Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

So who's really the numero uno...?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1QuikSilwer Jun 7 2018, 20:57 PM
With regard to Jens's recent TOP 10 PLAYERS LIST post, sparking an evergreen wiener-measuring debate among regulars, a logical question arises as how to prove who deserves to be higher on the list and who belongs lower.

So, who's actually got the biggest wiener in Middle-earth? Well, there is a very simple solution, we can all meet up somewhere in a pub, pull down the pants and find out. Elegant, accurate, yet logistically impossible to carry out since not everyone can afford a flight ticket (some people can't even afford a new keyboard).

What else is there? Well, we can rely on the conventional ways, like clanwars or a single day tournament. However both of these methods have a significant flaw. Due to imperfection of the ladder algorhytm, winning gold in clanwars does not make you the best player of the month. Usually it just means you've spammed loads of games and probably dodged the elite guys (Ecthelion was unable to find an opponent on the last day of May). As for single day tournaments, they're attractive to watch, but there's always someone from the top missing, as a result of which the whole event loses its prestige.

So how to throw a party which provides us with accurate results and at the same time makes sure all the big shots participate? I might have a solution...

A seven-day tournament
Let's say we get 16 guys. We split them into four groups of four. Each guy in a group plays two matches (once onhost and once offhost) against all other dudes, so each guy plays altogether six times. Once all matches have been played, first and second advance to quarterfinals. So far completely standard, right? OK, here comes the important part: the whole tournament takes 7 days, starting on Monday, and all matches have arranged times. You contact a guy from your group and arrange a suitable time (till Thursday) for your games with him. If your opponent does not show up (which ofc happens), he gets a yellow card. If he does not show up for the second arranged time either, he gets a red card which means you've won both games. Quarterfinals, semifinals and finals follow the standard bracket tournament system.

This way we ensure everyone gets a second chance to show up for their games in case something screws up their schedule. Players are divided to the groups according to their seeding to make sure Otto, Randy, Apmn and Bunito don't end up in one group. If we get more than 16 people, groups may consist of more than 4 guys.

IPB Image

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 2StrayHeart Jun 7 2018, 21:38 PM
IPB Image

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3Fitton Jun 7 2018, 23:47 PM
It’s a nice idea. Simple and I see no major problems. thumb.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 4SeñorEcthelion Jun 8 2018, 03:29 AM
Definetively not something new, and i remember some tourney of 1-2 weeks that we never played the final tongue.gif
Ofc, i always prefer this than single day tourneys that drain your Sunday.

Point is, go ahead, you don't even need to ask. Start picking up peoples and let's see if the yellow card and red card thing does actually happen and game gets at least 70% of games played. Will you take over of this? because Fitton can't =D

This post has been edited by SeñorEcthelion: Jun 8 2018, 12:59 PM

+
# 5Apmn Jun 8 2018, 09:20 AM
I'm in

+
# 6Menjiiii Jun 8 2018, 15:01 PM
Playing all games on neutral host would also be a good idea.

+
# 7SeñorEcthelion Jun 8 2018, 16:38 PM
yes!

+
# 8QuikSilwer Jun 8 2018, 20:01 PM
QUOTE(SeñorEcthelion @ Jun 8 2018, 03:29 AM) *

Will you take over of this? because Fitton can't =D

I'll manage the organisational stuff, sure, but I might use a helping hand with promotion of the event, we need all the top guys in, otherwise there's no point in hosting it.

+
# 9SeñorEcthelion Jun 8 2018, 23:15 PM
Your friend Xelenos might help =D

+
# 10QuikSilwer Jun 9 2018, 07:04 AM
QUOTE(SeñorEcthelion @ Jun 8 2018, 23:15 PM) *

Your friend Xelenos might help =D

Ah yes, our not-so-mentally-stable frenchie... is his little renegade group still alive?

