Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth

How do you actually play online?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Filaipus Mar 1 2019, 07:30 AM
I've been googling around and ended up in this place. I read all the sticky topics and all that but I'm still confused...

Hamachi? GameRanger? Tunngel? T3A server (whatever that means?).

I'm very confused what's the optimal way to play.
Is the T3A server still online? Could I just get a bunch of copies of the game and play with my friends?

I downloaded this http://forshire.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html and the ISO, what is the proper way to play in 2019?

I would appreciate any answer, thank you so much for keeping this game alive!

+
# 2Pallando Mar 1 2019, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure if the Online edition still auto-connects you to the server. Do you get a popup window when you start your game?

Basically most people nowadays use GameRanger to play, but there is a server community that you can find especially during the evenings as well.

T3A means "The 3rd Age" and has been a BFME modding community ever since early EA server times. smile.gif

Clan: Sons of Elendil

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 3Beterwel Mar 1 2019, 11:37 AM
QUOTE(Filaipus @ Mar 1 2019, 09:30 AM) *

I've been googling around and ended up in this place. I read all the sticky topics and all that but I'm still confused...

Hamachi? GameRanger? Tunngel? T3A server (whatever that means?).

I'm very confused what's the optimal way to play.
Is the T3A server still online? Could I just get a bunch of copies of the game and play with my friends?

I downloaded this http://forshire.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html and the ISO, what is the proper way to play in 2019?

I would appreciate any answer, thank you so much for keeping this game alive!

use gameranger

+
# 4Filaipus Mar 2 2019, 01:53 AM
QUOTE(Pallando @ Mar 1 2019, 09:55 AM) *

I'm not sure if the Online edition still auto-connects you to the server. Do you get a popup window when you start your game?

Basically most people nowadays use GameRanger to play, but there is a server community that you can find especially during the evenings as well.

T3A means "The 3rd Age" and has been a BFME modding community ever since early EA server times. smile.gif

Ok I tested and it does connect to the server! That's awesome, that's all I need to play with my friends (I just couldn't update the launcher because that crashed everything but yea).

What are the advantages of gameranger? Just a bigger population?

Also, how do I make the game fullscreen? It keeps doing this borderless thing and I can't stop it.
Also... why doesn't the map move when I scroll with my mouse? I need to press the arrow keys to move it, which sucks.

+
# 5Pallando Mar 2 2019, 07:30 AM
QUOTE(Filaipus @ Mar 2 2019, 02:53 AM) *

Ok I tested and it does connect to the server! That's awesome, that's all I need to play with my friends (I just couldn't update the launcher because that crashed everything but yea).

Also, how do I make the game fullscreen? It keeps doing this borderless thing and I can't stop it.
Also... why doesn't the map move when I scroll with my mouse? I need to press the arrow keys to move it, which sucks.

I'm not sure as that must be a forshire feature, but right-click the BFME shortcut and see if there's a -win parameter anywhere in the "Target" field. Remove it if there is. The advantages of GameRanger are that you are more likely to connect to someone and the majority of the community is on GR, the advantages of the server are (according to some people) less lag and you can have unlimited friends there.

If you want to just play with your friends, it doesn't really matter what you use if connection works fine on the server.

This post has been edited by Pallando: Mar 3 2019, 11:08 AM

+
# 6gahvin Mar 4 2019, 21:35 PM
QUOTE(Filaipus @ Mar 2 2019, 01:53 AM) *

im interested in the mouse moving screen issue. I use the forshire/t3a desktop mode launcher and sometimes I'm able to move the screen with my mouse and sometimes I can't. sucks because its really helpful to be able to do that.

+
# 7Filaipus Mar 6 2019, 05:35 AM
QUOTE(Pallando @ Mar 2 2019, 07:30 AM) *

I'm not sure as that must be a forshire feature, but right-click the BFME shortcut and see if there's a -win parameter anywhere in the "Target" field. Remove it if there is. The advantages of GameRanger are that you are more likely to connect to someone and the majority of the community is on GR, the advantages of the server are (according to some people) less lag and you can have unlimited friends there.

If you want to just play with your friends, it doesn't really matter what you use if connection works fine on the server.

There's nothing at all in the shortcuts.
Is there any way to contact forshire?
I don't even know if it's something the launcher itself would fix because it stops working once I update from 1.5 to 2.1

Also, tested it just playing through the network (since we are all in the same place) and it worked fine (to start a game it can be hard since there's so many erros but yea). We will probably just play through the T3A server since we only want to play between ourselves.

Thanks for the continuous help!
Like the user above, have you heard above the mouse bug?
Should I just try the All-in-one patch and do all that stuff instead of the forshire package? (which is a godsend btw, so easy to use).

+
# 8Pallando Mar 8 2019, 20:44 PM
The mouse issue is directly related to the window mode. BFME is not really suited for window mode. forshire basically went missing, but he returned just recently because a certain someone said that he is not a fan of his online edition. forshire's underlings saw that and notified him. He perceived it as blasphemy I'm quite sure, so he had to make a comment. I have no contact of him.

There must be a -win parameter in a shortcut somewhere. Otherwise the game would not start windowed. You can install the classic BFME version - I do it all the time, but it's more work on your end to get all the patches together.

If you want to install it the classic way, this is what you need:

BFME: https://forums.revora.net/topic/105190-bfme...allation-guide/
1.03: https://www.gamereplays.org/battleformiddle...h-103-downloads
1.05: https://www.moddb.com/mods/bfme-patch-105/d...s/get-patch-105
1.06: https://www.the3rdage.net/item-787?addview
T3A:Server: https://t3aonline.net/download/

This post has been edited by Pallando: Mar 8 2019, 20:52 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)