Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

New maps layouts

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SilverBane May 20 2018, 20:11 PM
Hey guys, in my free time I've decided that I should once again make some maps. So if anyone has layout ideas, feel free to share them here. Use something like this:(it doesnt have to be as detailed or pretty, even paint can work)

Attached Image

Also, if you feel like it, suggest a location/design too.
The problem usually is that people are not happy with new maps layouts, so here at least we get the chance to discuss before putting effort in a map few will play. In this way I will be able to know better what people want & don't want in a map.
Another quick info on map size, udun is 400x400, tournament hills is 500x500. If you can suggest the size, number of players and placement of them, that would be great.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 2Atrimotion May 21 2018, 11:39 AM
I have a suggestion:
A remake of Miniriath without the Mist, with troll liairs instead of the wight liairs,
with a tavern in the center of the map and with a good and happy skin.
sth like that ye

+
# 3Fitton May 21 2018, 12:53 PM
I like that idea and maybe remove either the horizontal or vertical walls that divide the map up.

+
# 4SilverBane May 21 2018, 13:15 PM
I'm not going to further edit/reskin already existing maps, we have plenty of those already (fords of anduin, FoI shire skin, udun A IV, mirkwood mountains, tournament WH).
And let's be honest, 95% of games will still be played on FoI/udun. That's why I reskinned/edited those. Editing/reskinning other less popular maps is a waste of time.
But new maps have the potential to be interesting, and increase the diversity of the map pool (instead of 3 versions of the same map). For example, Brithombar ranks pretty high as the 3v3 map choice now. While almost no one plays the mirkwood mountains reskin (dagor) even though in my oppinion it looks dope.
Looking at rotwk, most people play Staddle/Wold, which are new maps, instead of rehearshing tourney hills. I like that.

+
# 5Michael Gladius May 24 2018, 03:14 AM
I have an idea for a water map (8 players)

Attached Image

The dark blue are lakes, the light blue are streams. The arrows show direction of flow for each individual course. All bodies of water are navigable, with bridges to allow infantry to cross over at choke points. The layout is such that the only direct routes across the map are by water. Land units must take indirect routes to traverse the map. The fact that all water is navigable means that ships can transport troops and provide fire support.

The brown rectangles are dockyards, the grey circles are towns, and the red triangles are signal fires/inns/outposts.

Any questions, just reply. wink.gif

+
# 6Michael Gladius May 24 2018, 03:19 AM
QUOTE(Atrimotion @ May 21 2018, 11:39 AM) *

I have a suggestion:
A remake of Miniriath without the Mist, with troll liairs instead of the wight liairs,
with a tavern in the center of the map and with a good and happy skin.
sth like that ye

I think the mist is worth keeping, if only to reduce vision range of AI. Definitely replace wight lairs, and add many more capture-able buildings, like in Celduin. Miniriath is supposed to be fairly densly populated, and a major trade route, so there ought to be lots of outposts and signal fires.

In fact, this re-skin could be the map with the greatest quantity and density of signal fires, period. That would set it apart from the others, as well as give players incentive to play a kind of capture-the-flag with signal fires.

+
# 7Michael Gladius May 24 2018, 03:22 AM
QUOTE(SilverBane @ May 21 2018, 13:15 PM) *

I'm not going to further edit/reskin already existing maps, we have plenty of those already (fords of anduin, FoI shire skin, udun A IV, mirkwood mountains, tournament WH).
And let's be honest, 95% of games will still be played on FoI/udun. That's why I reskinned/edited those. Editing/reskinning other less popular maps is a waste of time.
But new maps have the potential to be interesting, and increase the diversity of the map pool (instead of 3 versions of the same map). For example, Brithombar ranks pretty high as the 3v3 map choice now. While almost no one plays the mirkwood mountains reskin (dagor) even though in my oppinion it looks dope.
Looking at rotwk, most people play Staddle/Wold, which are new maps, instead of rehearshing tourney hills. I like that.

I've got a design for a Fords of Isen 3, which replaces the middle ford with a lake and dockyards, forcing players to either go around the perimeter or invest in ships.

As you may have guessed, I'm a sucker for naval combat, and would really like to see it get a proper meta-gameplay style. tongue.gif

+
# 8SilverBane May 27 2018, 23:45 PM
A new map, trollshaws. 2vs2.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You can get the map here if you like it:
http://bfme2.heavengames.com/downloads/sho...php?fileid=1243

This post has been edited by SilverBane: May 27 2018, 23:51 PM

+
# 9MauH˙R May 28 2018, 15:18 PM
Great layout and texturing. Only thing that I could criticize is the high tree density on the outer paths and in the bases, but maybe that's not as much of an issue in Bfme2 gameplay. You shouldve joined our map contest drol.gif

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 10Michael Gladius May 28 2018, 19:50 PM
QUOTE(SilverBane @ May 27 2018, 23:45 PM) *

A new map, trollshaws. 2vs2.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You can get the map here if you like it:
http://bfme2.heavengames.com/downloads/sho...php?fileid=1243

Very beautiful! I love the look of this game, and I can't imagine how good it would look in HD Edition.

Is this the only map you plan to develop? Would you still be interested in my 'Riverlands' template?

