Explore GameReplays...

CNC Red Alert Remastered

Jimtern Twitter AMA Compilation

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1-Netput Mar 16 2020, 08:56 AM
Thought this was a interesting read on Reddit:

@bikerushownzz: will be an option to play as every faction on multiplayer, even though it wouldn't be balanced. For fun it would be cool to play as Nod vs Soviets or GDI vs Allies. Thanks. asking for Aurek058 from reddit

A:You'll actually launch the two games separately. So multiplayer will be restricted to GDI / Nod and then Allies / Soviets within each of the games.

From Reddit: "Will there be LAN multiplayer?"

A: We don't have anything to announce about LAN today. But after our Mutiplayer Reddit post in February, we definitely heard that LAN was one the most requested features from the community.

@DC4bal: The original German version of C&C was censored, is the remaster version also censored?

A: The German version will use the new remastered art assets for gameplay (so soldiers instead of robots). However, we are using the original German VO, which does still have a few references to robots and androids.

@AugiJr: How big are the Tesla Coil, Obelisk and Mammoth Tank from the 25th Anniversary Edition?

A: Great question! Our estimates are around 4 inches tall for the Tesla Coil and Obelisk. We're then estimating around 3.5 inches long for the Mammoth Tank. I can't wait to see them!

@pcnerd37: Will there be a store with the launch for people to buy things like tshirts or mouse pads?

A: We've heard a lot of love for the Nod hoodie in the past week! We don't have any plans right now, but if there's enough demand out there we can look into it. Please share what people would most like to see!

@Zaptagious: How much does the dev team look on the C&C subreddit for feedback and suggestions? I laid out a couple of minor issues regarding the Tesla Coil there.

A: We've been reading the C&C subreddit since day 1, and I do my best to read all the comments from each of my posts. Many of the best ideas for the Remastered Collection have come from the community. Please keep sharing your feedback there!

@redtieguy: Hey, will I still be able to put in my pre-order for the 25th anniversary edition on Limited Run by the end of this month or is it while stocks last? Also, will you have mod support in addition to switching to the original cutscenes? Thanks Grinning face with smiling eyes

A: Yes you can still purchase the Collector's Editions up through April 10, so the end of this month would be just fine!

@geneon101: Did those workers ever get any shoes?

A: Yes if you bought the upgrade in Zero Hour smile.gif

@Blumi_87: For which systems will it come? Only PC or maybe PS or others?

A: Right now the Remastered Collection is only on PC. But we know C&C has a rich history on console, which is why we've also brought some of the legacy console content (missions and cinematics) to the PC for this release.

From Reddit: "Will there be subtitles for the cutscenes between missions?"

A: Yes! We've added cinematic subtitles for the following languages - English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

@Cap24465934: Are there any pre-order benefits?

A: Pre-ordering the Collector's Edition will lock in your chance to get this limited piece of C&C history. Pre-ordering any version will provide the benefit of putting a big smile on my face : )

@RobinDekker20: Hi Jim, will there be difficulty levels on Tiberian Dawn? At the original is wasn't and I would like to play it on brutal.

Second, how smart is the AI? At the original you could block units with sandbags and things like destroying the harvester and they wouldn't buy a new one.

A: I'm glad you asked! We've actually added difficulty levels to the campaign for Tiberian Dawn, along with Skirmish mode with AI difficulty levels as well. We did keep many of the AI behaviors the same, but have fixed a few AI bugs along the way.

@TorbisXD: Hello how are you?

A: I'm great! The past 24 hours have been some of the most exciting of my career, and seeing the whole C&C community come together for the reveal yesterday was just amazing : )

@NoStringsPrd: Will the graphics switch work in multiplayer, or is it for campaign only? Cheers Jim!

A: The graphics switching took some magical code work by the Petroglyph team. It works in solo modes, so Campaign and Skirmish, but not in Multiplayer. It's one of my favorite features in the Remastered Collection.

@Just_Tank: Why are you called "Jimtern" =)

A: So back in 2004 I was an intern with the EALA RTS team making The Battle for Middle-earth. During the project one of the cinematic producers gave me the nickname "Jimtern". It just stuck on the team, and here we are 15 years later : )

From Reddit: "If I buy on Steam, do we need Origin installed to play the game on Steam or if we only need to link/sign in with an EA account?"

