Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

On & Off host

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Platino Aug 3 2021, 16:34 PM
We all know that onhost is a big plus but many players confuse it with lag. Even a first year student knows that the connection is made up of: upload and download, so if the offhost has a bad connection, the game will suffer anyway! For many years it has been thought that if there is a fault of the host, nothing more wrong! The offhost also contributes with his shit connection! So get it in your head: if you have a shit connection, whether you are on or offhost, the game will suffer somewhat, and you may notice some lag even if you are offhost. So you with the shit connection, pay +5 Ä per month and buy a better connection, don't always blame the host! Not to mention those who have a bad connection and also go in streaming .. then, if they lag, they even say "you are the host" .. lol!

Clan: Divine

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Ab3r` Aug 6 2021, 09:48 AM
I don’t think you understand the problem, I’m sure someone will come along and explain the inherent lag in bfme, how gameranger connections work coupled with ping and poor connection.

But don’t be fooled, you have one of the worst hosts in the game Plat xd

+
# 3Platino Aug 7 2021, 08:35 AM
QUOTE(Ab3r` @ Aug 6 2021, 09:48 AM) *

I donít think you understand the problem, Iím sure someone will come along and explain the inherent lag in bfme, how gameranger connections work coupled with ping and poor connection.

But donít be fooled, you have one of the worst hosts in the game Plat xd

Strange, everyone says that my host is among the best, indeed perhaps the best. Then how can you tell if you've never entered my room? in fact you deserve a place on the podium, I never thought about it. I've never really seen you. Your attacking always shows that you don't want to solve problems but just tease like children like you do. Have you ever tried to make a constructive speech in your life? Then your speech is not related to my post. In fact, Aber, you have it all wrong. The administrator should be the wisest and most intelligent, but you are very far from these adjectives. Mr. "administrator". What a degradation.

+
# 4Ab3r` Aug 12 2021, 13:57 PM
Like I said there are a multitude of reasons for a poor connection, you have to take into account the in built delay in the game, obviously game ranger's peer to peer connection isn't ideal.

Don't get it twisted though, I'm currently working on trying to find a solution for the built in delay in all BFME games, but thanks for your kind words it really motivates me!

+
# 5Excalibur Aug 18 2021, 07:02 AM
Hey, I accidentally stumbled upon this topic so let me give you my own knowledge.

The off-host "lag" is something that forced many players abandon the game, including me. For such a micro intensive game, you really can't expect to have fun or a fair battle when most of your actions, in the best scenario, are delayed.

The host advantage is real. The host will not face delay, random freezes, glitches and so on because he is the "server" thus, having low ping or no ping at all. The off-host player can't have a better performance over the host. In the best scenario, he will have the same performance as the host. I think in BFME you can't achieve this due to the game and how the networking code is written so the off-host player will always face some kind of delay.

Obviously, you already know that when hosting a game, the host should not use any other applications that require an internet connection because it will mostly likely increase the latency of other players. But there are many unknown devices that run and consume your connection that you are not aware of. Most players don't even know what's installed on their computers. If your Antivirus starts scanning for updates then suddenly the off-host players will start to have greater delay and if the Antivirus starts downloading updates (because they are set to automatically download updates) then the player will face freezes, fast-forward scenes and so on. The miracle is that host is still quite unaffected but all the players are heavily affected.

Nowadays, there are also a lot of devices that use Wi-Fi so your internet connection is shared between all of them. Your parents, your sister, your brother may also use the phone, the tablet, the Smart TV for random internet uses while you are in-game. To sum up, anything that consumes the host's internet will have a great effect to all the players.

What happens though if an off-host player faces the issues above? Does it affect everyone?
The answer is no. If the host's connection is good (as good as it can be for BFME) the issues the off-host player has will affect him and himself only. The data between you and the server (the host) is not affected by other players in the game that have high pings. Thus, in a game with 4 players, as long as the host has a good connection, the other two players will face the regular delay that occurs in BFME and is not affected by the bad connection the last player has.

