Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Can i zooom out?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1-FaCt^ Sep 15 2019, 05:56 AM
Can i zoom out and play the game from a further distance so i can see more? I think there was an option before in gentools but i dont see it anymore

+
# 2Lucifer Arise Sep 15 2019, 12:19 PM
I was asking about this as well and when your online in game you can't zoom further back because it's considered cheating but gentool already limits the range that you can pull back further, it works in skrimish with gentool in skrimish mode you can zoom back as far as you want but not in online games.... I wish you could cause I'd be more comfortable if it wasn't so close to the screen.

+
# 3Jundiyy Sep 15 2019, 13:57 PM
Correct as Lucifer said, GT has the option of Camera Height that will work in single player (and I think scripted/modded/(non-RANKed?) maps - even though it's online).

There has been discussion on the pvp zoom before, Xezon did ask the community but in the end the same height was kept.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 4Leikeze Sep 15 2019, 14:01 PM
GenTool's increased camera height only works for Skirmish, Campaign, & Replays.

It was decided that allowing it in LAN would be a bad idea, and multiplayer to avoid abuse.

You can still set the default camera height at a greater distance than GenTool does via World Builder, however, this will cause a crash if you edit that in a map that somebody else has, even if there is no map-transfer.

Clan: WbG

+
# 5fastAiR Sep 15 2019, 22:24 PM
I think the zoom level is ok jsut gets tricky if you have a mammoth amount of air units to control at once

If you want to try gain some advantage tho then I suggest playing with the aerial view and zooming that out to the max. Its not everyones cup of tea but I think there is an advantage to be had there in regards to seeing things like bombers coming, you just have to contend with losing your infanty every so often amongst trees biggrin.gif

For instance:
IPB Image

A few players use this view including Alpine and Spygirl

This post has been edited by JarmenElectra: Sep 15 2019, 22:30 PM

+
# 6Leikeze Sep 16 2019, 17:46 PM
I tried that view for a bit once but couldn't feel comfortable with it.

There's just something ingrained in my view about RTS games being separate from table-top games.

Not to mention how it abolishes cool moments, screenshots, and streaming from your options.

+
# 7fastAiR Sep 16 2019, 18:01 PM
QUOTE(Leikeze @ Sep 16 2019, 17:46 PM) *

I tried that view for a bit once but couldn't feel comfortable with it.

There's just something ingrained in my view about RTS games being separate from table-top games.

Not to mention how it abolishes cool moments, screenshots, and streaming from your options.

I played around with it a few times until I start losing then quickly revert back, but I have had some success with it in 1v1 tbh (map awareness better) just havent used it for a while now and its hard to get used to, and yea well it looks ugly. Do hoenstly believe theres advantage to using it tho, alpine clearly thinks so as well

+
# 8LoGicA Sep 16 2019, 18:35 PM
Is this a form of cheating? As you have an advantage to see more?

+
# 9waterrrable Sep 16 2019, 19:18 PM
QUOTE(-FaCt^ @ Sep 15 2019, 05:56 AM) *

Can i zoom out and play the game from a further distance so i can see more? I think there was an option before in gentools but i dont see it anymore

yes u can .

i know u can make option inside world builder, but its needs to be made for each map

takes like 1 min

any map u want to have it on

u can also have it inside ini file. but there is a bigger change of having mismatch

+
# 10xezon Sep 16 2019, 19:40 PM
QUOTE(Logica @ Sep 16 2019, 20:35 PM) *

Is this a form of cheating? As you have an advantage to see more?

I am not sure if top view gives larger view. Maybe it can be measured with a grid texture on a test map and then count the squares in view. It could be nerfed.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 11waterrrable Sep 16 2019, 20:02 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 16 2019, 19:40 PM) *

I am not sure if top view gives larger view. Maybe it can be measured with a grid texture on a test map and then count the squares in view. It could be nerfed.

tested it
its gets smaller

normal view is the best view with biggest range

u can edit ini file or inside wolrd builder to make range bigger

edit. this game is so old. if top view was so good. everybody would have used it

u cant see air coming. its hard to see different between ground and air units
u cant see what unit is ranked up

total shit. dont use it

maybe topview tournament coming?

