Revealed Random
53.03% (35)
Unrevealed Random

Total Votes: 66
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Istari_ Dec 17 2016, 18:25 PM
QUOTE(DeeZ Daryl @ Oct 24 2016, 15:51 PM) *

The community's opinion has changed I guess, since a lot of old players have quit, and a lot of new players have appeared. Perhaps make a new poll about this topic? Or nah?

QUOTE(Excelsior @ Oct 24 2016, 15:53 PM) *

That'll be a third poll on this matter. Though it's the community's right to open a poll at any time. If you're keen, do so.

More than than a year has passed since this has been introduced and I guess it's time to evaluate this change ; so, do you think we should stick with it or get back to the old system?

This is in priority adressed to competitive play, but since this community is larger than that, everyone is free to vote. smile.gif

QUOTE(n00bAlexis @ Jan 8 2017, 11:13 AM) *
I voted incorrectly, change mine to RR

done
-Dani

This post has been edited by TheRingisHot: Jan 8 2017, 18:17 PM

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Muadd Dec 17 2016, 18:54 PM
Two versions that don't cause missmatch. I dont give a shit if enemy picks a army or uses revealed but i personally wanna play with unrevealed bcuz it adds so much more fun for me

Clan: GoF|

+
# 3Mako Dec 17 2016, 20:09 PM
Less random pls. So random revealed

+
# 4MikaStar` Dec 17 2016, 21:14 PM
Revealed random make no sense to me. Why should you pick random in that case?
I also agree with what someone said above, unrevealed random add more fun.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 5brabox Dec 17 2016, 21:15 PM
QUOTE(MikaStar` @ Dec 17 2016, 22:14 PM) *

Revealed random doesn't make sense to me. Why should you pick random in that case?

Because it'll give you a random faction. You know, like the name suggests.

+
# 6MikaStar` Dec 17 2016, 21:20 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ Dec 17 2016, 21:15 PM) *

Because it'll give you a random faction. You know, like the name suggests.

But not random anymore to the ennemy.
If random is revealed i would for sure take my best army, or the best counter of ennemy choice.
What is the purpose in a CW game with revealed random??

+
# 7Excelsior Dec 17 2016, 21:26 PM
QUOTE(MikaStar` @ Dec 17 2016, 21:20 PM) *

But not random anymore to the ennemy.
If random is revealed i would for sure take my best army, or the best counter of ennemy choice.
What is the purpose in a CW game with revealed random??

'Random' is primarily used to have a random faction chosen for you. The unrelevaled element was just a little extra (that wasn't absolutely necessary in my eyes). Dwarven gameplay used to rely heavily on this element, but that's a thing of the past now.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 8MikaStar` Dec 17 2016, 21:35 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Dec 17 2016, 21:26 PM) *

'Random' is primarily used to have a random faction chosen for you. The unrelevaled element was just a little extra (that wasn't absolutely necessary in my eyes). Dwarven gameplay used to rely heavily on this element, but that's a thing of the past now.

So you can now pick dwarf against every other faction without any worries with balance? Same for any other factions?
If you're saying the thruth then it's a great news, but i would still miss the old unrevealed random for the fun it gave to me haha. ( Was so full of stress to start a game vs an unknow faction ^^ )

+
# 9Istari_ Dec 17 2016, 21:59 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Dec 17 2016, 22:26 PM) *

Thing of the past?
Last month during cw, first time in history, I had sometimes to choose a faction just to avoid getting dwarves.

They are bare shit on buckland. Unplayable. I said it the first day I came, and I continue to say it months after.

Watched the changelogs, next patch won't change this.
Anyway how would you? They are playable on foi, so anything general you'd buff would make them closer to being op on foi.

+
# 10MauHúR Dec 17 2016, 22:28 PM
QUOTE(Istari_ @ Dec 17 2016, 21:59 PM) *

They are bare shit on buckland. Unplayable. I said it the first day I came, and I continue to say it months after.

Anyway how would you?

Dont play Buck. Maps often have more influence on balance than a patch.

+
# 11Istari_ Dec 17 2016, 22:43 PM
QUOTE(MauHúR @ Dec 17 2016, 23:28 PM) *

Actually, buck has to be the highest winrate of them all.
Udun and tournament anorien, the 2 maps that come the closest to the balance of buck, are even harder for dwarves because of the larger size of the map which sucks for slow units.

+
# 12Mako Dec 17 2016, 22:46 PM
QUOTE(Istari_ @ Dec 17 2016, 18:25 PM) *

This is in priority adressed to competitive play, but since this community is larger than that, everyone is free to vote. smile.gif

I repeat something i told last pool. Develpoers works on this patch and sometimes need opinion of community. But it doens't mean that if community wanna a thing we HAVE to follow his opinion. I can't acept (and i hope developers too) 50% to change this.

