Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

Supreme Commander 2 *with image*

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1DarthSidious May 5 2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry if this has been posted...

"If I start the game and in the first 60 seconds I build a tank, I want that tank to deliver the killing blow to my opponent 35 minutes to 90 minutes later" That's Chris Taylor's goal for Supreme Commander 2. It's completely counter to the philosophy of both the beloved Total Annihalation and the mighty Supreme Commander. Both strategy games revolved around a stark stratification of combat power. Tech 1 bots were tiny gnats next to the state of the art you'd be churning out half an hour into a match. But Chris and his team are fresh from their success with Demigod, the small-scale strategy/RPG hybrid (reviewed on page 84) where hero units level up and buy equipment on the battlefield. It's a safe bet that we'll see Supreme Commander's Veterancy system explanded in which units become stronger as they score more kills, but thats not all. Their objective, Chris says, is to ensure that "every one of them has the ability to sustain themselves throughout the entire game, so we need each of them to be much more complex and have amny facets." Elsewhere though, Supreme Commander is getting simpler. In the first game it was as challenging to set up a functioning economy as it was to win a given skirmish. Now, Gas Powered Games have decided to "take the economy management off the table... You'll be able to play this like any other RTS," Chris says, worryingly. It wasn't always fun to deal with crashing mass in SupCom but that challenge was half the game. Even Chris sounds upset about it; "The nerd in me died a little bit," he confesses, [someone] said, "That's OK Chris, because more people are going to have fun with the combat aspect of the game and not get bogged down in the economic management," It was an expressive [something]. Bizarrely, Gas Powered Games have chosen to partner with Final Fantasy creators Square Enix for the sequel. Chris says this is part of the push to give Supreme Commander more character. "We're going away from iconographic units to a living, breathing RTS game - Squaer Enix has this unbelievable [resource?] for creating stories and characters and they're experts at this." Hard details are currently too scarce to get a clear idea of where Chris and his team are going with this, but it's already clear that SupCom 2 is going to be a very different game. It'll still have hundreds of units on screen though and as a final deal-sweetener, Chris promises "spectacular visual change" that'll run well on a 500 PC."

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Togra May 6 2009, 08:18 AM
Has been posted on SupCom portal frontpage but not in this forum yet. smile.gif

Looking good, I can get my hands on the article tomorrow probably, maybe I'll try to get a better scan of that screenshot. Also, perhaps the PCG UK podcast (out today or tomorrow) will discuss the game as well.

This post has been edited by Togra: May 6 2009, 08:19 AM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3mikkerthebhu1 May 6 2009, 21:06 PM
I really look forward to Supcom 2. Will for sure get a lot of players back into the game. To be honest, I hope they change as little as posible cause i really like the game at it's current state. It will be really stupid of them to make this game into a half rts and half fantasy. It scares me that they will put more effort into the level system. There is absolutely no reason to let a little tier 1 tank be able to do any kind of harm to any higher tier unit. Dosn't matter how many units it has killed. It just ruins the natural feel of the game.
Just as long it won't be another DoW 2 letdown. Supreme Commander 2 should still be the same as Supreme Commander when it comes to gameplay and major traits, but I have the feel that they will do the same as DoW 2. Too many changes that will completely destroy the feel of Supreme Commander. Big armies and big battles is what we wan't, not some stupid super hero striker that kills tier 3 units and kills commanders sad.gif! Stay original GPG! bowdown.gif

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 4Trithne May 16 2009, 01:41 AM
Yeah, looks like DoW2 to DoW1 all over again. So he wants more complexity in units so your 'first 60 seconds tank' can win the game for you an hour later, but he still wants hundreds of units on the screen? Unless there's some kind of horde of useless, uncontrollable - oh, Demigod. In spaaaaaaaaaaaace.

This post has been edited by Trithne: May 16 2009, 01:43 AM

+
# 5Ace22 May 21 2009, 02:15 AM
Yeah. Rook might have some problems in space. happy.gif

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 6Coldplay- May 25 2009, 21:21 PM
Supcom = DoW 1 , Forged alliance = Any DoW 1 expansion , Supcom 2 = DoW 2??!?!?!?!?!??!
i mean wtf Forged Alliance is great just make the game a little more balanced and show that Setons trailer on TV and people will go wow!!! IMMA NICE LAZOR I NEED TO BUY AND FIRE MA LAZOR!!!

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 7Ace22 May 25 2009, 23:56 PM
Perhaps he's going to try to incorporate unit combination mechanisms and the like a la Perimeter, but more refined.

+
# 8Togra May 26 2009, 15:00 PM
QUOTE(Ace22 @ May 26 2009, 01:56 AM) *

Perhaps he's going to try to incorporate unit combination mechanisms and the like a la Perimeter, but more refined.

I wouldn't even be surprised about that since the SupCom energy shields had something Perimeter-like as well. smile.gif Maybe this time we will see some tidal waves or more involved terrain options.

+
# 9Togra May 29 2009, 11:39 AM
Btw, some new scans have popped up, this time from a PC Gamer US article, it's much more clear (and promising to say the least) than the PCG UK one.

Part 1
Part 2

+
# 10Mithror May 29 2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-su...commander/49801

And a (cgi) trailer smile.gif

+
# 11DarthSidious May 29 2009, 16:20 PM
QUOTE(Mithror @ May 29 2009, 06:52 AM) *

i was just going to post that!

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 12Automatic Jun 1 2009, 04:37 AM
looks like this game is being designed with nubcakes in mind, thats never good ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Automatic: Jun 1 2009, 04:37 AM

+
# 13TheBlackKnight Jun 2 2009, 12:01 PM
Did anyone else find that gigantic dinosaur worrisome?

Aeon seems to look more like the seraphim.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 14Togra Jun 3 2009, 05:56 AM
They aren't called Aeon anymore, just Illuminate now. Also, that dinousaur thing is Cybran Zilla, mixture of dinosaur DNA and Cybran Tech.

Gamespot and IGN both got previews up, it's going to be different but it sounds like a game I want to play.

+
# 15Trithne Jun 4 2009, 03:45 AM
...Taylor mentioned that thanks to some new flow field algorithms, up to 500,000 units could potentially be moved from one area on a map to another without collision issues or failing to move at all. The pathfinding issues from the previous Supreme Commander games, he sated, have been solved.

Good. Now implement that into Supcom 1.

+
# 16Crayfish Jun 4 2009, 08:49 AM
What are they doing?!?!
Fair enough, T.A - Supcom never quite competed with Starcraft / DOW etc.. but it got the following and the sales figures it did because it offered its own unique experience. If there now gonna try and force thier way onto the same crowded piece of turf that will soon also be occupied by the collosus Star Craft II, surely they will be pushed even further onto the margins...
This unit upgrade veterancy thing is nice, but it was already one of the features of Supcom (ACU pgrades) that could have been built upon. Why throw out all the great difining strengths of the series.. I mean look at the 'no rush' thing, that they brought in for the same people they are susposedly trying to go after with these changes, no body uses it, it was just a footnote..
Whatsmore, its not like they lost money on Supcom is it? I remember it being no.1 in the Virgin Megastores and HMV's for a time..
Im really sad to hear about these new directions. I guess the best thing to come from this is that Supcom will live on in its own right and not be made redundant by its sequel.

This post has been edited by Crayfish: Jun 4 2009, 08:50 AM

Game: Supreme Commander

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)