Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3HARRYY Aug 28 2017, 09:44 AM
F !

I think its not a big deal TBH :>

+
# 4Paranoid Kamikaze Aug 28 2017, 14:11 PM
I just hope they put someone better in charge. Game got better when Egbert left in DoW 2.

+
# 5Gorb Aug 28 2017, 17:18 PM
Lots of inferred guesses in that there thread.

Plenty of people move on after a main title has shipped. Jonny r.e. DoW II (to Blizzard, after working on a few Relic games), Jay Wilson after . . . Dark Crusade? Or Company of Heroes, I forget. Again, to Blizzard, amusingly.

+
# 6Paranoid Kamikaze Aug 28 2017, 19:16 PM
QUOTE(Gorb @ Aug 28 2017, 10:18 AM) *

Lots of inferred guesses in that there thread.

Plenty of people move on after a main title has shipped. Jonny r.e. DoW II (to Blizzard, after working on a few Relic games), Jay Wilson after . . . Dark Crusade? Or Company of Heroes, I forget. Again, to Blizzard, amusingly.

It's just a bit strange that someone would be leaving after working somewhere for 12 years. Just after a poorly received game leads people to think that's the reason. He said Vancouver so it's not Blizzard this time. Maybe EA.

+
# 7Gorb Aug 28 2017, 19:54 PM
QUOTE(Paranoid Kamikaze @ Aug 28 2017, 20:16 PM) *

It's just a bit strange that someone would be leaving after working somewhere for 12 years. Just after a poorly received game leads people to think that's the reason. He said Vancouver so it's not Blizzard this time. Maybe EA.

People will read into it enough, lacking an understanding of the games development scene. I just don't think they don't need the help, don't mind me tongue.gif

Wilson is a multi-developer industry veteran, nobody blinked when he moved on. At least, nobody I remember. It seems for each game, each "generation" of game, really, these kinds of things have gotten more and more "important". It's weird, and I'm not sure how to discuss it without walloftexting.

I mean, I've been at my company (software dev.) for five years. Nobody blinks. Been in my current role almost a year and a half. It's not unusual to see ten, twenty year veterans within a single company. In games development, your specific expertise tends to land you in different places. I suspect it's something to do with the fast-moving nature of (even AAA) games dev. compared to decade-long (or longer) traditional software cycles.

tl;dr: the games development scene is incredibly fluid and to hold a position in the same company for over ten years isn't exactly the norm (and seems to be becoming less and less the norm).

+
# 8Paranoid Kamikaze Aug 29 2017, 05:12 AM
QUOTE(Gorb @ Aug 28 2017, 12:54 PM) *

People will read into it enough, lacking an understanding of the games development scene. I just don't think they don't need the help, don't mind me tongue.gif

Wilson is a multi-developer industry veteran, nobody blinked when he moved on. At least, nobody I remember. It seems for each game, each "generation" of game, really, these kinds of things have gotten more and more "important". It's weird, and I'm not sure how to discuss it without walloftexting.

He was the 'face' of DoW 3 for many interviews and was leading the project. And now he's gone. Maybe in games development that's normal. You say so and you know more about it than me, but for many other jobs that would just mean he did a terrible job and got forced to leave/fired for it. People just find ways to relate to things based off of their own experiences.

+
# 9IpKaiFung Aug 30 2017, 15:59 PM
Not a good sign, either he's jumping ship because he knows something is up or he was pushed.

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 10Gorb Aug 30 2017, 18:04 PM
Or it's completely normal, as has been said already. I mean, there's a non-zero chance, sure, but it's not either / or.

Man, the agendas, hah. I'd be surprised but we already sat through this with Ebbert and DoW II. I even remember the threads.

+
# 11Paranoid Kamikaze Aug 30 2017, 18:09 PM
I remember that as well. It didn't really matter to me personally at the time as I liked playing the game. I also didn't frantically look at numbers to see how the game was doing or anything like that. I just played. Every single thread on every single forum for DoW 3 was calling it a dead game since the start and everyone looked at the numbers constantly. I go on the official forums and the only threads there are asking why the game is so bad or what can be done to improve it because it's bad. It's like that constantly.

+
# 12Paranoid Kamikaze Sep 18 2017, 01:56 AM
He's a Senior Narrative Producer at Capcom Vancouver. Known for the Dead Rising series.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)