Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

RaGe's pro tip of the week 5!

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1RaGe^ Feb 25 2018, 18:28 PM
Today i want to go into detail about scrolling, hotkeys, useless micro and the mysterious 'micro wasting'

I have said this before and will say it again. If you want to be the best you have to take a critical look at what you are doing and whether this is indeed the most efficient / effective you can be.

1. Scrolling and hotkeys

I dont know whether all of you guys do this but I always used to right click scroll across the map. Why did i do this? For the same reason i used hotkeys.

Most people will think using hotkeys is a nice efficient way to do other stuff without using your mouse. This is indeed the case but there is another slightly overlooked advantage that you create by doing this. 'What! What is it master Rage!?' i hear the knowledge hungry zero hour noobs scream in unknowing agony. The slight added extra advantage you get here is that you dont move your cursor from the middle of the screen. In the middle of the screen is where the magic happens, where you micro your units and where you should be focusing.
Anytime you are move your cursor down to click an icon in the icon bar you couldve been doing something else with your cursor instead like selecting units / buildings. Therefore you should know all hotkeys.

--> to make it easy I changed almost all my hotkeys for units to standard keys like S, D and F. Also upgrades in propaganda / strategy center and black market i changed to S, D and F. S would be my most used units / upgrade, D thereafter and so on. If you do this you dont even have to think anymore what because you always know S is the first thing you should do and D later. S would be search and destroy and D would be the money upgrade from the strat center, F would be the veterancy upgrade. Same with the black market and worker shoes / buggy upgrade and AP bullets. S, D and F.

Right click scrolling does the exact same, you can move your screen without having to move your cursor away from the middle of the screen. Therefore you're always quicker to the action and you gain an advantage. So when you know all hotkeys and you right click scroll you can always have your cursor in the middle and therefore are always to react quicker to whatever is happening.

2. Useless micro and micro wasting

'Useless micro, useless micro?! ITS ALL ABOUT MICRO RAGE WTF. I HAVE 300 APM* I WILL BASH YOU.'

Calm your tits. Hold your horses.

Even if you have the sickest micro you can still lose to someone who has half your micro if they make better decisions and focus their micro on more important tasks.

You basically only want to be focusing on things that will give you the highest chance of winning. This is something i had to actively push myself to do. Often you want to look at the pretty explosions you create by either your units or general abilities. But if you do this always ask yourself the question whether you're doing this because it is functional or because you just like to watch the pretty pictures. If its the latter its actually making you more likely to lose because you could be focusing on more important tasks on the battlefield.

The same goes for units that you know will certainly die and that you will keep microing / watching even though you know you cannot get anything functional out of the unit anymore. If you realise this go and micro something else and stop bothering about the unit because it will die anyway. (if you want to scrap deny gla units this is ofcourse a different case)

Another interesting thing is how you have to switch your micro focus late game. In GLA mirrors when you both have insane amounts of money it might be way more effective to focus on microing tunnel spam / market production than on microing a couple of buggies to perfection. Here also it is important to not do useless micro and focus on the most important task that gives youthe highest chance of winning

-- Micro wasting --
Everyone knows the annoying feeling of having to clear a gatling tank from behind a supply dock with usa. It costs you alot of micro because you have to position your humvee very well in order to make it shoot and not letting it run straight into the gat. There is a clear micro mismatch here for the china and USA player. Basically what you always want to be doing is trying to 'steal' micro from your opponent. The gatling tank is an easy example but there is many many more if you look for them in zero hour. Even when your unit might not kill something anymore in the enemy base it can be great for stealing your enemies micro. So think about your own play and where you can improve by stealing micro from your opponent. One of the best examples of micro stealing with minimal effort is sending random terrorists to the infantry base. They cost immense amounts of micro to not run your outposts into them and to kite the exact distance in order to kill the terrorists. For the GLA player however it is supereasy to just waypoint terrorists into the enemy base and hardly bother about them. At 200 each and with the very little experience points they give it would be stupid not to do this.

