Explore GameReplays...

Dawn of War 3

The future of DOW3?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1dukejason Nov 28 2017, 19:43 PM
Hello all,

I am a moderator for the official Dawn of War 3 forum, and have jumped aboard GR as an editor in order to salvage this forum for our community. GR.org is the only website that I know of that has real replay support for DOW 3. I think its very important that all of us that are into this game, come together to help grow this forum,as well as help grow our community. I have some questions for the community on GR.

What changes or improvements would you like to see on this forum on GR?

What changes and improvements would you like to see for DOW 3?

What is your perspective as far as the direction DOW 3 is going in?

Please be civilized with your response. Thanks in advance for your feed back.u0udiablo.gif

This post has been edited by dukejason: Nov 28 2017, 23:30 PM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 2Spirit. Nov 28 2017, 21:21 PM
I dont know why forums in general have become so unpopular. Gr is a pretty damn nice website, i mean its well structured and looks pretty "professional"

Cant really tell why not more people are attracted to visit gr

The direction as far as where dow3 is going and its pespective? Hmm hard to tell they still need to make some balance tweaks, also this game needs more races before that happens we dont even need to talk about dow3 cause it will stay then with a low player base. Also the game needs more content, more units, more maps the devs need to surprise us with a big addon maybe even add 2 races at once and then but only then i see dow3 growing in players and popularity.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3dukejason Nov 28 2017, 23:40 PM
QUOTE(Spirit. @ Nov 28 2017, 17:21 PM) *

I dont know why forums in general have become so unpopular. Gr is a pretty damn nice website, i mean its well structured and looks pretty "professional"

The direction as far as where dow3 is going and its pespective? Hmm hard to tell they still need to make some balance tweaks, also this game needs more races before that happens we dont even need to talk about dow3 cause it will stay then with a low player base. Also the game needs more content, more units, more maps the devs need to surprise us with a big addon maybe even add 2 races at once and then but only then i see dow3 growing in players and popularity.

I want to focus on the folks that play. I am currently organizing a tournament for early 2018,we have a great broadcaster that is going to do twitch. I am going to update our portal at least once per month with any relevant news.

I thinks its very important to use the space on GR to meet up and play as well as to pick each others brain for strategy. Il do my part for a long term and help to support this community,but its important for other people to step up and create activity.

Its a pleasure to meet you Spirit.

+
# 4ScuttleShip Nov 28 2017, 23:54 PM
QUOTE(Spirit. @ Nov 28 2017, 21:21 PM) *

People prefer streams these days to get their content generally. It's easier and fun I guess. Would be interesting to see if they were to add multiple races at once though. Would be good to see the game growing again.

Equally a pleasure to meet you.

QUOTE(dukejason @ Nov 28 2017, 23:40 PM) *

I want to focus on the folks that play. I am currently organizing a tournament for early 2018,we have a great broadcaster that is going to do twitch. I am going to update our portal at least once per month with any relevant news.

I thinks its very important to use the space on GR to meet up and play as well as to pick each others brain for strategy. Il do my part for a long term and help to support this community,but its important for other people to step up and create activity.

Its a pleasure to meet you Spirit.

Interested to see where this tournament is going. Definitely an important space (of course I'd say that I'm from here) but honestly it really is important. I've learnt so much over the years from reading and commenting on posts here.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 5DaDokisinX Nov 29 2017, 05:03 AM
In my opinion, DoW3 needs more content, namely more races. Part of the appeal of playing 40k is playing YOUR race. Three races is too few for a 40k game. This decision would've made a bit more sense if Relic planned to release race DLC's semi-regularly like CA does with Total War, but this has clearly not been the case. Also, the lack of races to choose from in multiplayer is exacerbated by the fact that multiplayer is the only way to replay to game, as single player is really a 1-2 time experience. Maybe skimping on the multiplayer content would've made sense with a Dark Crusade/Total War style single player, but that is not there either.

I can tell you that I very much enjoy DoW3, but even I get tired of playing Space Marines (the only race that I like to play out of the three) every game. I am only playing them since they are the most similar to the Chaos Marines, which I am waiting everyday for.

Think of it this way: what if there was a MOBA game but with only 15-20 heroes to choose from? Even if the heroes are well implemented, designed, and function within a well-made game, many players I imagine would get bored of the game rather quickly. Not only cannot they not choose from a variety of heroes, but the will have probably they same match ups over and over. This type of gameplay is more niche and really only appeals to the hyper-competitive gamers, which is not DoW's main audience anymore (an older crowd) as well as increasingly not part of the strategy genre.