Then, there is always the distance between the players, the bad coding of the game itself, the third party softwares that allow you to host games such as Gameranger in this case, the settings on the router that most people don't even know how to set them and so on. You can't have control over those but at least you can have control of the things explained above.

Eventually, does the host has that great advantage? Regarding the connection yes but.. there's also the hardware. Back in the days when BFME2 was released it was a really hardware-hungry demanding game. Not to mention how easy was to make it all worse due how easy it was to get mass of troops in a single screen and in a short period of time. This is where the players have to understand the differences that occur between a bad connection and a weak hardware.

If there are 4 players in a game and one's player PC can't handle the requirements then the game will start running slow for everyone. This is common sense, the game can't run normally for some people and run at a slower pace for others. The game speed will be adjusted for all the players despite the fact that the rest players have no issues running the game. In an extreme battle where too many stuff are happening at once the game may freeze for everyone because one player's PC can not handle it. It's different from the freezes that occur due to lag where suddenly the game speeds up to compensate for the lost time. In the hardware case, the game will not speed up because it runs just as slow for everyone.

I am not some kind of a professional on this. It's only my personal experience with those stuff. Back in the days when I was on staff I remember that everyone always complained about the off-host experience and I can't blame them. As I said, it was the reason I abandoned the game. Thus, a project was launched to reduce the delay which had some great positive feedback. Ever since the fix was implemented in the newer patches. When I left the staff I realized the fix was removed but I never learnt why.

+
# 6Platino Aug 18 2021, 10:54 AM
QUOTE(Excalibur @ Aug 18 2021, 07:02 AM) *

Hey, I accidentally stumbled upon this topic so let me give you my own knowledge.

The off-host "lag" is something that forced many players abandon the game, including me. For such a micro intensive game, you really can't expect to have fun or a fair battle when most of your actions, in the best scenario, are delayed.

The host advantage is real. The host will not face delay, random freezes, glitches and so on because he is the "server" thus, having low ping or no ping at all. The off-host player can't have a better performance over the host. In the best scenario, he will have the same performance as the host. I think in BFME you can't achieve this due to the game and how the networking code is written so the off-host player will always face some kind of delay.

Obviously, you already know that when hosting a game, the host should not use any other applications that require an internet connection because it will mostly likely increase the latency of other players. But there are many unknown devices that run and consume your connection that you are not aware of. Most players don't even know what's installed on their computers. If your Antivirus starts scanning for updates then suddenly the off-host players will start to have greater delay and if the Antivirus starts downloading updates (because they are set to automatically download updates) then the player will face freezes, fast-forward scenes and so on. The miracle is that host is still quite unaffected but all the players are heavily affected.

Nowadays, there are also a lot of devices that use Wi-Fi so your internet connection is shared between all of them. Your parents, your sister, your brother may also use the phone, the tablet, the Smart TV for random internet uses while you are in-game. To sum up, anything that consumes the host's internet will have a great effect to all the players.

What happens though if an off-host player faces the issues above? Does it affect everyone?
The answer is no. If the host's connection is good (as good as it can be for BFME) the issues the off-host player has will affect him and himself only. The data between you and the server (the host) is not affected by other players in the game that have high pings. Thus, in a game with 4 players, as long as the host has a good connection, the other two players will face the regular delay that occurs in BFME and is not affected by the bad connection the last player has.

Then, there is always the distance between the players, the bad coding of the game itself, the third party softwares that allow you to host games such as Gameranger in this case, the settings on the router that most people don't even know how to set them and so on. You can't have control over those but at least you can have control of the things explained above.

Eventually, does the host has that great advantage? Regarding the connection yes but.. there's also the hardware. Back in the days when BFME2 was released it was a really hardware-hungry demanding game. Not to mention how easy was to make it all worse due how easy it was to get mass of troops in a single screen and in a short period of time. This is where the players have to understand the differences that occur between a bad connection and a weak hardware.