A: Right now, Steam players will need to link to an EA Account upon first bootup. However, they will not need the Origin Client installed

@Zaptagious: How extensive is the Map Editor? Can you make single player missions with it? Also what kind of user content will be possible to put on the Steam Workshop?

A: Yes! The Map Editor can create both single-player and multiplayer maps. We're excited to see what the community creates!

@noregular_solex: Will we be able to set our helicopters and aircraft on Guard and make them automatically attack a unit that comes close to it’s helipad/airstrip?

A: I do not believe this is something we've added to the title. But we do have a running wishlist of all the community suggested items, and will be sure to add this to the list!

@vrubaykA: is the game fully playable offline? How does this drm work exactly?

A: Excellent question. Both Campaign and Skirmish modes will be playable offline (Within the 30 day offline rules for Steam and Origin). The only DRM is the standard Origin and Steam authentication. (For example, no Denuvo)

@woutvA: Hi Jim! I was wondering if you guys ever contacted Joe Kucan for anything related to the remaster? Besides his classic role as kane, he also did a lot of the AMV directions if I recall correctly. Is he aware of the remaster, and what was his reaction to/role in them?

A: The teams at both EA and Petroglyph are still in close contact with Joe. We did reach out to Joe and he provided his blessing to use several behind-the-scenes photos for the Bonus Gallery. We love Joe and he has always been supportive of the franchise.

@Cap24465934: Any bugs fixed included in C&C remastered collection? Will the multiplayer server be supported for long? We don't want to see "closing of GameSpy" happen again.

A: Yes! The Community Council has provided the team with lists of bugs from the legacy versions, which we've been prioritizing over the course of the project. We've fixed some good ones for sure.

@Cap24465934: Is there any other premium edition that will come with the release on Jun 5? The only reason I have not bought 25th anniversary edition for now is there could be a better edition(like premier edition for RA3 yeas ago).

A: Great question! The only edition on June 5 will be the standard Digital edition. The Limited Run Collector's Editions will definitely be the best versions we put out, so you might want to lock that in!

@robdidntask: What has been the most difficult part of the remaster process in your view?

A: The terrain was perhaps the most difficult part to remaster. It took months of iteration with the dev teams and bouncing versions off the Community Council to find a style that felt positive. You'll all be able to play with all the tiles in the Map Editor.

@Amars901: Is it possible to buy single things from the 25th anniversary box or other c&c stuff ? For streamers good giveaways

A: You won't be able to buy individual items, but you're welcome to purchase the full edition and then giveaway the individual items if you so choose. We'll look into offering other merchandise for individual purchase if the community is passionate about it!

@TuHolmes: Jim!! How you doing buddy! I didn’t know you were the lead producer on the remastered collection! How have you been dude?!

A: Hey Tu! Great to hear from you! Yup I've come full circle and ecstatic to be working on C&C again!

@woutvA: Even though most information have been out in the open, I was kind of hoping for a making off DVD in the collectors edition. Can we expect some behind the scenes video footage when the project is complete?

A: We're including over 4 hours of behind the scenes video content in the Bonus Gallery feature. You can watch my FMV reveal video from last week to hear the whole story and learn more details: https://youtu.be/ikJLYYTrIxs

@DC4bal: is there a game speed controller in the remaster like in the original?

A: Yes you can adjust the game speed for yourself in both Campaign and Skirmish, and then the Host can choose it for everyone in Multiplayer.

@Luke_J49: Will there be anything to show which skirmish maps you have won on? Like in c&c generals where a star indicated what difficulty you won it on?

A: We do show which Campaign missions you've completed and at what difficulty, but we don't currently do it for Skirmish maps. That's a great suggestion though!

@liambrazier: What are the supported systems? Is it Windows only or are things like iPad an option at some point?

A: We're only focused on Windows PC, with support for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

@noregular_solex: How do the radar Jammers work? And are there any units that have gotten a rework to make them more viable? (Eg medics, thiefs, spies).

A: Our goal has been to maintain the authentic gameplay of the classic games, so we've kept the functionality of all the units the same.

@Lukasmik9: If I pre-ordered 25 anniversary edition. I will able to play on release or I need to wait my ordered physical copy?

A: Both Collector's Editions come with a Steam code, which will be emailed to you in the days prior to launch on June 5. That way you can pre-load and play the minute the game comes out, regardless of when your physical copy arrives.

