Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes 2

CoH2 Replay Version Switcher

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Inverse Aug 23 2013, 05:09 AM
Now that Relic has begun filtering viewable replays by game version in the in-game replays view, you can no longer load replays from old patches. This is good in most cases, because new patches generally change unit statistics in such a way that old replays will throw sync errors when viewed in a new game version. However, in some cases, such as the recent hotfix to correct a major bug, no actual game files are touched. And even though the game version has changed and therefore games played on the previous patch will not appear in the in-game menu, they can actually still be viewed.

It's fairly easy to trick the system into allowing us to view these older replays; all we have to do is modify the version in the replay file to match the current version and the replays will appear. This is extremely simple to do in a hex editor, but because not everybody has the knowledge or desire to fiddle with things that way themselves, I figured I'd throw together an extremely simple application that can do the same thing for you.

Now, before you download and try it out, understand that this is, in its current form, an extremely basic program with extremely limited utility. It will convert any replay from the previous 3.0.0.10242 patch into a 3.0.0.10317 replay that can be viewed in the current version of the game. It will successfully convert old replays as well; however, those replays will not function correctly when viewed in this game version and will give you an error.

The conversion process is simple, just select a replay and hit convert. The application will create a new [FILENAME]_converted.rec file in the same directory as the original and modify that file so that it will appear in the replays menu. Once converted, the replay can be viewed in-game.

As always, use of this program is at your own risk; I assume no responsibility nor liability for any damages suffered as a result of this program's use. If you don't trust downloading .exe files, you can find the source at the Github link below. Check back regularly, I plan on implementing a more robust feature set if demand is high enough and I find the time.

Hopefully this helps some people out there who want to watch replays that were removed by the recent hotfix. If you find any issues, please post them here.

Get Latest Version (v0.13b)
View Source on Github

IMPORTANT: If you get any access denied errors, please try running the application as an administrator (right-click, select Run as Administrator). If it still doesn't work, please post here.

Changelog

v0.13b
------------
- Converted replays are now saved in the same directory as the original
- File dialog now defaults to previously used directory

v0.12b
------------
- Updated for 3.0.0.10416

v0.11b
------------
- Fixed unhandled exception, streamlined workflow

v0.1b
------------
Initial beta release
- Converts 3.0.0.10242 replays to 3.0.0.10317 replays

This post has been edited by Inverse: Aug 30 2013, 15:02 PM

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Dullahan Aug 23 2013, 05:12 AM
Cool stuff, more accessible than hex-editing it.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3SgtBulldog Aug 23 2013, 07:55 AM
Nice!

+
# 4ScuttleShip Aug 25 2013, 00:40 AM
Thanks for this Inverse. Things like this are incredibly useful.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 5ZRyan Aug 25 2013, 10:58 AM
QUOTE(Dullahan @ Aug 22 2013, 22:12 PM) *

Cool stuff, more accessible than hex-editing it.

Game: None

+
# 6Inverse Aug 29 2013, 19:56 PM
New version up, working with the new patch. Games from the previous two patch versions should work with this patch.

+
# 7rofltehcat Aug 29 2013, 21:52 PM
Great! Thank you for writing this... Relic should flag patches as major and minor and make only the major ones break the replays post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 8GGTheMachine Aug 30 2013, 13:41 PM
Fantastic! Excellent work. As a shoutcaster that's awesome. smile.gif

Clan: Casters & Co.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 9Inverse Aug 30 2013, 15:00 PM
New version up, made some minor convenience fixes.

+
# 10tiburon680 Sep 26 2014, 14:23 PM
Epic replay

Attached File(s)
Attached File 1v1_German_.rec
Size: 159.17k
Number of downloads: 33
Player Name Side Team

+
# 11Dauntless Sep 13 2016, 22:31 PM
I am hoping that this is the correct thread for this. I just bought the Master Collection off of Steam since it was 75% off and wanted to get some replays to watch, but it seems that everything I look at is version 3.0.0.21567 but when I look at the version of game I have it shows 4.0.0.21567 which makes it so that I cannot see those replays. Anyone know whats going on? Did I do something wrong along the way? Thanks!

EDIT: I wasn't restarting my game. CoH1 allowed me to just add the replays without needing to restart the game. Totally me being stupid. :-P Problem solved!!!

This post has been edited by Dauntless: Sep 13 2016, 22:35 PM

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)