In the above example its easy to see how you could be half the APM of your enemy but if you dont do useless micro and micro waste your enemy to death you might easily level the playing field and win smile.gif

ALRIGHT END OF LESSON. Off to bed now my young zero hour expert wannabes. And remember, right click scroll, eat your veggies, use all the hotkeys, dont do useless micro and micro waste your enemies to death.

Ciao ciao

* APM = actions per minute

Twitter Image
Discord Image

+
# 2Ka$$aD Feb 25 2018, 18:42 PM
RaGe’s pro tip of the week #1
RaGe’s pro tip of the week #2
RaGe’s pro tip of the week #3
RaGe’s pro tip of the week #4

Much wisdom. Big pro. bowdown.gif

Always wanted to change my hotkeys but I am too lazy to learn the new ones.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3bAnAcA6^ Feb 25 2018, 18:48 PM
[quote name='RaGe^' date='Feb 25 2018, 18:28 PM' post='10114499']

One of the best examples of micro stealing with minimal effort is sending random terrorists to the infantry base. They cost immense amounts of micro to not run your outposts into them and to kite the exact distance in order to kill the terrorists. For the GLA player however it is supereasy to just waypoint terrorists into the enemy base and hardly bother about them. At 200 each and with the very little experience points they give it would be stupid not to do this.

Or when USA vs Tox, sending an ambulance cause toxin tunnels cant attack ambulance. U can just run over his workers, and keep him a bit busy

Clan: Master of Death

+
# 4-ExiLe` Feb 25 2018, 19:19 PM

QUOTE(RaGe^ @ Feb 25 2018, 18:28 PM) *

One of the best examples of micro stealing with minimal effort is sending random terrorists to the infantry base. They cost immense amounts of micro to not run your outposts into them and to kite the exact distance in order to kill the terrorists. For the GLA player however it is supereasy to just waypoint terrorists into the enemy base and hardly bother about them. At 200 each and with the very little experience points they give it would be stupid not to do this.

Or when USA vs Tox, sending an ambulance cause toxin tunnels cant attack ambulance. U can just run over his workers, and keep him a bit busy

and waypoint it in circles around the supply with a hellfire drone so you can focus on other things if techs are chasing it

+
# 5HaWkY^ Feb 25 2018, 19:41 PM
Didn't read but I assume it's shit.

I want to know this though

If you're quiet at work do you ever just go outside and push someone off their bike or push someone in front of a bus so you have someone to operate on?

Clan: -MaD|

+
# 6uNDeSiReDLoGiN Feb 25 2018, 19:53 PM
Nice tips
Additionally I think Alt-pathing things like techs is a great example of micro wasting.
For instance, set an alt-path for a tech to be getting worker crushes and it will be very micro intesive for your enemy to clear up and it will also appear that you are microing that tech in real time leaving you time to be harassing other areas or focussing on your macro
Edit:/
Oh my bad, I should read all replys. You guys just basically said this ^^

This post has been edited by uNDeSiReDLoGiN: Feb 25 2018, 19:56 PM

+
# 7scuba Feb 25 2018, 22:55 PM
QUOTE(HaWkY^ @ Feb 25 2018, 20:41 PM) *

If you're quiet at work do you ever just go outside and push someone off their bike or push someone in front of a bus so you have someone to operate on?

Found this a much more interesting read than the actual tip.

I use about 2 hotkeys, manually click for everything else, and I only number WF/Rax/AF & air units.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 8RaGe^ Feb 26 2018, 00:20 AM
QUOTE(scuba @ Feb 25 2018, 22:55 PM) *

Found this a much more interesting read than the actual tip.

I use about 2 hotkeys, manually click for everything else, and I only number WF/Rax/AF & air units.

lol, this is a quite funny response

+
# 9-aka-JRisUber- Feb 26 2018, 03:27 AM
These tips are great and all but we would rather see rage play!

