Explore GameReplays...

Red Alert 3

Let's mix up the 1v1 ranked map pool

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1yogal May 5 2018, 13:31 PM
Maps like Infinity Isle and Fire Island are great and all, but after playing the same small bunch of maps for 10 years I think it's time to mix it up and keep things exciting. The maps that aren't in the ranked pool just don't get played.

I want to see what the pros can do on the rest of the maps, like Casual Encounter and Secret Shrine, even the RA3 Uprising maps added in patches 1.12.x. What do you think? Please consider it, it would make the competitive scene so much more interesting.

Game: None

+
# 2ViperMkVII May 5 2018, 13:40 PM
Actually even if they are in the ranked map pool they still won't be played (for example Snow Plow, Temple Prime and Cabana Republic)
We need automatch for this, it will randomly choose a map instead of letting players decide which map to play.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 3Dimon0000000 May 5 2018, 14:17 PM
QUOTE(yogal @ May 5 2018, 23:31 PM) *

Maps like Infinity Isle and Fire Island are great and all, but after playing the same small bunch of maps for 10 years I think it's time to mix it up and keep things exciting. The maps that aren't in the ranked pool just don't get played.

I want to see what the pros can do on the rest of the maps, like Casual Encounter and Secret Shrine, even the RA3 Uprising maps added in patches 1.12.x. What do you think? Please consider it, it would make the competitive scene so much more interesting.

There is a lot of games on uprising maps.
Grinder League Season 3
Also check older seasons.

+
# 4yogal May 5 2018, 14:53 PM
QUOTE(Dimon0000000 @ May 6 2018, 00:17 AM) *

There is a lot of games on uprising maps.
Grinder League Season 3
Also check older seasons.

Good catch, I probably didn't see those because I only saw the monthly ladder wars announcements etc

+
# 5c9q9md May 5 2018, 14:54 PM
The red alert 3 community are bunch of old farts who wouldn't try anything new even if their life depended on it. This game is strictly no fun allowed.

+
# 6BUn1997 May 5 2018, 15:27 PM
QUOTE(ViperMkVII @ May 5 2018, 13:40 PM) *

Actually even if they are in the ranked map pool they still won't be played (for example Snow Plow, Temple Prime and Cabana Republic)
We need automatch for this, it will randomly choose a map instead of letting players decide which map to play.

Absolutely agree, we just need automatch sad.gif. Really want to hear from dev team if our dream could ever come true

Clan: m8s

+
# 7Das.Duelon May 5 2018, 18:41 PM
The red alert 3 community are bunch of old farts who wouldn't try anything new even if their life depended on it. This game is strictly no fun allowed.

^

Game: Battlefield 1943

+
# 8Andrey_96 May 5 2018, 19:23 PM
about maps,nobody make good balance maps,so we keep playing on 7 olds,also about 7 olds,nobody make balance on them,easy do it but nah ekkkк

+
# 9Das.Duelon May 6 2018, 14:28 PM
about maps,nobody make good balance maps,so we keep playing on 7 olds,also about 7 olds,nobody make balance on them,easy do it but nah ekkkк

What would a good balanced map look like in your opinion? and how would you fix the 7 standard maps?

+
# 10zokker13 May 6 2018, 16:17 PM
Please just add motw to the ladder pool and let the community self evolve (and obviously, release maps for the folks).

motw maps are supposed to give you more ELO when winning so it will have THE benefit to play them.

+
# 11Vindies May 6 2018, 20:47 PM
I totally agree that all or at least some of the 7 standard maps should be replaced - at least for some time. We have had a couple of events over the last few years like the Grinder Leagues and some tournaments. Unfortunately, the maps did not receive a warm welcome by a big part of the community. That is a shame because new maps force players to adapt and invent new viable BOs benefitting the active playerbase. It is also more fun watching new maps for observers in relation to tournaments.

Selecting new maps can be an issue though. They have to be balanced toward all factions. Earlier, we have seen extremely imbalanced maps being part of events and that is very discouraging. I would love to see new maps but they must be picked wisely. Ask the best current players we have to choose maps based on reasoned arguments. Ideally, this would fit the expert forum if it wasn't only me, DasDuelon and Dimon of active players there. Extend us to a few more and give it a go wink.gif

QUOTE(zokker13 @ May 6 2018, 17:17 PM) *

Please just add motw to the ladder pool and let the community self evolve (and obviously, release maps for the folks).

motw maps are supposed to give you more ELO when winning so it will have THE benefit to play them.

