Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Are Mouse Buttons Useful?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1proBloo May 13 2018, 01:51 AM
I find the default settings to be about the most intuitive of any game with many controls. I have modified only the Rally Button to "O," but would like to gain any edge possible. I don't have a mouse with buttons but would consider buying one based on what Y'all think. Which functions do You program to Your mouse buttons?

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 2Sheriff AA May 13 2018, 01:55 AM
Are Mouse Buttons Useful?

Do bears shit in the forest?

Clan: m8s

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 3proBloo May 13 2018, 01:58 AM
QUOTE(Sheriff AA @ May 12 2018, 21:55 PM) *

Do bears shit in the forest?

Man they've gotta be useful. But for what? All the keys are so intuitive. How many buttons do You use?

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 4zokker13 May 13 2018, 08:30 AM
Keep in mind the big disadvantages of those mice is that they are usually more expensive and that exceeding buttons feel different than the main two buttons.
The feeling is a bit off.

I have a mouse with 2 additional buttons but I only use that when I'm not gaming.
I could imagine a button that's hard to reach on the keyboard to place there; such as V or B,N etc.
It really comes down to taste.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a mouse for it's additional buttons because I can to remap them in games. For me, it's a bit of a lie.

Rather keep an eye on reviews, ergonomics and handling.
But really, it mostly comes down to taste.

Game: None

+
# 5Jasper407 May 13 2018, 08:52 AM
I tried binding the mouse buttons to 0 and 9 for more usable control groups, I found that my speed and muscle memory with mouse-buttons is pathetic so gave up using them for that purpose.

Although it's nice having throw-away control groups as a way to get a single unit out of a control group without having to reselect everything else. Extremely minimal use but 1/100 games it's handy smile.gif

+
# 6GBHmichael May 13 2018, 09:13 AM
Mouse buttons give huge advantages in some games, but generally not for RTS. They're good when using WASD controls, but not so much when moving with your mouse.

+
# 7Technique May 14 2018, 13:42 PM
I find them quite handy.

I got unit stances and bookmark on my mouse (mapped em to single keys that are less convenient to reach on the keyboard k - l - n - m etc) and got ctrl key on my mouse as well, which I find more ergonomic than having my pinky go to left ctrl while the index finger goes to the number keys.

The mouse I use is a steelseries rival 500, one of the only mice where you got multiple buttons around the thumb in a logical manner. And the buttons around your left and right click make sense as well. The scroll wheel is 3 way also, so you can map keys to tilt left/right.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 8JimRaynor May 14 2018, 20:14 PM
QUOTE(proBloo @ May 12 2018, 21:51 PM) *

I find the default settings to be about the most intuitive of any game with many controls. I have modified only the Rally Button to "O," but would like to gain any edge possible. I don't have a mouse with buttons but would consider buying one based on what Y'all think. Which functions do You program to Your mouse buttons?

both the mouse and keyboard offer an unfair advantage to players who are quicker, smarter, and know the game better than i do. personally i'd like to see the mouse banned with this new innovation below as its replacement....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 9Tom Sawyer May 15 2018, 01:02 AM
F for easier cryo multishrink, and ctrl

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)