All good RTS has random revealed for toons of reasons that Mauhur posted in last topics/article and i can't add more than what he said.
Article
1st Topic discussion
2nd Topic discussion

You wrote "competitive play". Take a look of random in competitive games. This game has not much starts (compared SC2). Don't make a jump in the past! and don't limit more adding this feature.

I agree that this change can be reconsidered the effects to some faction and some powers.

QUOTE(Istari_ @ Dec 17 2016, 21:59 PM) *

Thing of the past?
Last month during cw, first time in history, I had sometimes to choose a faction just to avoid getting dwarves.

Anyway how would you? They are playable on foi, so anything general you'd buff would make them closer to being op on foi.

I consider Buckland a bad map. Too small. But people love it so np. Anyway we have to keep in mind that all competitive rts are based on 1v1! so if in foi2 it is fine i think that work is well done. We can't unbalance it to make more balance a 2v2 on a bad map.

A question mate. Do you are complaining of reveal random or of DW? I would try keeping separate two things.

Thx gl hf bushit dumb

This post has been edited by Mako: Dec 17 2016, 22:49 PM

+
# 13MauHúR Dec 17 2016, 22:51 PM
QUOTE(Istari_ @ Dec 17 2016, 22:43 PM) *

Actually, buck has to be the highest winrate of them all.
Udun and tournament anorien, the 2 maps that come the closest to the balance of buck, are even harder for dwarves because of the larger size of the map which sucks for slow units.

The natural layout of most 2v2 maps disadvantages Dwarves cause youre always forced to expand towards your opponents. There's no side lanes or safe places to creep nor any neutral buildings that'd be easy to turtle at. All the gameplay problems of Dwarves get multiplied.

Obviously hard to argue through winrates cause noone ever plays the more exotic maps like Tournament Rhudaur or Emyn Arnen, which are muuuch better for them and imo not a tad less fun to play. Also there's prolly 20 buck games for every Udun/Anorien game.

This post has been edited by MauHúR: Dec 17 2016, 22:55 PM

+
# 14Muadd Dec 17 2016, 23:19 PM
You cant say dont play buck lol. Its by far most loved and most popular 2v2 map. And ive to agree with istari. Dw is utterly shit in it. Its pretty much auto loose vs almost every faction if the skill levels are the same

+
# 15Mako Dec 17 2016, 23:25 PM
QUOTE(DogMatti @ Dec 17 2016, 23:19 PM) *

You cant say dont play buck lol. Its by far most loved and most popular 2v2 map. And ive to agree with istari. Dw is utterly shit in it. Its pretty much auto loose vs almost every faction if the skill levels are the same

We all agree with that. But isn't a problem of faction or of revealed/unrevealed topic.
It is a problem of the map.

+
# 16MauHúR Dec 17 2016, 23:34 PM
QUOTE(DogMatti @ Dec 17 2016, 23:19 PM) *

You cant say dont play buck lol.

I can, and you can keep playing it.

+
# 17Istari_ Dec 17 2016, 23:41 PM
@Mako : I read them all, you can actually read it yourself and see what I wrote so I don't have to repeat myself either.

I would gladly help the staff if I have the same, or more experience towards this specifically.
But I've found, any time I tried to, it's just so so hard to deal with a small community and only 2 or 3 people who have the power to make any decision in the end.

This change happened when there was literally zero competition. A whole dead year.
Clearly I'm thinking : "who the hell voted?" No offense but nobody cares if you see your opponent getting this faction in a 4v4, or this one in a TW, so obviously this change could pass so smoothly...

Now? It's not much better, but there was a good semi-month and some tournaments in the year, I've seen.
And some players everyday try to play the top quality of games possible.
And if it's not enough, think about the future. If you want one day to have great competition, this needs to be adressed before it happens, not during.

THIS, these 6-8-10 players that care about competitive play every single day and are your competitive promoters ; they're the original audience, and the nowadays one, of this change.

You shouldn't have voted, or will vote, if you aren't directly affected by this change.
Since it's a small community, everyone has responsabilities for the common good : goodwill and harmony.

+
# 18Plokite_Wolf Dec 18 2016, 07:28 AM
QUOTE(MauHúR @ Dec 17 2016, 23:28 PM) *

Only because most BFME players only ever use one map for each player number like scrubs. Anyone can be an "expert" in one map, true skill shows when you adapt to all environments like in all other RTS titles.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 19Excelsior Dec 18 2016, 10:08 AM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 18 2016, 07:28 AM) *

Only because most BFME players only ever use one map for each player number like scrubs. Anyone can be an "expert" in one map, true skill shows when you adapt to all environments like in all other RTS titles.

^ This.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 20brabox Dec 18 2016, 10:57 AM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 18 2016, 08:28 AM) *

edgy

Adapting to a limited amount of environments (e.g. a fixed map pool) isn't more impressive than adapting to on average 3-4 extra factions that RotWK has.

"true skill" has literally nothing to do with this, I'm sorry. I never see chess and go players using a different board. Nor do I hear tennis players complain the court is too dull.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)