Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

Revamping naval combat

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Michael Gladius Aug 9 2017, 01:58 AM
Naval combat wasn't very good in BFME2, and I think that's a shame. Naval combat opens up a whole new realm of gameplay types: amphibious landings, island-hopping, snatching remote gold mines on islands...

I've developed a new model for ships. What do you guys think? I'm open for new ideas as well.

Fishing boat: works like a lumber mill
Transport ship: can carry 3 units

Interceptor: fast ship, can be garrisoned with archers for extra damage
Battleship: slower than an interceptor, but has same attack/damage stats and can also be garrisoned with archers for increased damage. Also has a ram attack.
Siege ship: uses siege weapons.

Armor, damage, and healing abilities are retained from the first game. Arrows can be upgraded to fire/silverthorn arrows if they are researched in forge/archery range. Same goes for siege weapons.

Elves should have the fastest ships. Dwarves should have the best ram attack. MoTW should have the best (unupgraded) arrow attack. Isengard should have the best armor for its ships. Mordor should have the best siege ships. Goblins should have the cheapest ships.

+
# 2SeñorEcthelion Aug 9 2017, 02:28 AM
good ideas but will you make different models for each factions? i doubt it.
You will be lacking from design since in tolkien world you barely have elf, numenor and umbar ships

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 3Michael Gladius Aug 9 2017, 02:53 AM
QUOTE(SeñorEcthelion @ Aug 9 2017, 02:28 AM) *

good ideas but will you make different models for each factions? i doubt it.
You will be lacking from design since in tolkien world you barely have elf, numenor and umbar ships

I have a few ideas, but I am a terrible artist. tongue.gif

For Elven ships, the swan motif still works, along with their leaf sail design
For Dwarves, an angular ship with lots of shields along the sides (like a viking ship) and a sharp prow would fit.
For MoTW, their ships will resemble Greco-Roman Triremes
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8pFHjX2GIWI/VVuO...640/1713700.png

For Isengard and the goblins, their ships will resemble the corsair ships, but with the Isengard/goblin styles of woodwork, respectively. Mordor will obviously keep the corsair ships.

+
# 4RanDoM'L0L Aug 12 2017, 16:51 PM
All out for more ships. Noticed lotta issues with them(retarded movements, unability to unload where I want to even onhost etc ..thanks EA xD).

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 5Michael Gladius Aug 26 2017, 04:01 AM
QUOTE(RanDoM'L0L @ Aug 12 2017, 16:51 PM) *

All out for more ships. Noticed lotta issues with them(retarded movements, unability to unload where I want to even onhost etc ..thanks EA xD).

How's this, then? biggrin.gif

Shipyards produce ships, heal ships like a well, decommission ships, and provide a 250 Command Point bonus.

Ships have similar stats to ents, particularly their vulnerability to fire and axes. There are 2 kinds of ships: light and heavy. Light ships can sail in both shallow water and deep water, while heavy ships can only sail in deep water. Shallow water can be fordable, but not necessarily at every point on the river or lake. Melee units in a ford can still attack ships. Deep water is self-explanatory.

Types of Ships:

Transport Ship (light): can carry up to 3 units
Interceptor (light): small, fast, has an arrow attack, and can be garrisoned with archers like a tower.

Battleship (heavy): large warship, has identical arrow attack as interceptor, and can also be garrisoned with archers. Slower than interceptor, but has a special ramming attack that causes meta damage.
Bombard ship (heavy): Carries faction-specific siege equipment, slow, has greater range than arrow attack. Can be garrisoned with archers.

Possible upgrades:
Up to 2 upgrades can be chosen, selection is similar to battlewagon. Not every upgrade will be available to every class of ship.

Speed
Armor
Health Regeneration
Fire/Silverthorn arrows & flame munitions for bombard ships
Attack speed
Resistance to fire damage
Flagship: can provide leadership bonus for both land and naval units

I also developed a new map for naval gameplay. The Map is called Riverlands, or can be Gladden Fields after it was resettled following the Battle of the Five Armies. The green is solid ground, the light blue is shallow water with fords (passable to light ships and land units only), while the dark blue is deep water (passable by naval units only). Arrows show direction of flow. Grey is a town, red is another building that can be captured (inn, signal fire, etc.), and brown is the location of a shipyard. Notice that only ships can travel directly towards an enemy base in a straight line, while melee units must take an indirect/oblique route.

Attached Image

Existing maps can also be modified. Fords of Isen, Fangorn, Osgiliath, and Cair Andros all have rivers that can be modified to be either shallow water or deep water. Maps like Celduin can be modified to have larger volumes of water for naval battles, as well as several more dockyards to facilitate this. Light ships should make all waterways into infiltration routes, while open water should be exploitable.

I'd even suggest a design for Fords of Isen 3: replace the middle ford with a lake and two dockyards, like a ferry. Light ships can traverse the entire length of the river, but deep spots are entirely optional.

As for ship designs, here are some of my ideas:
Elves keep their design.
Dwarves get longships, like Vikings (and with hexagonal shields lining the sides)
MoTW look like triremes: Attached Image
Mordor Keeps Corsair Ships
Goblins get Dhaos, reskinned in their iconic woodwork: Attached Image
Isengard gets ships that are inspired by Venetian gunpowder-era ships:Attached Image

+
# 6Maru Aug 26 2017, 12:58 PM
IPB Image

Clan: New Generation

+
# 7Michael Gladius Aug 26 2017, 14:32 PM
QUOTE(Maru @ Aug 26 2017, 12:58 PM) *

IPB Image

I'm glad you like it. wink.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention: every type of naval attack does not have tracking, in particular the arrows. They're as capable of missing each other as hobbits' rocks.

+
# 8SilverBane Aug 26 2017, 17:57 PM
I've tried to make bunito implement fishing ships already, and it was a fail. I would like to have useful ships. Good luck

+
# 9Maru Aug 26 2017, 20:48 PM
QUOTE(Michael Gladius @ Aug 26 2017, 15:32 PM) *

I'm glad you like it. wink.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention: every type of naval attack does not have tracking, in particular the arrows. They're as capable of missing each other as hobbits' rocks.

Welcome!

Clan: New Generation

+
# 10Michael Gladius Aug 31 2017, 21:32 PM
QUOTE(Maru @ Aug 26 2017, 20:48 PM) *

Welcome!

Thank you! Now I just need the guys who actually work on the mod to see it. I'm not on the team. tongue.gif

Plus, my version of map maker doesn't work anymore. :'(

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)