Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

New 4v4 Map Pack available!

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1mvrx Dec 24 2008, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone,

Don't really have time for a detailed post about this until I come back after xmas. So here's a preview until I can add some pictures and more detail.

Over the last year I've worked on several maps and only released a couple, but over the holiday break I finally put enough time in to get them all finished up and put into a map pack installer for you all.

All these maps are prefixed with !TE! for Tournament Edition. They all limit each player to a 2 fort anti-spam limit, and 4-5 warg pit limit for Isengard players.

For most of them, if you start the game at $1800, it enables 5 minute no rush mode. There is also a little bonus for each where if you put the ring in your fortress, you get a one time Frodo bonus. He's got a little more health, but he's still a wuss overall.

In a few of the maps, I added a little fun where if "Ring Heroes mode" is active, gollum hides in a house. In Iron Hills, there is a Tom Bombadil house on each side of the map, if you attack it, Tom comes out to kick you in the teeth. Kill his house, and you get the ring. In Lanthir Lamath, Elrond holds the ring in his house. These are the only two human maps where I modified how you can get rings.

There are 10 maps. 5 are mine, 3 are from Hendembar (with her permission), and 2 I forget where I got them. All are 4v4 - They are;

!TE! Cair Andros
*Split by a to channel wide river in the middle with bridged islands. Medium size.

!TE! EastFold v2
* Wide open map with a trail down the middle. People who like tourney hills or similar non-choke-point style maps will like this one.

!TE! Gladiator Ring v3
* This is a 4v4 version of Stonwain, with the center of the map converted to a gladiator ring with a perfect circle or men walls. Kind of like a Helms Deep split where both teams have to keep the other side out, while trying to push in. Each side has 2 gates, controlled by players. Started at $1800 enables no rush mode, but doesn't prevent the other side from coming in. Instead it makes the gate invincible for 5 minute countdown. After 5 minutes, the enemy can destroy the gate. Again, the NR mode is just an option. This map makes for some seriously heavy and constant battling in the middle ring. It isn't resource heavy as there just isn't a ton of room with 4 players per side.

!TE! Iron Hills v2
* This was the Iron Hills 1v1 taken from the stock maps included in ROTWK. I converted it to a 4v4, and....

* * Added a "dwarven riches marketplace" theme for each side. Any farm built near the Inn will be granted dwarven riches. This was done to provide a little more income opportunity since this map is rather small for 4v4. It also causes teams to try to destroy that area for the other team and introduces some fun strategy.

* * The center Inns make hobbits, not archers. I miss having those rock chuckers around sometimes.

* * Enable ring heroes mode: Activates Gollum hiding inside Tom Bombadil's house. You want a ring, you gotta knock on Tom's door to get it.

!TE! Lake Helevorn v2
* Large hilly map. 3 players north, 3 players south, and 2 right in the middle high up on hills that must be opposing team members. Players can't rush across center bridge for 45 second start. Big time team work map.

!TE! Lanthir Lamath v2
* Gorgous map, my favoriate from Hendembar. It's pretty much the same as she gave it to me, other than I changed Elrond's house to hold the ring. Destroy his house, he will come out holding the ring, and be angry with you. Hill him and the ring is yours. Other than that, this is a pretty open and extremely clean map. I would say this is the best 4v4 addition to ROTWK I've ever seen.

!TE! Nanduhirion
* Exactly the same as normal Nanduhirion, except 10% higher camera view, and TE rules to limit fort/warg pit spamming. Play this if you're tired of people spamming 10 forts in a game causing it to take 4 hours.

!TE! Nanduhirion 3v3v2
* A map I made over a year ago and never released. This is Nandu with 3 fort spots west, 3 fort spots east, and 2 fort spots on the north and south hills. The N & S team has a single choke point in/out for defense, and both have tunnels built into the mountain side so they can reach each other for support. This map can be a serious blast for those who like a little FFA twist in a Nandu style game. Adds allot of variety to who can attack who scenarios.

!TE! Nanduhirion SuperCompStomp v5
* An update to my heavily played Nanduhirion SuperCompStomp v3. This is a 5 human vs 3 comp map. If you could easily take 4 brutals on nandu with 4 human partners before, you should find that 5v3 on this, can be a major headache.

* * Each player starts out owning a set of faction specific towers, cata expansions built into the hills, and a few other treats I'll leave up to you to find. There is a Elrond's house on the north hill to get a second ring, and you get the Frodo bonus for getting the ring.

* * * V5: I cleaned up and sped up some of the code, added more premade heroes that the comps can call on, more tricky trigger areas, and a little more intelligence to the comps to work with each other and not fall for certain human tricks.

Old Forest N' Barrow Downs
* Don't know much about this map. I played it a couple times and thought it would be nice to add to the 4v4 map pack. I didn't change it at all.

Tools and launchers
I also included several small little launch .bat (batch) files that I use to launch the game at various resolutions as well as mount the virtual disc image (removes need to have disc in drive). These launchers don't compare to what the u2.02 launcher does, but it a tiny bit quicker for a few things I do, so I thought I'd toss them in.

You can download the map pack at http://bfme.us . The installer has been triple checked for spyware/virus, and doesn't actually install any software - only puts the files into the maps directory.

I'd love to hear your comments, assuming "You suck" isn't part of them ;-) heh.

p.s. I will be releasing future updates if other people want me to include their maps, but only if the map is really well done and clean. I don't plan to update my maps much if at all after this. It took me long enough to finally get them polished and released to version 2+ smile.gif

This post has been edited by mvrx: Dec 24 2008, 09:58 AM

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 2Ivan Dec 24 2008, 16:45 PM
I liked the maps but I am addicted to CW rules and gameplay, so some of them aren't very nice for me. post-13661-1143531603.gif Anyhow, good job, I believe these maps will be downloaded by many people from here. smile.gif

Game: None

+
# 3Bumpin'Bob Dec 24 2008, 18:45 PM
Coool...i'll check these out sometime when i get the chance. smile.gif

+
# 4Andybear Dec 25 2008, 07:01 AM
GoAaaron:D

Looks fun.

