Explore GameReplays...

LOTR Amazon TV Series

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1FallenXE Nov 13 2017, 23:12 PM
Amazon Studios has just announced a deal with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, along with book publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, to secure the TV rights to The Lord of the Rings franchise.

According to Deadline, the deal is rumoured to be as close to US $250 million and Amazon is set to support it for multiple seasons. The series, which will be a prequel to The Fellowship of the Ring, could also result in a commitment to a spin-off series.

Clearly Amazon is trying to bite into the Game of Thrones TV crowd by crafting its own successful medieval-fantasy series so it will be interesting to see how this project picks up steam. No news however whether the Tolkien Estate will tie this particular deal to any separate game developers or if they will continue to stick with Monolith Productions.

We will continue to keep a close eye on this developing story. Do give us your thoughts and comments on Amazon's LOTR deal below!

Twitter Image
Discord Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached highlight
Attached Image

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2bushit Nov 13 2017, 23:16 PM
ye that is some interesting news, i hope they adequately use books and source material. Later seasons of GoT kinda fell apart imo

one cool topic for this could be something like: "What mistakes should Amazon avoid?"

OR

"What Amazon's LOTR series can learn from HBO's Game of Thrones"

Clan: GoF|

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3Phoenix Nov 14 2017, 00:40 AM
I can't wait biggrin.gif. So ready to start binge watching this when it's out.

Clan: Corruption of Light

+
# 4Mako Nov 14 2017, 10:03 AM
Am I the only one that hasn't a good impression of that?

+
# 5RanDoM'L0L Nov 14 2017, 11:48 AM
This has a great potential to turn into a complete disaster. I really hope it won't tho, looking forward to it smile.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 6Maru Nov 14 2017, 13:20 PM
I'm VERY nervous about this I really must say. I saw it on Facebook earlier and instantly cringed. Original cast or gtfo xD

Why can't they tackle T1A instead. Less chance of fucking it up.

Clan: New Generation

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 7FallenXE Nov 14 2017, 15:53 PM
QUOTE(bushit @ Nov 14 2017, 07:16 AM) *

ye that is some interesting news, i hope they adequately use books and source material. Later seasons of GoT kinda fell apart imo

one cool topic for this could be something like: "What mistakes should Amazon avoid?"

OR

"What Amazon's LOTR series can learn from HBO's Game of Thrones"

I'd blog about that but I'm not a fan of GoT so I can't make the comparisons haha tongue.gif

QUOTE(Maru @ Nov 14 2017, 21:20 PM) *

I'm VERY nervous about this I really must say. I saw it on Facebook earlier and instantly cringed. Original cast or gtfo xD

Why can't they tackle T1A instead. Less chance of fucking it up.

What's T1A?

+
# 8Maru Nov 14 2017, 20:26 PM
It's my very quick and lazy way of writing The First Age.

+
# 9TheRingisHot Nov 14 2017, 20:28 PM
already several seasons and spin offs in the planning.. oh dear

also nice article wallpaper

+
# 10TheRanger_ Nov 14 2017, 21:46 PM
Never clicked on anything so fast in my life.

They had better pay to Tolkien the most deepest respect and adoration that has ever been known to the race of Men, and stay true to his Legendarium and not fall to what daily tv has become, or the blood of the Dunedain that courses through my veins shall be set afire, with such passion and emotions that will not be able to be contained within me or my brethren.

No oath shall I swear or be bound to, but I will say this: they must do it justice, plain and simple, or all hell shall descend upon them.

+
# 11Maru Nov 15 2017, 11:08 AM
QUOTE(TheRanger_ @ Nov 14 2017, 22:46 PM) *

They had better pay to Tolkien the most deepest respect and adoration that has ever been known to the race of Men, and stay true to his Legendarium and not fall to what daily tv has become, or the blood of the Dunedain that courses through my veins shall be set afire, with such passion and emotions that will not be able to be contained within me or my brethren.

No oath shall I swear or be bound to, but I will say this: they must do it justice, plain and simple, or all hell shall descend upon them.

+
# 12RanDoM'L0L Nov 15 2017, 23:41 PM
That was hella harsh lol.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 13Maru Nov 16 2017, 12:14 PM
Was it many some much harsh?

+
# 14brabox Nov 16 2017, 13:44 PM
Let's hope it'll be good!

There's just so many things they could mess up... Market researchers will probably try to push it too far into the GoT direction. Some of that style of storytelling may work in LoTR, but getting rid of the heroism and whimsy entirely wouldn't be acceptable IMO. Nor do I really look forward to seeing tits everywhere in Middle-Earth.

Furthermore it'll be interesting to see how they deal with incompatibilities with today's morals. Humans good, ugly orcs bad. West good, East bad. All people from 1 area look the same. The races are all really isolated and segregated. War is heroic and the true horrors are generally glossed over.

Personally I have no problem with that since it's fantasy. But don't underestimate what publishers will try to do to cater to a larger audience. Maybe they'll do some dumb shit like focus on a "good orc" who joins the FoL tongue.gif
Or show good guys violently getting their guts cut out instead of giving them a death scene like Boromir's.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 15Leikeze Nov 16 2017, 14:19 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ Nov 16 2017, 08:44 AM) *

Maybe they'll do some dumb shit like focus on a "good orc" who joins the FoL tongue.gif

Don't say it, I can see it happening.

Clan: Master of Death

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 16FallenXE Nov 16 2017, 16:41 PM
@Brabox I do hope they don't push it to the GoT direction just because they think it will replicate the success the latter obtained. They should respect the IP that they have on their plate and craft the series such that its both exciting and pays homage to the established LOTR lore. And yes not tits flying around everywhere either please haha.

+
# 17ivan55599 Nov 17 2017, 18:55 PM
I can clearly see GoT-styled backstabbing, machinations and other things happening in Gondor and Rohan. Because of spinoffs, this allows almost limitless possibilities (for GoT-things).

+
# 18trevormcg Nov 17 2017, 23:06 PM
QUOTE(TheRanger_ @ Nov 14 2017, 21:46 PM) *

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)