Interesting. I would be up for this.

+
# 12Sheriff AA May 6 2018, 22:42 PM
There were a handful of newer maps played in the Grinder League that I felt were solid maps. I was surprised that they fell out of favor so quickly.

Mirs Landing in particular was a solid 1v1 map.

+
# 13Constable Chris May 6 2018, 22:55 PM
One of the steps that I tried to take was to add the new 1v1 maps (Uprising and Community Made maps) to the patch.

So when people downloaded the patch, the new maps also come. It's like a package deal in which people have no choice but to get the new maps along with the patch.

It did not work out so well as people completely ignored the new maps and stuck to the standard ones so there's that.

What is ironic is the fact that players claim the new maps are unbalanced, when in fact, we always see debates about the original maps being unbalanced as well.

Clan: H2O

+
# 14Vindies May 6 2018, 23:06 PM
Exactly.

Among the uprising maps as well as Manieks and DasDuelons maps some are indeed much more balanced than the original ones. Take a look at Snow Plow and BBB. They should be completely locked down and replaced ASAP in the competetive match pool.

In regards to Mir's Landing: I totally agree with AA - this is a very great and very balanced map.

+
# 15Inspector RaGe May 6 2018, 23:54 PM
You know me, I don't play anymore. I host smile.gif

So I'm up for a change of maps, I would just need the feedback from all of you guys as to which are the best and most balanced ones for competition. wink.gif

+
# 16Das.Duelon May 7 2018, 00:04 AM
if we could come up with some points in regards to what a "balanced map" should look like, it would make the mapmaker's job so much easier.

From what I gathered during my run as mapmaker:

- Not too big (favours Empire), but also not too small (favors turretpushes / Aircraft gets super powerful)
- Not too many cliffs / highground/lowground changes (unpassable terrain is bad for sovs, since they are the faction relaying on ground units the most)
- Not too many structures (gives the other factions mapcontrol over allies)
- 3rd ref location needs to be in close proximity to the mainbase (SvE Tengu harass becomes a problem if too far apart)
- Give access to water from spawn so allies can go fast riptides
- Mid-map Oils (Oils that could be "fought for". i.e. TP SP FI oils) favor empire
- Spread refs so that allies cant take 2 refs without moving MCV

Thats the feedback I got when I was doing my thing. I dont agree with some of them, but I dont know everything so I might be wrong.

This post has been edited by Das.Duelon: May 7 2018, 00:29 AM

+
# 17GBHmichael May 7 2018, 00:24 AM
Quite often people jump to conclusions about maps' balance. It's just a case of people not having figured out how to play them yet. Eg, just because a so-called 'standard' build doesn't work, it doesn't make it unbalanced.

Take sc2 for example. They switch up the map pool every season and the playstyle often shifts entirely by the end of the season. These 'new' ra3 maps don't get played enough for any reasonable conclusion to be made, just initial speculation.

+
# 18Constable Chris May 7 2018, 09:26 AM
^This

Players really need to give these maps another chance and more time. They will eventually find that they are perfectly playable.

The fact that we have been using the standard map pool for 10 years now (and still counting) is laughable.

Clan: H2O

+
# 19Andrey_96 May 7 2018, 12:53 PM
for example fi,make 1 oil near with base,for sov can cap him vs allies fast af+block mid deploy mcv cuz allies mcv too op there PROFIT map is balance,just use iq btw i remember fixed tp,was much better than standard wink.gif

+
# 20yogal May 12 2018, 13:52 PM
QUOTE(Constable Chris @ May 7 2018, 08:55 AM) *

One of the steps that I tried to take was to add the new 1v1 maps (Uprising and Community Made maps) to the patch.

So when people downloaded the patch, the new maps also come. It's like a package deal in which people have no choice but to get the new maps along with the patch.

It did not work out so well as people completely ignored the new maps and stuck to the standard ones so there's that.

Part of the reason might be because none of them were available to be played as ranked.
Kinda funny to think that EA went through all the effort to make all those Uprising maps only to never make them available for multiplayer (except for a small handful)

I was just thinking about the issue of faction advantage/balance on some maps, and perhaps maybe it's not such a big issue after all because if someone believes a map favours a particular faction there's nothing stopping them picking that faction. It would force people to git gud at other factions instead of sticking with one all the time tongue.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)