@arsalansyed11: Just want to say thank you for remastering the games. I've pre-ordered the game and can't wait to play it Red heart

A: Thanks for the support! Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield in June!

@MaDStuFF_sgor00: Will there be closed/public beta test? And how long till release, if it will?

A: We are not planning on a closed or public beta test. But we are getting a ton of valuable feedback from the Community Council and feedback on Reddit right now.

@rebuuber1: Have the campaign missions stayed the same gameplay-wise? Other than the graphical and QoL improvements from the remaster, of course.

A: Yes the campaign missions are effectively the same gameplay-wise. We have added campaign difficutly levels for Tiberian Dawn, and we hope everyone enjoys the graphical and QoL improvements.

@EntityOne1: Did you all have fun making the remaster?

A: Absolutely, making the the Remastered Collection has been one of the highlights of my career, especially getting to work so closely with Petroglyph, Lemon Sky, and the community

@KonsAmax: you can unlock the extra content (videos, etc.) just by playing or there will be some sort of challenge? Vague answers welcomed

A: You'll earn a piece of behind-the-scenes content each time you complete a campaign mission (Regardless of difficulty level). We do track which difficulty you completed campaign missions on, so for a true challenge try to complete all missions on Hard : )

@AugiJr: How much of the AI was modernized in the game? Will harvesters still take agonizingly long routes following cliff faces or will they take smarter more direct routes?

A: I have to be honest, I think AI is going to be our white-whale for this project. We were able to bring Skirmish AI to Tib Dawn, but we found it challenging to improve certain AI mechanics. We instead decided to focus on other community requested features.

@fritamente: What unit was the most fun to recreate or redraw? Which was most challenging?

A: For me, I loved rebuilding the Nod Flame Tank. We were able to bring in a few elements from the cinematics which was super fun. One of the most challenging was the Orca, as the angles in game made it tough to match the legacy style.

@Dereleased: Will the game probably run on Win7 as well, or will I finally have to bite the bullet and upgrade?

A: We are not officially supporting Windows 7, but it should run perhaps with some minor issues. For the best experience, we encourage Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

@BenLeech2: Hey Jim, would you mind settling a small bet for me please?

Will both games in the Remaster feature 8 player support?

I've been absolutely blown away by yesterday's news; thank you so much for continuing to fight the good fight for C&C! smile.gif

A: Hello! We are keeping the player numbers the same as the legacy titles, given some of the map restrictions. So four players for Tib Dawn, and eight players for Red Alert. Sorry if you lost your bet...

@PurpleGaga27: Will Hell March to the Apocalypse by Tony Dickenson, Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons be in the RA remaster?

A: We focused on the setlist performed at MAGFest, along with the community requested Just Do It Up. Hell March to the Apocalypse is not currently included, but we are also big fans of the track.

@PurpleGaga27: Will there be any new tracks to the remasters other than the covered tracks by The Tiberian Sons?

A: Yes! Frank has actually discovered several unreleased tracks from the original games which can be unlocked via the Bonus Gallery. We hope you enjoy them!

@jeffrey_casts: With an ELO system in place, are there plans to make the C&C Remastered collection competitive? For example, EA-held tournaments? Or perhaps incentives for TOs to host tournaments?

A: We're super excited to see what type of tournaments the community is able to host, and hoping some of the new QoL features help with this. We'll start engaging with the community more on this front closer to launch.

@RecursiveRick: In multiplayer can you form alliances with players while in game like RA2? (handy for people DC or leave). Does it support different match types 2v2 3v3 4v4 FFA etc.

A: Great question! In the new Custom Game Lobby, you can set teams ahead of time and have any combination you'd like. So 2v2, 3v2v3, 1v7, take your pick! (Up to four players for Tib Dawn, and eight players for RA)

@pehndA: hey guys! super excited for this and i already pre-ordered on steam! 🙂i have a question about languages. are we able to change them in the settings?me as a german guy I'd love to change them to fully english. is language swap included? 🙂have a great day!

A: Thanks for the support! Yes, you can simply change the game language in your Steam game properties and play in any of our supported languages. Cheers!

@IamArzA: Hey Jim, this is just a thank you from out community. This type of transparency is something we need more of in the industry, and you frankly are a pioneer of it in my eyes. Hope we see more of you well into the future. smile.gif

A: Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoping this development style can encourage more of this transparency in the future, and foster even further collaboration with the community.

