give you all nice playable connection to everyone and we are not based on any regions to do so.

Another problem is setup of gameranger itself, becouse most players use default values and never take a look into options tab.

Gameranger was created in 1999, over 21 years ago. Back than internet connection was max up do 2 mbps becouse it was DSL (phone connection that was using 2 cables ) nowadays we are using Ethernet cables 4 pairs in order to transfer data across the internet os it is faster.

About user interface.

Most players user interface looks like that:

Attached Image

Instead of looking like that:

Attached Image

If you look at the 2nd attachment you will see number instead of graphical "thing" that make no sens.
Lower ping the better, if you see "down" at the ping tab in means ~400ms. (Unplayable, don't join)

Neutral host should be choosen so both players may have almost the same ping to the host if possible.

Clan: The Last Knights of Middle-Earth

+
# 7powerkartoffel Mar 18 2021, 10:46 AM
Its a great to get quickly a match opponent.

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 8-Netput Mar 18 2021, 17:57 PM
Cool beans! Going to try this out when I'm behind my computer.

Clan: Prisoners Of War

+
# 9-Netput Mar 18 2021, 18:39 PM
I've got a question about this.
I am in queue right now. Nobody is currently responding to it.
I will go afk in a hour or so to do something else.

Now imagine Clever comes online in a hour and he joins the queue as well and get matched with me. I am not there, so we can't play.
What happens now? Match won't be played. Will the match be cancelled? Can Clever rejoin queue? Can i leave the queue when it takes too long to find a match?

+
# 10Xelenos Mar 18 2021, 19:26 PM
For the moment when a match is found you either play it immediately or when you both have time to play.

Leaving the queue was possible before, but got abused as some people left the queue when they see some other player joining it. I'm actually working on a system that allows you to leave the queue after a certain period of time.

indeed you are right while you are in a match you cannot join the queue anymore until you completed your match. There is some protection to keep the skill tiers system as accurate as possible.

Note that:
An admin can declare a null match 1-1 -> this have repercussion on your MMR
An admin can void a match (cancel it) -> this will also have repercussion or penalty I have to think of an appropriate measure.
An admin can declare a winner.

If it takes to long to find a match it is most likely because there is not enough player in the queue. The system starts matching when there is 3peoples or more in the queue. Also, it can be hard to find an opponent if there are no people matching your skill in the queue.

+
# 11-Netput Mar 19 2021, 09:15 AM
Now I am sad. Got a match yesterday while i was offline. Got plenty of time today to play, but because i have a match i can't join the queue.
This is slowing down the matches played by a lot.

+
# 12SeñorEcthelion Mar 19 2021, 10:36 AM
I have been in queue for a year.

+
# 13-Netput Mar 19 2021, 10:55 AM
How many people know about this league?
Is there a reason cw.cc got active in January, but this league didn't take off?

+
# 14Clever Mar 19 2021, 12:49 PM
QUOTE(-Netput @ Mar 19 2021, 11:15 AM) *

Now I am sad. Got a match yesterday while i was offline. Got plenty of time today to play, but because i have a match i can't join the queue.

I disagree. I think it's better to not be able to leave the queue and thus kinda "forcing" people to actually play their matches. Due to the small bfme2 community and the even smaller bfme2 players participating in the bfme2 league, I prefer it the way it is atm. And on the other hand rejoining the queue wouldn't benefit it you at all as most players in the queue are not online in GameRanger and waiting for their next bfme2 league match.

QUOTE(-Netput @ Mar 19 2021, 12:55 PM) *

How many people know about this league?
Is there a reason cw.cc got active in January, but this league didn't take off?

Imo cw.cc was active in January mostly due to Maru's efforts and the new patch being released.

Further, one difference between cw.cc and the bfme2 league is that you can dodge in cw.cc, but you can't in the bfme2 league.

This post has been edited by Clever: Mar 19 2021, 13:23 PM

+
# 15Xelenos Mar 19 2021, 16:31 PM
QUOTE(-Netput @ Mar 19 2021, 10:15 AM) *

True, but this can cause dodging etc if i make a leave queue command wich i already did it will have a delay of at least minimum 30min-1hour before leaving the queue.

QUOTE(SeñorEcthelion @ Mar 19 2021, 11:36 AM) *

I have been in queue for a year.

Wrong you aren't playing since age... you can queue to play there is a player now.

Also neput(couldn't quote), Actually the honest response is the fact that Ecthelion & cie refuse to play in it, they want it dead. Sauron, temptation, awhe, lovely... Oh no activity on the league this is really bad....
Ask them why they refuse to play in the league. and after the don't understand why i don't want to do CW stuff etc.
We simply laked the amount of player but thanks to Maru and his effort with cw there is actually a reasonable amount of players who came back to play the game and they just want to have fun.

+
# 16P0rNKinGs` Mar 19 2021, 22:46 PM
that league is 100 times better than cw.cc, cw is a total pain, takes ages to report a game and the website is slow af. + u cant dodge on the league like it has been said before.

+
# 17Xelenos Mar 20 2021, 05:20 AM
New command added today,
the $matcheslog or $matches command displays the ongoing games that need to be played or reported
IPB Image

+
# 18SeñorEcthelion Mar 20 2021, 17:55 PM
geylenos did you even update map list to the patch? all i see are games in dunland and tyrngorthad
feels old

+
# 19Maru Mar 20 2021, 18:36 PM
:popcorn:

Clan: New Generation

+
# 20-Netput Mar 20 2021, 18:48 PM
I had a match on tournament towers. Not sure if that is a new map?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)