+
# 11SilverBane May 29 2018, 22:33 PM
Unfortunately that Riverlands template doesn't look playable, or even if it is, it would be a campfest. Ships are not meant to fight in rivers anyways, and people don't like using ships regardless. Water bodies are mostly cosmetic in this game, as seen below:

+
# 12SilverBane May 29 2018, 22:36 PM

A new 3vs3 map, Sea of Nurnen.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Link: http://bfme2.heavengames.com/downloads/sho...php?fileid=1244

+
# 13Michael Gladius May 29 2018, 22:54 PM
QUOTE(SilverBane @ May 29 2018, 22:33 PM) *

Unfortunately that Riverlands template doesn't look playable, or even if it is, it would be a campfest. Ships are not meant to fight in rivers anyways, and people don't like using ships regardless. Water bodies are mostly cosmetic in this game, as seen below:

The ability of the map to be a camp-fest would depend on how large the land plots are, IMHO. If each piece of land can only support 2-3 farms or lumber mills apiece, then players would have less reason to camp than in FoI2. In FoI2, each side of the river can easily hold 10+ farms without the players having to cross, and harassment is a core strategy.

All I've done is divide the plots further by adding more rivers, and then made them all navigable, rather than purely for looks. It's basically an archipelago map with the islands connected by bridges, like St. Petersburg or Venice. The biggest, and therefore most desirable, plots of land are in the center, as well as the inns/outposts/signal fires. The middle of the map is inherently more valuable.

The map doesn't have to be 4v4, either. Each corner is divided in 2, but if each half can only support 2 farms, then it'd become a 2v2 map.

The point of this map is to change the role ships play in the game. In another article, I've proposed a new meta-gameplay for ships: https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...owtopic=1002010.

This map is designed to allow naval units to be more than an amusement on the side. Players can still play without them, but if a player does choose to invest in them, then they can directly affect the battle between land units. By having lots of small islands, lots of deep channels, and lots of bridges, both land and sea units can get within reach of one another. Rather than fighting 2 separate wars, now they can both fight together. Make sense?

+
# 14SilverBane May 29 2018, 23:05 PM
Well, there's one tiny little problem with that. Ships cannot pass thru bridges, or if water is shallow enough for units to pass, then ship cannot sail there. In that topic you linked i mentioned developing a fishing ship system. Ive really done it and tested on evendim. That is pretty much all i can think of to make ships less ignored, otherwise there's no point in investing in ships. With fishing, you would get an eco boost and force the enemy to rush you on sea. But naval combat is definately a no-no on rivers in bfme2. Pathfinding and passability doesn't work like in aoe2.

+
# 15Michael Gladius May 30 2018, 01:01 AM
QUOTE(SilverBane @ May 29 2018, 23:05 PM) *

Well, there's one tiny little problem with that. Ships cannot pass thru bridges, or if water is shallow enough for units to pass, then ship cannot sail there. In that topic you linked i mentioned developing a fishing ship system. Ive really done it and tested on evendim. That is pretty much all i can think of to make ships less ignored, otherwise there's no point in investing in ships. With fishing, you would get an eco boost and force the enemy to rush you on sea. But naval combat is definately a no-no on rivers in bfme2. Pathfinding and passability doesn't work like in aoe2.

I actually ditched the fishing boats idea further down the discussion. My hope was to develop 2 classes of ships: light & heavy. The light ships would be able to sail into 'shallow' water, including water where units could walk through. Heavy ships would be limited to 'deep' water. Light ships could access both shallow and deep.

Since that's beyond the scope of this map, what if the bridges were elevated? i.e., the ends of the bridges are on little knolls or hillocks that raise them 10-20 feet higher than they would be otherwise? The rivers could simply be 'ocean' water, with their waves following the directions of the current, and the elevated bridges would leave a gap beneath then for the ships to sail under.

P.S.- Sea of Nurnen looks really beautiful! Very lush and southern, almost tropical. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Michael Gladius: May 30 2018, 01:32 AM

+
# 16Se˝orEcthelion May 30 2018, 01:48 AM
looks like a african or indian jungle, good design for south harad boys.

+
# 17Fitton May 30 2018, 06:15 AM
That 3v3 map looks nice!

+
# 18Michael Gladius Jun 5 2018, 12:22 PM
QUOTE(Fitton @ May 30 2018, 06:15 AM) *

That 3v3 map looks nice!

It really does! biggrin.gif

I notice there are a lot of mesas and terracing in the non-accessible parts of the map. I'd love to see some maps with terrace farming, and possibly some pathing patterns to be affected by this...?

+
# 19SilverBane Jun 29 2018, 15:28 PM
Hey there,
Today i present you The Crossroads, a new 2v2 map (the crossroads were the meeting point of the roads minas tirith - minas morgul and harad- black gate)
This map is basically a remake of udun, having same dimensions and proportions, but still a different design, and no big middle hill. It sacrifices some artistic freedoom and aesthetics for gameplay, but hey, thats what people want. (no big trees around crossroads, and not a heavily forested map like it should be, but u can still see the king's head near signal fire biggrin.gif)
A slightly different offset for starting location allows dwarf builder to go unseen on side too (on udun you could but sometimes the enemy would see you) and possibly build a hidden mine there. OP dwarf.
Heres some pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also, I have recieved several suggestions about adding this one in the 2v2 tourney map pool, so im going to do that after some more testing
Here is a download link.

This post has been edited by SilverBane: Jun 29 2018, 16:27 PM

+
# 20TheRanger_ Jun 29 2018, 19:01 PM
Very lovely map, master SilverBane. It would be great to have more trees like you said for greater aesthetic design, but sadly not. That's why I believe the first BFME maps are the most pleasing of all three games, you can create as many trees, hills, or creative obstacles for great designs without hindering the gameplay.

Missed you in the map tournament, perhaps we'll see you in the next though! Again, awesome work. thum.gif

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)