More races would do a lot to give Dawn of War it's identity as a 40k game as well as make the gameplay more fun and diverse. I can't really think of something else to revitalize Dawn of War except maybe some huge single player update/content (which is more unlikely/difficult to implement imo).

This post has been edited by DaDokisinX: Nov 29 2017, 05:28 AM

+
# 6VindicareX Nov 29 2017, 05:32 AM
we could all spam the forum boards with topics that people looking up balance forums might search - get on that search engine algorithm. It would require a concerted effort by many users here, but conceivable...

+
# 7GuruSkippy Nov 29 2017, 08:54 AM
QUOTE(dukejason @ Nov 28 2017, 21:43 PM) *

What changes or improvements would you like to see on this forum on GR?

Not sure what you can change to be honest.
The official forum is quiet too, only the same 20 people are writing.
And watching replays have lost a lot of interest for me, we have streams now, and I don't have enough time to watch replays anyway, especially when they are long.

A rework + new races.
I don't think new races will revive the game long enough. People just don't like this game.
But a rework alone won't work either imo.
Also, a good campaign with replayability. Dark crusade style (DOW2 campaign style would cost Relic way too much time and money to develop).

I think Relic really understimated the effect of removing squad leaders/squad weapon upgrades/sync kills/realistic covers, or adding a mario angelo, bubble shields, not even talking of the power core mode. Me too to be honest. I defended all this decisions at one point, but people just don't care.
Also, I think DOW3 is too hard for the majority of DOW players. It's extremely unforgiving. DOW1 had morale system + reinforce everywhere + low lethality, DOW2 had magical retreat button. DOW3 has only your skill (wich I like), and totally unnatural refund on death (wich I don't). But people don't like it. It's also one of the reasons why DOW3 has been accused to be a SC2 clone imo.

PS : this is what I think, I do not hold the Truth, no one does.

+
# 8Spirit. Nov 29 2017, 14:25 PM
If you want to focus on the folks that play then i am one of the right persons as i probably have the most games played in dow3 with about 3000 mp games. I dont think there is anyone with the same amount of games as i have, maybe only handfull of people, if all.

I will try to participate in every tourney to come no matter if its 1v1 or a teamgame tourney. I have not given up hope for dow3 just yet, but the devs need to do the main job to attract more people and make this game more alive not us players.

+
# 9Technique Nov 29 2017, 22:19 PM

I would like to see an expansion that adds more macro and moves away from the point capture style economy to something with a bit more depth.

That's for multiplayer anyway.
If they release an expansion without those things I'd still get it for the campaign.
Which I actually quite enjoyed in this game.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 10Carnevour Nov 30 2017, 21:14 PM
They should have removed the powercore mode from the game, its absolutely limiting. Also i noticed relic are really bad at designing maps.

+
# 11dukejason Nov 30 2017, 21:55 PM
QUOTE(Carnevour @ Nov 30 2017, 17:14 PM) *

They should have removed the powercore mode from the game, its absolutely limiting. Also i noticed relic are really bad at designing maps.

There are many people who enjoy power core, if you can pls try to stick to the topic, do you have any feed back as far as the future of our community on gr?

+
# 12Carnevour Dec 1 2017, 07:57 AM
QUOTE(dukejason @ Nov 30 2017, 21:55 PM) *

There are many people who enjoy power core, if you can pls try to stick to the topic, do you have any feed back as far as the future of our community on gr?

All 1000 of them? But im just shitposting. Sadly i dont really see anything that could save DoW3 from being a failure which pains me so much. I tried to play it and get into it but in the end i gave up because at least for me its boring.
I really tried to stay positive and enjoy it but alas it wasnt for me. It doesnt help that there is barely no content in the game, not even a spectator mode in 2k17?!

+
# 13dukejason Dec 1 2017, 20:19 PM
QUOTE(Carnevour @ Dec 1 2017, 03:57 AM) *

All 1000 of them? But im just shitposting. Sadly i dont really see anything that could save DoW3 from being a failure which pains me so much. I tried to play it and get into it but in the end i gave up because at least for me its boring.
I really tried to stay positive and enjoy it but alas it wasnt for me. It doesnt help that there is barely no content in the game, not even a spectator mode in 2k17?!

I totally understand what your saying, but what I want to do is focus on the people that are playing the game and have fun. But I can appreciate your view point.

+
# 14Spirit. Dec 22 2017, 07:07 AM
Will see what relic has in their pocket for us. In january we should know more about what they want to bring us in february. I would expect extra content to be released, balance changes and maybe but only maybe they will announce also a new race. All of that could actually bring players back and to bring new players and players that are waiting for extra races.