This post has been edited by waterrrable: Sep 16 2019, 21:08 PM

+
# 12-ExiLe` Sep 16 2019, 20:21 PM
QUOTE(waterrrable @ Sep 16 2019, 22:02 PM) *

tested it
its gets smaller

knew it, top view noobs biggrin.gif

+
# 13fastAiR Sep 16 2019, 21:53 PM
QUOTE(waterrrable @ Sep 16 2019, 20:02 PM) *

tested it
its gets smaller

edit. this game is so old. if top view was so good. everybody would have used it

u cant see air coming. its hard to see different between ground and air units
u cant see what unit is ranked up

total shit. dont use it

maybe topview tournament coming?

How did you test it? Im sure you are wrong, look how tiny the units are. Have you seen how soon you see a carpet bomber coming in an actual game? If you lose an army to a carpet bomber in this view you're an idiot frankly.
And what if you rotate the camera, can you make the long view horizontal then and see a bomber coming from even further away? Probably

Theres other factors involved as well, for instance raised terrain on maps effects camera height in the traditional view so depending on the location of the camera it can zoom you in a bit more or out further (people msut know this because I actively try to take advantage of it and im sure others do as well, like put the camera locaiton ontop of a raised hill and you see more). Its not one case fits all imo

The reason people dont use it is either neglect, not knowing its there or realising it has an advantage or the fact its an ugly view.

This post has been edited by JarmenElectra: Sep 16 2019, 21:58 PM

+
# 14waterrrable Sep 16 2019, 22:22 PM
QUOTE(JarmenElectra @ Sep 16 2019, 21:53 PM) *

How did you test it? Im sure you are wrong, look how tiny the units are. Have you seen how soon you see a carpet bomber coming in an actual game? If you lose an army to a carpet bomber in this view you're an idiot frankly.
And what if you rotate the camera, can you make the long view horizontal then and see a bomber coming from even further away? Probably

Theres other factors involved as well, for instance raised terrain on maps effects camera height in the traditional view so depending on the location of the camera it can zoom you in a bit more or out further (people msut know this because I actively try to take advantage of it and im sure others do as well, like put the camera locaiton ontop of a raised hill and you see more). Its not one case fits all imo

The reason people dont use it is either neglect, not knowing its there or realising it has an advantage or the fact its an ugly view.

the sceenshot u showed is fake.

its not possible with just the pgup key

he edited camera hight inside some files
---------------------------------------------
in this picture u see the road top
Attached Image

here u dont see the road anymore
Attached Image

this happend in all 4 sides. it cut parts of the game off
even when u maybe higher.
your view will go down

u can only change camera height without file editing in replays or singleplayer

This post has been edited by waterrrable: Sep 16 2019, 22:25 PM

+
# 15Leikeze Sep 16 2019, 22:26 PM
Hmm, interesting bit of information.

+
# 16waterrrable Sep 16 2019, 22:28 PM
QUOTE(Leikeze @ Sep 16 2019, 22:26 PM) *

Hmm, interesting bit of information.

im smarter than most think lol

im dr.waterrrable now

+
# 17fastAiR Sep 16 2019, 23:27 PM
QUOTE(waterrrable @ Sep 16 2019, 22:22 PM) *

the sceenshot u showed is fake.

its not possible with just the pgup key

he edited camera hight inside some files
---------------------------------------------
in this picture u see the road top
Attached Image

here u dont see the road anymore
Attached Image

this happend in all 4 sides. it cut parts of the game off
even when u maybe higher.
your view will go down

u can only change camera height without file editing in replays or singleplayer

ah ok fair enuf

+
# 18waterrrable Sep 16 2019, 23:29 PM
QUOTE(JarmenElectra @ Sep 16 2019, 23:27 PM) *

ah ok fair enuf

lol

+
# 19xezon Sep 17 2019, 07:51 AM
I think it would be more scientific to look on a map terrain with a grid texture and then compare the squares.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 20-ExiLe` Sep 17 2019, 09:42 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 17 2019, 09:51 AM) *

I think it would be more scientific to look on a map terrain with a grid texture and then compare the squares.

ah i thought waterable based his conclusion using this method, as he quoted you. but yep.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)