This post has been edited by QuikSilwer: Jun 9 2018, 07:11 AM

+
# 11THE GLUTEMASTER Jun 9 2018, 11:50 AM
I am in.
ID:5117306
Name: THE_GLUTEMASTER

The sooner we can get started the better for me.

+
# 12QuikSilwer Jun 9 2018, 20:08 PM
Alright, it's on. Time to sign up, gentlemen.

https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...owtopic=1013647

+
# 13D4HITM4N Jun 11 2018, 07:10 AM
I'd suggest you to get Alpha/death God/silverbane/fitton/temptito to play instead of me, for i think all of them are overall much better than me.
I'll be in gameranger every evening from 7 to 11 pm to advertise and gather players questions anyway.

+
# 14D4HITM4N Jun 11 2018, 07:17 AM
Woeps, wrong thread tongue.gif

+
# 15SN0WBL4CK Jun 11 2018, 10:34 AM
Well i like the idea of the new tourney and i will sign up. However this will not decide on who is the best any more than those other ways. This is the same thing as Football world cup or the Champions league.

Numbers 1 and 2 of each groups will play each other. However they will not play against every single number 1 and 2 from all the other groups.

Another thing is that you need to know in advance who top4 is to make 4 groups and i don't think top 4 is that clear at all. I would argue that halet, casper, scorp and scarecrow are not much worse if at all than the 4 players you named(bunito, otto, randy and apmn)

In my opinion Jens got number 1 exactly right. numbers 2-8 are debatable in which order they should be. But i think the fact that over half of all players who were asked put bunito on number 1 says way more than winning a single tourney in which you dont face every single top 10 player.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 16QuikSilwer Jun 12 2018, 20:13 PM
QUOTE(D4HITM4N @ Jun 11 2018, 07:10 AM) *

I'd suggest you to get Alpha/death God/silverbane/fitton/temptito to play instead of me, for i think all of them are overall much better than me.
I'll be in gameranger every evening from 7 to 11 pm to advertise and gather players questions anyway.

It's open for all, the more people taking part in the better for everyone.

+
# 17QuikSilwer Jun 12 2018, 20:37 PM
QUOTE(SN0WBL4CK @ Jun 11 2018, 10:34 AM) *

Well i like the idea of the new tourney and i will sign up. However this will not decide on who is the best any more than those other ways. This is the same thing as Football world cup or the Champions league.

Who was the the best team of Champs league? Real. Who won the Champs league? Real. Behold my flawless logic.

Numbers 1 and 2 of each groups will play each other. However they will not play against every single number 1 and 2 from all the other groups.

We might replace the quarterfinals with another group as a next stage after the basic groups, with first two players from all four groups. They'd play each other once (due to time frame), which gives us - god of Maths, give me strength - 28 matches altogether for this stage of the tournament. Four players'd advance to semifinals. It'd provide us with more accurate results, however I don't believe it's realistic.

Another thing is that you need to know in advance who top4 is to make 4 groups and i don't think top 4 is that clear at all. I would argue that halet, casper, scorp and scarecrow are not much worse if at all than the 4 players you named(bunito, otto, randy and apmn)

In my opinion Jens got number 1 exactly right. numbers 2-8 are debatable in which order they should be. But i think the fact that over half of all players who were asked put bunito on number 1 says way more than winning a single tourney in which you dont face every single top 10 player.

I agree, ranking 2-10 is disputable, to say the least. Therefore it doesn't really matter who goes to which group, does it? wink.gif

+
# 18SN0WBL4CK Jun 13 2018, 12:35 PM

Who was the the best team of Champs league? Real. Who won the Champs league? Real. Behold my flawless logic.

True, but second best was liverpool XD? 3rd/4th best was Roma?

I agree, ranking 2-10 is disputable, to say the least. Therefore it doesn't really matter who goes to which group, does it? wink.gif

Actually it does matter because its not the battle of only 10 players. So one group will be op as fuck with anyone being able to progress and one group will be shit with clear nr1 and 2.

But all of it doesn't matter because there is no accurate, realistic way to find out the best player.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)