Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Why did you fall in love with this game?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1ElectricIdol May 6 2018, 17:47 PM
I’ve played the game on and off since it’s release. I find it to be the best game I’ve ever played, from a pure enjoyment point of view. Sure there are infuriating things but on the whole, for a game so old, why do we stay loyal to it?

Personally I love the detail and the community itself that works to attract new players and support players in general.

What do you like? Why? Why do it still play this game despite all the difficulties it takes to make it run on a modern pc?

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 2Oliver de Clisson May 6 2018, 21:16 PM
In this game everything is correct and fitting as it should be in a strategy game. Graphics fantasy and realistic at once . (In addition with Sweetfx Tool, which I use even more). Sounds of the game and german synchro speakers of all the units and heroes are great. Game mechanics nice fast, complex and agressive. Also good realistics fights. Close combat each unit against each other, arrow flights etc...

Just everything which should be right in a game, ARE in this game, and thats why it is my favourite RTS.

Clan: The Last Knights of Middle-Earth

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 3tomatoface May 6 2018, 21:25 PM
I love nostalgia, when I was 10/11 years old I played BFME 1 a lot and grew to love it and, ofc, the LotR trilogy (even tried to read the books back then, mistakes were made). I kind of forgot about it as in my teens i was a bit of a console gamer, playing CoD, Battlefield, skyrim etc. until i got a laptop for uni and built a pc and discovered this community.

Massive nostalgia plus i got to play RotWK, which I had never owned in disk format. Had a busy past 2 summers and shite wifi at uni but i'm looking forward to playing a few gr games this summer.

For somebody new to the rts genre who's a LotR fan, RotWK is a great intro - at the start there's nothing like killing 30 mins or an hour after a long day than watching a few 1v1s or a decent 4v4 from the popular replays archive.

Nostalgia aside, the next best thing about RotWK is the 2.02 patch - it's fucking amazing. v7.1.0 looks pretty sweet so far too.

I also love the little details in the game that are sourced from the film. Nearly everything from the BFME games is mentioned somewhere (ok Angmar is from an age before the films, some heroes are from book lore like Dain... but hey). Eg postern gate - when Gimli and Aragorn slip outside when Isen is ramming the gate of Helm's Deep, Gandalf's Istari Light on the Fellbeast, or hawk strike, which Lego used to down the Mumak.

It's really easy to immerse yourself in the LotR world when playing this game thanks to details like this.

This post has been edited by tomatoface: May 6 2018, 21:31 PM

+
# 4Ab3r` May 6 2018, 23:47 PM
QUOTE(tomatoface @ May 6 2018, 22:25 PM) *

I love nostalgia, when I was 10/11 years old I played BFME 1 a lot and grew to love it and, ofc, the LotR trilogy (even tried to read the books back then, mistakes were made). I kind of forgot about it as in my teens i was a bit of a console gamer, playing CoD, Battlefield, skyrim etc. until i got a laptop for uni and built a pc and discovered this community.

Massive nostalgia plus i got to play RotWK, which I had never owned in disk format. Had a busy past 2 summers and shite wifi at uni but i'm looking forward to playing a few gr games this summer.

For somebody new to the rts genre who's a LotR fan, RotWK is a great intro - at the start there's nothing like killing 30 mins or an hour after a long day than watching a few 1v1s or a decent 4v4 from the popular replays archive.

Nostalgia aside, the next best thing about RotWK is the 2.02 patch - it's fucking amazing. v7.1.0 looks pretty sweet so far too.

I also love the little details in the game that are sourced from the film. Nearly everything from the BFME games is mentioned somewhere (ok Angmar is from an age before the films, some heroes are from book lore like Dain... but hey). Eg postern gate - when Gimli and Aragorn slip outside when Isen is ramming the gate of Helm's Deep, Gandalf's Istari Light on the Fellbeast, or hawk strike, which Lego used to down the Mumak.

It's really easy to immerse yourself in the LotR world when playing this game thanks to details like this.

Summed up perfectly.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 5TheDestroyer001 May 7 2018, 00:22 AM
QUOTE(tomatoface @ May 6 2018, 13:25 PM) *

Nailed it.

+
# 6TheRingisHot May 7 2018, 18:24 PM
bcz i love bashing nabs like muadd

+
# 7MauHúR May 7 2018, 18:44 PM
The why would take too long but the very moment I knew I love this game was when I was playing the Mirkwood mission from the evil Bfme2 campaign for the first time. Something about the atmosphere in that mission, the torches combined with the dim lighting, Mountain Trolls, the Nazgul and Shelob, the slow claiming of the map and much more just completely soaked me into this game and the magic never really stopped from that point. I still feel it after 10 years when making a map and trying to create similar types of atmospheres that made me fall in love with the game.

+
# 8Mako May 7 2018, 20:20 PM
I was an aoe2 player (offline player). When i saw troll animations and mumaks I felt in love of this game. I love tolkien world and an rts on that was amazing.