+
# 15VindicareX Dec 22 2017, 09:11 AM
Yes, the game is in dire need of content variety.

+
# 16Bolivar687 Jan 26 2018, 04:02 AM
Just keep linking Game Replays in your posts on the official forums, subreddits, Discord, or wherever else you discuss the game. I agree Replays might be outdated today but a more active section of the site for content like links to casts or embedded videos would help. There should be Game Replays channels on Twitch and YouTube, even if it's unofficially hosted by the community. A dedicated team of content producers like who are engaged with the game could do something like that.

It's worth mentioning the site just does not promote DoWIII content or updates at all. I talked to an admin (I think Toxic) about creating news updates for the Purge Tournament events when they started and offered to write them but nothing ever came of it. I don't even know if there was a post about the Endless War update.

I agree the game needs new races but the ones they developed were perhaps overdesigned, at least to the extent that it makes it burdensome to add a new race. The faction mechanics are really unique and omnipresent and together with 10-11 Elites a race, it's a lot to create, record, and, most importantly, balance. I agree though that if there ever was a post-launch support team, new races should have been at the very top of their to-do list in bold, since it's the biggest criticism of the game.

I'm tempering my expectations for just a few new Elites + maps + skins along with a balance patch like the Endless War update. Anything beyond that would be great. It seems like the unloaded all the extra content they had in the reserves with the Endless War update, so we'll see what we get. I'm not sure a rework is in the cards, since it would take a lot to reconcile it with the vanilla content.

There's just so many non-gameplay additions they need to make:
- Spectator Mode
- In-game voice chat
- Reconnect to match
- Toggle for statistics in replay - show how much resources each player has, population, number of resource points, and graphs showing swings in resources
- Online chat lobby
- More noticeable text chat placement and sounds, along with the ability to scroll through messages
- View the rest of the game tabs while matchmaking
- Add players met to Steam friends
- In-game player profile, not the browser that it's more likely using
- Swapping Elites & Doctrines do not display the full roster underneath your lobby playercard, you need to choose them from the sides
- Fast swap Elite Doctrines underneath the lobby playercard, so you don't need to switch into the Elite info page
- Change factions in quick-match lobbies
- Larger replay name slots, they're currently cut off if they're longer than one line
- Display full squad stats in Codex, not just each unit
- Custom paints enabled for more Eldar line units
- Display player pools for matchmaking for each playlist and the range of MMR for available players
- MMR

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 17Gorb Jan 30 2018, 14:04 PM
None of those are a "need". Those are things that you "want", and the problem is a lot of people are going to want different things. You may find a lot of agreement amongst fellow players on GR, but different communities are also going to have different general focuses.

Some want more races before any of the above.
Some want a complete gameplay overhaul before any of the above.
Some want more maps before any of the above.
Some want another campaign before any of the above.
Some want TLS 2.0 before any of the above.
And so on, and so forth.

Certainly, as an easy example, we've been over custom Eldar paint schemes before. Relic even posted about it. Adherence to the lore comes first, and "but what about previous games" is not an argument because it's about what GW allow now, and not what they allowed in 2008 or 2009.

+
# 18Bolivar687 Jan 30 2018, 23:49 PM
It's not a list of needs, it's a collection of non-design oversights big and small which together hinder the growth and retention of the game.

Adding new factions would obviously be the biggest thing but it's definitely a larger ask.

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 19Dullahan Jan 31 2018, 06:46 AM
Personally I don't really care for an observer mode for the purpose of tournament casting and shit. I want it so I can have 1v1 king of the hill lobbies where people can keep playing games back to back.

When they messed up the DoW2 lobby system it ruined that for me, used to host a lobby and have it fill up and just rotate players through. It was nice.

+
# 20Johann Tilly Jan 31 2018, 08:00 AM
Relic was in financhial and structural problems at that time, when they developed DoW III and COH II
First the Lead Designer and important developer behind the COH Series, Brian Wood, died in a car accident 2010.
And second Relic was in financial problems, because their owner and main firm Publisher THQ were struggling with surviving on the market, because they did bad marketing decisions. 2013 THQ sadly went bankrupt and RELIC was bought by SEGA, who had other intentions and orientations of strategy games than THQ. All because of that three problems, the Developers couldnt make/made DoW that good as it suppost to be and how they want it.

Its really a shame.

This post has been edited by Johann Tilly: Feb 1 2018, 14:22 PM

Clan: KoA|KnightsofArnor

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)