@Deaths_Cyanide: What is both your favorite and least favorite unit in the games? Mine was the V2(Favorite) and APC(Least).

A: It's tough to answer this on the fly, but I have always loved the Orca since I was a kid, and we iterated on the look of the Orca for months for the remastered version. My least favorite is probably the Mine Layers...

@RTS_YODA_VIDS: will there be a way to spectate multiplayer games? For tournaments and such?

A: Hello! We have added a new Observer mode and Replays to the game which should help support spectated games. We'll certainly want feedback from the community on how to continue improving these tools.

@Jacetoz: Huge fan of the franchise especially the original games! Will there be a game manual included in the Physical Editions just like when the original games released back in the '90s? Please include a game manual! If you can't include a separate game manual, perhaps in the art book.

A: Hey there! Unfortunately we were unable to include a physical manual in the Collector's Editions. We're still exploring if providing a digital manual would be feasible for all versions.

@JoKerR125: Will the games have mod support?

A: We were excited to reveal the Map Editor yesterday, but we don't have anything to announce about mods today. In speaking to the community, we know mods is one of the most important and requested items.

@RecursiveRick: I don't want to give too much away here on spoilers but did you keep the alternative GDI ending if you blow up a certain building a certain way?

A: There might be a certain ending in a certain Remastered Collection that might play a certain FMV if the right certain conditions are met : )

@woutvA: Was so busy asking questions that I forgot to thank you guys for all the hard work! Can you also make sure the people behind the scenes get the big thanks as well? smile.gif Keep it up, and cant wait for the release!

A: Thanks for the kind words! We'll be sure to pass along this note to everyone working on the project.

@jeffrey_casts: In terms of the animations, while the framerate was dramatically improved, why weren't the animations and movement of units smoothed out more? They still operate like the original assets, just running at a higher framerate. Fidelity is important, but it could have looked better.

A: There were several creative factors here, but a key driver was keeping the animations frame-to-frame to properly enable the real-time switching of graphics. We have been able to increase the frames on a few cosmetic VFX based on community feedback from the fall.

@SolidTony_: Will there be an online ladder system or just general online play?

A: We were able to add 1v1 Quickmatch for both games. This is based on Elo matchmaking system, and will also include an in-game 1v1 leaderboard. See you on the battlefield!

@venport6673: Will the unit balance in remaster remain same as in original games, and what about maximum map size in Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert?

A: We've decided to keep the balance and map sizes the same as the legacy titles. The Tib Dawn maps support four players, while certain Red Alert maps support up to eight players.

@RecursiveRick: Do you have some of the lesser known units available, maybe just for single player maps. Such as the apache, Nod SSM launcher and Orcas with friken Lazer beams?

A: All of the playable unit content from the original games should have received their remastered treatment. I believe the Lazer Orcas you're referring to were used in a unique console mission, which we have brought over the to the PC for the Remastered Collection.

@PalawanGamer: Tibsun & RA2 next?

A: Right now we're focused on finishing the Remastered Collection. The truth is, this is the first PC RTS game we've released in 10 years. Everyone in the company is excited about the release and we're hoping for a successful launch!

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2Leikeze Mar 16 2020, 13:56 PM
@BenLeech2: Hey Jim, would you mind settling a small bet for me please?

Will both games in the Remaster feature 8 player support?

I've been absolutely blown away by yesterday's news; thank you so much for continuing to fight the good fight for C&C! smile.gif

A: Hello! We are keeping the player numbers the same as the legacy titles, given some of the map restrictions. So four players for Tib Dawn, and eight players for Red Alert. Sorry if you lost your bet...

sad.gif

Clan: WbG

+
# 3~JoKeR~ Mar 16 2020, 14:09 PM
@JoKerR125: Will the games have mod support?

A: We were excited to reveal the Map Editor yesterday, but we don't have anything to announce about mods today. In speaking to the community, we know mods is one of the most important and requested items.

My question got answered banana.gifbanana.gif

Clan: WbG

+
# 4RRcabal Mar 16 2020, 15:34 PM
It was great to see Jim do that QnA on twitter, there were even questions on more remaster CNC games like RA2. smile.gif

Game: None

+
# 5FUzziBabes Mar 18 2020, 22:29 PM
Interesting read! Good to know that TD won't be supporting 8 player games

Game: CNC Tiberian Dawn Remastered

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)