Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

The wrong method to calculate the best player.

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Platino Aug 9 2020, 13:00 PM
Have you ever seen a swimmer who is very good at the breaststroke style and not very good at the other styles? Can it be considered the best or "Pro"?

This way of thinking is taking place in this community.

We have several types of games: 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 FFA. Why the best is only the one who is "pro" in 1v1?
It happened to everybody to have trouble against very good 1v1 players but in 2v2 it was very easy to beat em.
The same thing can happen in FFA, 4v4 etc ... This way of thinking tends to make only 1v1 tournaments and to make players specialize only on that path.

The team game is very difficult, I have rarely seen players who are really good at collaborating in a team. Most players play 2v2 as if it were 1v1 + 1v1.

I remember the excellent team play of Turin and Dijnges and others in the distant past. Knowing how to manage 2 or more armies at the same time is more tactical than managing one, you have to understand how to help your partner in difficulty or who to double at the beginning or the choice of coordinated powers or the choice of armies ecc...

The current way of thinking has led players: "pro" in 1v1 and "decents" in 2v2 etc. But obviously for many it is enough to say "I beat you in 1v1" to show who is the strongest. Very wrong.

Well all this does not have much relevance for the game, but it is right to better evaluate team play that untill now was understimate

This post has been edited by Platino: Aug 9 2020, 13:08 PM

Clan: Divine

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Luke6193 Aug 9 2020, 13:31 PM
I agree to an extent, the problem is that its harder to reliably be able to tell how good someone is, the larger the game is.

So 1v1 is the only 'true' test of skill, there are slightly different skills and bits of knowledge necessary for team games, but in general, the best 1v1 players are the best team game players. There might be some minor arguments about if someone is slightly better than a player at 1v1, but not at 2v2, but generally, if you're a nub, you're a nub, and if you're unreal at 1v1, you're gonna be top level at 2v2 etc as well.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 3Platino Aug 10 2020, 00:40 AM
QUOTE(Luke6193 @ Aug 9 2020, 13:31 PM) *

I agree to an extent, the problem is that its harder to reliably be able to tell how good someone is, the larger the game is.

So 1v1 is the only 'true' test of skill, there are slightly different skills and bits of knowledge necessary for team games, but in general, the best 1v1 players are the best team game players. There might be some minor arguments about if someone is slightly better than a player at 1v1, but not at 2v2, but generally, if you're a nub, you're a nub, and if you're unreal at 1v1, you're gonna be top level at 2v2 etc as well.

"the best 1v1 players are the best team game players"

I dnt think so

PS how are u?

.. and welcome back smile.gif

Clan: Divine

+
# 4Luke6193 Aug 10 2020, 14:21 PM
QUOTE(Platino @ Aug 10 2020, 01:40 AM) *

I dnt think so

PS how are u?

Name me a player that was ever considered the best, or in the top tier of 1v1 players, but not a top team game player...

I'm very well thank you, how are you?

Thanks a lot smile.gif

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 5Shanks Aug 10 2020, 15:19 PM
QUOTE(Platino @ Aug 10 2020, 02:40 AM) *

I dnt think so

PS how are u?

Dont worry plat my bro. We will have a 2v2 tournament soon. I agree with you, being a great player in a 1v1 doesnít necessarily mean, that you are also a top player in 2v2. However while you have to rely on your ally in the 2v2s , you can only rely on yourself in 1v1s. If you are able to beat your opennent in a BO5/7/9 in many different match-ups , that proofs that you are the better player, since in the tournaments every game is being played on a neutral host and no one has any advantage over the other. Canít say the same about the 2v2s since the ally of yours has so much impact, that you canít carry a game in a 1v2 situation.

Clan: PIRATES

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)