If there are 4 players in a game and one's player PC can't handle the requirements then the game will start running slow for everyone. This is common sense, the game can't run normally for some people and run at a slower pace for others. The game speed will be adjusted for all the players despite the fact that the rest players have no issues running the game. In an extreme battle where too many stuff are happening at once the game may freeze for everyone because one player's PC can not handle it. It's different from the freezes that occur due to lag where suddenly the game speeds up to compensate for the lost time. In the hardware case, the game will not speed up because it runs just as slow for everyone.

I am not some kind of a professional on this. It's only my personal experience with those stuff. Back in the days when I was on staff I remember that everyone always complained about the off-host experience and I can't blame them. As I said, it was the reason I abandoned the game. Thus, a project was launched to reduce the delay which had some great positive feedback. Ever since the fix was implemented in the newer patches. When I left the staff I realized the fix was removed but I never learnt why.

Hi buddy. BEAUTIFUL RESENT.

I agree of 99% of the things u say, but from my IT experience I can still tell you that a PC connected to the internet processes information and "uploads" it, if this happens late, when he does an action , this arrives late to the other player, regardless of whether he is on or offhost, so the other player is likely to have a delay and then a heavy packet of information all arriving at once, and it's not easy to control. I definitely think that 2 players with 2 very good connections can play better than 2 players of which one has a bad connection (the offhost). This is not to say that the onhost does not have advantages.

+
# 7Excalibur Aug 18 2021, 21:54 PM
In any case, one thing's for certain. That off-host thing killed the game and the reputation of it.
Even though I am not returning to the multiplayer experience, I hope something will be eventually done to fix this. It's a shame for such a masterpiece to be wasted like this.

Btw, good job for still sticking around and huge congrats to everyone for supporting and updating 2.02! smile.gif

+
# 8Platino Aug 25 2021, 22:52 PM
QUOTE(Excalibur @ Aug 18 2021, 21:54 PM) *

In any case, one thing's for certain. That off-host thing killed the game and the reputation of it.
Even though I am not returning to the multiplayer experience, I hope something will be eventually done to fix this. It's a shame for such a masterpiece to be wasted like this.

Btw, good job for still sticking around and huge congrats to everyone for supporting and updating 2.02! smile.gif

I agree smile.gif

+
# 9trucky Aug 29 2021, 16:41 PM
I still dont understand why people play on high graphics. It makes lag. Doesn't matter how good your PC is. Everyone should play on Very Low graphics settings.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 10Ab3r` Sep 1 2021, 09:01 AM
Having a state of the art computer is always a poor excuse, yes your computer shouldnít struggle to run a decade old game, but also the decade old game wasnít designed to be optimised on a futurist computer.

+
# 11Johann Tilly Sep 1 2021, 16:23 PM
I always played on "Ultra" Graphics Settings. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Johann Tilly: Sep 25 2021, 11:54 AM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 12Feanor Sep 2 2021, 05:20 AM
Singleplayer > ultra high bestest graphics
Multiplayer > shit brick graphics

Game: Graphics

+
# 13StrayHeart Sep 3 2021, 11:13 AM
QUOTE(trucky @ Aug 29 2021, 17:41 PM) *

I still dont understand why people play on high graphics. It makes lag. Doesn't matter how good your PC is. Everyone should play on Very Low graphics settings.

lol gfx settings have 0 influence on lag in multiplayer. all that has influence is connection quality between players and FPS drops which are mainly caused by all players controlling big armies and hitting mouse commands like crazy. have you ever tried making over 6 goblin batalions and sending them around using clicks spam (like most people do playing online)? try it.

+
# 14Ab3r` Sep 8 2021, 22:38 PM
QUOTE(Feanor @ Sep 2 2021, 06:20 AM) *

Singleplayer > ultra high bestest graphics
Multiplayer > shit brick graphics

Simple isn't it. Not like anyone plays this game for the state of the art graphics anyways.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)