Only downside is comps with Low ram tend to crash on your huge ass maps.

This post has been edited by Teh^BKoEa-: Dec 25 2008, 07:03 AM

Clan: Knights of Ea

+
# 5trucky Dec 27 2008, 14:53 PM
that 3v3v2 map sounds awesome tongue.gif

+
# 6mvrx Jan 14 2009, 00:43 AM
QUOTE(SNWrist @ Dec 24 2008, 09:45 AM) *
I liked the maps but I am addicted to CW rules and gameplay, so some of them aren't very nice for me. post-13661-1143531603.gif Anyhow, good job, I believe these maps will be downloaded by many people from here. smile.gif

Well, in all the maps, players are limited to 2 total forts, and 4 or 5 warg pits. I almost limited use of fell wind for a minute, but figured thats pretty rare that people end up abusing that trick.

QUOTE(Teh^BKoEa- @ Dec 25 2008, 00:01 AM) *
GoAaaron:DOnly downside is comps with Low ram tend to crash on your huge ass maps.

These maps aren't typically much bigger than stock games, and I've heard no one telling me they cause a crash anymore than other maps. I'm surprised more people dont have 4GB of ram in their systems these days. Considering you can fully load a comp for under $40 (search http://bensbargains.net/search.php for 4GB)

QUOTE(thepickuptruck @ Dec 27 2008, 07:53 AM) *
that 3v3v2 map sounds awesome tongue.gif

It certainly makes for some intense games. I've seen a few pro's doing 3v5 on it. Where the 3 pro's are in the west, and 5 others on the middle/east positions. smile.gif

+
# 7Jace Jan 14 2009, 18:23 PM
im not runnin 4g of ram cause im broke XD

+
# 8Andybear Jan 14 2009, 18:56 PM
I've played your maps Aarron, they're pretty fit tbh, use your skype channel to ;D

I crashed on the 3v3v2 nand more than once way back when, when I only had 1Gig ram wacko.gif

No worries now though 4gigs ftw ;D

+
# 9Forlong Jan 15 2009, 03:11 AM
fyi, I just discovered OldForestBarrowDowns was made by Azrapse wink.gif

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 10Beorning Jan 15 2009, 04:23 AM
Im not sure if this is related to the map pack, but ever since i downloaded it i have been unable to play online. Is anyone else having this problem, and should i just uninstall the map pack? I got it fixed, it worked today.

This post has been edited by Beorning: Jan 15 2009, 23:13 PM

+
# 11Forlong Jan 16 2009, 03:05 AM
QUOTE(Beorning @ Jan 14 2009, 22:23 PM) *
Im not sure if this is related to the map pack, but ever since i downloaded it i have been unable to play online. Is anyone else having this problem, and should i just uninstall the map pack? I got it fixed, it worked today.

It shouldn't affect your ability to play online at all.

+
# 12Foxboy21 Jan 18 2009, 22:46 PM
im addicted to acting like a noob these looks great, im going to download them

+
# 13mvrx Jan 18 2009, 22:59 PM
QUOTE(BlackKnightofEa @ Jan 14 2009, 11:56 AM) *
I've played your maps Aarron, they're pretty fit tbh, use your skype channel to ;DI crashed on the 3v3v2 nand more than once way back when, when I only had 1Gig ram wacko.gif
No worries now though 4gigs ftw ;D

Yea - I'm also talking to Forlong , I'm gonna setup a couple dedicated free Skype channels for the u2.02 crowd. We have tons of people in our skype channels all day now. FYI, I'm bulding a new computer. Intel i7 @4.2ghz, 24GB of ram (yes really), dual 4850 X2.. I hope it's fast enough to play ROTWK.. (sarcasm).

QUOTE(Forlong @ Jan 14 2009, 20:11 PM) *
fyi, I just discovered OldForestBarrowDowns was made by Azrapse wink.gif

Ah ok. Yea I didn't modify that map at all. I just liked it so included it in the 4v4 map pack. I'll release a version 2 of the map pack in a couple months and likely add a few other nice maps from people. The other maps from Hendembar I modified, but got her permission. She really did amazing work. A true artist.
QUOTE(Beorning @ Jan 14 2009, 21:23 PM) *
No, the map pack modifies absolutely nothing in game files. It just copies the maps to your maps directory. My "AH's Tools" folder just has launchers and a script to eliminate having to keep your DVD in the drive to load the game.

I've been talking to Forlong about the next u2.02 release. Hopefully we are going to work out a combo release with my maps and a few other goodies for all of you. smile.gif

This post has been edited by mvrx: Jan 18 2009, 23:00 PM

+
# 14Foxboy21 Jan 19 2009, 02:46 AM
It took me a little longer then normal the first time i went online after the maps... that might be a coincidence.

+
# 15mvrx Jan 23 2009, 10:22 AM
QUOTE(Foxboy21 @ Jan 18 2009, 19:46 PM) *
It took me a little longer then normal the first time i went online after the maps... that might be a coincidence.

I'm pretty sure the first time you load up when there are new maps, ROTWK does an initial scan and creates some cache images. Probably what you experienced. Load your PC with as much ram as it has capacity for. It will make load times much faster and even help game play.

+
# 16isildudethegreatest Mar 17 2020, 16:59 PM
anybody still got this map pack?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)