Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Did Maphackers Completely Kill This Game?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Volkl Aug 21 2021, 05:41 AM
Haven't played CoH1 or CoH2 in years but both forums look dead. My understanding is that CoH2 is also being maphacked now. Don't ever claim that nobody warned the community of the consequences if cheating was not confronted head on. Curious how many of those who denied the extent of maphacking were in fact cheating themselves. Perhaps being a decade older and more mature some will be ready to confess.

https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=862382

https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=910746

This post has been edited by Volkl: Aug 21 2021, 05:45 AM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Ra11 Aug 21 2021, 17:58 PM
Maphackers are a problem. But Relic dont really care about cheaters in this game anymore. But the game is old and not worth anymore for Relic to solve this problem.

Clan: ArX

+
# 3dropy Sep 17 2021, 21:50 PM
Ra11 is old, don't listen to him!

Coh 1 does not get much love from Relic these days, they don't seem capable of doing anything to it to help the community.

But its still alive : https://steamcharts.com/app/228200

+
# 4Squaggle Sep 17 2021, 23:27 PM
To be fair, those are some insanely stable player numbers over the years.

Clan: Casters & Co.

Game: Forged Battalion

+
# 5crazychris Oct 18 2021, 02:42 AM
I just got one of the top maphackers (how to win on lorraine) banned after sending a clip of it to the enforcement email for relic. If you have a clip of someone blatantly maphacking, such as chasing a hidden sniper down, you can actually get them banned.

+
# 6VillageMagician Oct 24 2021, 16:13 PM
I don't understand... how prevalent is map hacking? in coh1 I mean. Wouldnt that just ruin the fun for themselves?

I dont think most people map hack... at least not from what I can tell. This game is still very much alive.

+
# 7Volkl Dec 28 2021, 05:24 AM
QUOTE(crazychris @ Oct 17 2021, 18:42 PM) *

I just got one of the top maphackers (how to win on lorraine) banned after sending a clip of it to the enforcement email for relic. If you have a clip of someone blatantly maphacking, such as chasing a hidden sniper down, you can actually get them banned.

Thank you for taking the action. Do you mean banned or suspended? My understanding is that first time infractions result in a two week suspension at most and you will not receive any confirmation due to privacy concerns. That's a considerable amount of effort for such a minor penalty. What is your basis for stating that the maphacker was banned?

From Relic enforcement notice:
"Should you have been banned in this most recent wave, this is most likely a temporary warning ranging from 48-hours to 2-weeks depending on the infraction. "

+
# 8U!LTRA Jan 9 2022, 18:02 PM
I think there are more blatantly obvious maphackers now than back in the old days, like now so many don't even try to hide it anymore. At least in the past a lot of maphackers were only subtly using it and walking on mines etc to not be easily noticed, if a maphacker is careful enough they can't even be detected really unless they are forced to show screenshots and in some rare cases it has been provable in any replay they posted. Still it's nice to see that Relic has at least finally banned some of the freezehackers that plagued this game the last 1-2 years like Pipo, and drophacking isn't an issue like it used to be.

And yeah I remember in early CoH 2 how some people insisted that maphacks weren't possible which is just ridiculous. Even games that don't have P2P like CoH 2 and run matches on a server basis have had problems with hacking as well, I remember for example on how LoL was plagued with drophacks for many years.

And yes even the CoH community had a lot of players who talked about the need to play legit, that hacks are lame etc and then down the road ended up being caught maphacking and drophacking themselves. smile.gif One of the most popular casters and tournament organizers here on Gamereplays about 10 years ago got caught and banned for maphacking in 2v2 as well.

If this game and CoH 2 had a good anti-cheat system there would probably have been more players still playing yes. When you lose vs hackers it just kills any desire to keep playing the game.

+
# 9Volkl Jan 12 2022, 20:30 PM
QUOTE(U!LTRA @ Jan 9 2022, 10:02 AM) *

I think there are more blatantly obvious maphackers now than back in the old days...And yes even the CoH community had a lot of players who talked about the need to play legit, that hacks are lame etc and then down the road ended up being caught maphacking and drophacking themselves. smile.gif One of the most popular casters and tournament organizers here on Gamereplays about 10 years ago got caught and banned for maphacking in 2v2 as well.

Not sure if it is more blatant or just more prevalent or if people are just applying more scrutiny. A decade ago, many of the "experts" here excoriated and mocked anyone who dared suggest maphacking was an issue. It was supposedly "rare" and mostly a product of "sour grapes". As long as it was confined to basic match, we were not supposed to care. It comes as no shock to me that some so-called experts have been exposed to be cheating themselves. What is especially disappointing is that these disgraced cheaters have been welcomed back into the community. If you tolerate crime, you will get more crime. If you tolerate cheating, you will get more cheating.

+
# 10crazychris Jan 24 2022, 17:25 PM
Syrian tiger banned next smile.gif https://www.twitch.tv/smoko_coh/clip/KindSp...d&sort=time

+
# 11Volkl Jan 25 2022, 04:24 AM
Not a whole lot of context with regards to any preceeding action but there is no readily apparent reason to barrage that area. If I were to blind-fire with a front-line that far up it would be on a base or the middle exit of the bases. Maybe Captain Calliope could tell us why he chose to saturate this ground with a barrage. Maybe he heard your soldiers whispering to each other in the fog of war...

+
# 12VillageMagician Jul 17 2022, 17:37 PM
No.

+
# 13FrostDragon Sep 1 2022, 17:47 PM
We must rely on the honour system!

+
# 14Cheesy Poof Mar 26 2023, 10:29 AM
QUOTE(crazychris @ Oct 18 2021, 02:42 AM) *

It is possible to legitimately chase down hidden snipers for some time after they take a shot. Clicking on the "unit sniped" notification centres the screen over the sniper as he moves around.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)