Game: Battlefield 1943

+
# 10HaWkY^ Feb 26 2018, 10:34 AM
QUOTE(RaGe^ @ Feb 26 2018, 01:20 AM) *

lol, this is a quite funny response

Is that a yes?

+
# 11-NoRMaN- Feb 26 2018, 11:14 AM
QUOTE(-aka-JRisUber- @ Feb 26 2018, 05:27 AM) *

These tips are great and all but we would rather see rage play!

+1

Clan: Shield

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 12Opsnyder Feb 26 2018, 13:30 PM
Funny how my hotkey settings are almost identical to yours. I use S, D and F as well but F is for my main units and upgrades instead of S.

+
# 13Leikeze Feb 26 2018, 14:12 PM
It is very difficult to look away from all those pretty explosions, especially in long 2v2v2's.

Game: contributorprofiles

+
# 14RaGe^ Feb 26 2018, 15:00 PM
QUOTE(Opsnyder @ Feb 26 2018, 13:30 PM) *

Funny how my hotkey settings are almost identical to yours. I use S, D and F as well but F is for my main units and upgrades instead of S.

hehe yeah if you play with the numbers on the left of the keyboard it makes sense. i always call wf 1, rax 2 and my forward unit 3, chinook for drops 5 and md's therein 4.

+
# 15Jundiyy Feb 26 2018, 16:01 PM
QUOTE(RaGe^ @ Feb 26 2018, 15:00 PM) *

hehe yeah if you play with the numbers on the left of the keyboard it makes sense. i always call wf 1, rax 2 and my forward unit 3, chinook for drops 5 and md's therein 4.

I have a really random number sorting but I have had most of it from day one, going back to 2003. My numbers change at times depending on the situation.
Attacking units as 1, perhaps 2 as well if there are 2 teams (attacking from 2 sides) or sometimes MD's. Sometimes 3 if I have a variety or too many. (Depends on what army I have and where in the game I am).
Early drops 1, dozers/wrokers at the start as 1/2 and after to 5 (scrap deny) unless it's used by a 2nd Arms Dealer then 4.
Air Units starting at usually 3, sometimes 2 if I haven't used it. (Beginning of the game)
6 = War Factory, 7 = Barracks
5 = AirField/2nd War Factory then 4 = Airfield
8 = 2nd Barracks
9 and 0 = Air units as the game moves on if I use 3/4 for other buildings/attacking units.

+
# 16MrX Feb 26 2018, 16:15 PM
QUOTE(RaGe^ @ Feb 25 2018, 19:28 PM) *

Even if you have the sickest micro you can still lose to someone who has half your micro if they make better decisions and focus their micro on more important tasks.

Good tip in total. Especially the better decision making and focusing on the important actions made me win tons of games where my opponent had a better micro than me. Experience and thinking pays off in ZH.

+
# 17HaWkY^ Feb 26 2018, 16:23 PM
QUOTE(MrX @ Feb 26 2018, 17:15 PM) *

Good tip in total. Especially the better decision making and focusing on the important actions made me win tons of games where my opponent had a better micro than me. Experience and thinking pays off in ZH.

This is true.

I'm too lazy to fully concentrate enough to be bothered to try my best at microing so instead I use my knowledge and experience into winning.

I usually win when my opponent presses accept.

+
# 18-HerB- Apr 11 2018, 15:23 PM
can't you play ZH just on weekends rage? or do you have shitty night shift like me? tongue.gif

+
# 19xezon Apr 11 2018, 18:25 PM
QUOTE(HaWkY^ @ Feb 25 2018, 21:41 PM) *

Brah. Has been a while you made a funny post.

+
# 20Leikeze Apr 11 2018, 23:51 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Apr 11 2018, 13:25 PM) *

Brah. Has been a while you made a funny post.

His suspension was for having too much fun.

Game: contributorprofiles

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)