I approached this community because i need some helps becasue i wanted to do some maps for my lan games with friends. Then i stopped play with them and i found a small community where gap of skill isn't so huge and with a bit application you can play in "good" rooms.
It is bad a good that there isn't an high competition in this game. You can play vs pros and interact with them, you can help staff doing things, you can give your opinion and make things better. In bigger communities is harder.

+
# 9TheRanger_ May 7 2018, 21:02 PM
My older brother and I played BFME 1 for years together, having an RTS based in Middle-earth felt like winning something special; it was so much more than that though. From Lothlorien to Helm's Deep to Minas Tirith to Cirith Ungol to Mount Doom, we were enchanted completely. When he finally moved away on his own it was just me left, me and good ol' BFME to sustain me, which I played the life out of for years more (I still do).

We always talked about buying BFME 2 but never did, so after he left I got it as homage to him. Loved it instantly, and of course I had to buy the RotWK expansion; been loving it ever since. Only just found this community a year or so ago, I wish I had found it a lot sooner. sleep.gif

QUOTE(MauHúR @ May 7 2018, 18:44 PM) *

The why would take too long but the very moment I knew I love this game was when I was playing the Mirkwood mission from the evil Bfme2 campaign for the first time. Something about the atmosphere in that mission, the torches combined with the dim lighting, Mountain Trolls, the Nazgul and Shelob, the slow claiming of the map and much more just completely soaked me into this game and the magic never really stopped from that point. I still feel it after 10 years when making a map and trying to create similar types of atmospheres that made me fall in love with the game.

Also this.

This post has been edited by TheRanger_: May 7 2018, 22:11 PM

+
# 10brabox May 8 2018, 08:30 AM
The design is fantastic. It's easy to take stuff like the voice work, ambient (sound, FXs, animals, chatter) and other little details such as structure animations and death animations for granted. But they really make the game more immersive.

I also like the simplistic resource system of bfme2. It's like: don't overcomplicate stuff with workers gathering resources. Ultimately, it's about map control. So why not just translate map control to income?

+
# 11CirillA May 8 2018, 08:42 AM
I hated this game until I played offhost for the first time, the delay and lag aroused me so much, and I'd honestly compare it to being as good as sex.

Clan: [FtN]

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 12brabox May 8 2018, 11:00 AM
QUOTE(Ghost` @ May 8 2018, 09:42 AM) *

I hated this game until I played offhost for the first time, the delay and lag aroused me so much, and I'd honestly compare it to being as good as sex.

Way to go, you somehow managed to transform a positive topic into yet another vehicle for you to complain about offhost delay.

Clear contender for 2018's edition of the annual cynicism awards IMO

+
# 13Elrohir May 8 2018, 11:21 AM
Wow so many reasons. A lot has been mentioned already. If I should choose another thing it would probably be seeing strategies develop and change during a patch's lifetime. I clearly remember when Ella first starting doing dwarves -> double cave troll creep -> gloin -> fort rush. I had never seen that before and he lit people up for a couple weeks before people knew how to deal with this (dunno if he was the first to do it) but anyway it was cool to see people coming up with creative strats to outsmart their opponents.

Clan: Divine

+
# 14Mako May 8 2018, 12:11 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ May 8 2018, 08:30 AM) *

The design is fantastic. It's easy to take stuff like the voice work, ambient (sound, FXs, animals, chatter) and other little details such as structure animations and death animations for granted. But they really make the game more immersive.

I also like the simplistic resource system of bfme2. It's like: don't overcomplicate stuff with workers gathering resources. Ultimately, it's about map control. So why not just translate map control to income?

Yeah i liked that system too.

QUOTE(Ghost` @ May 8 2018, 08:42 AM) *

I think you can do better than complain about lag. At least you dedicated a lot of games to this game. This thread isn't a comparison to sc2 bro smile.gif

+
# 15Muadd May 8 2018, 14:02 PM
It cures my depression

Clan: GoF|

+
# 16LeTigres May 8 2018, 16:46 PM
I started playing this because i heard that you could get a lot of dick playing this game. I also heard that you get the possibility to flame every gaming thug who usually only have conversation with another person if it's his own parents crying about the dishes.

+
# 17CirillA May 8 2018, 19:36 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ May 8 2018, 11:00 AM) *

Way to go, you somehow managed to transform a positive topic into yet another vehicle for you to complain about offhost delay.
Clear contender for 2018's edition of the annual cynicism awards IMO

Clearly a joke, the new patch must have patched up all previous jokes/ sarcasm, way to go.. I'm still here aren't I?!

The main reason is because I am a complete nerd who loves RTS and LOTR.

This post has been edited by Ghost`: May 8 2018, 20:31 PM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 18DucK™ May 9 2018, 12:15 PM
QUOTE(Ghost` @ May 8 2018, 19:36 PM) *

Clearly a joke, the new patch must have patched up all previous jokes/ sarcasm, way to go.. I'm still here aren't I?!

The main reason is because I am a complete nerd who loves RTS and LOTR.

Lies. We were all in this for the pussy smile.gif.

+
# 19Muadd May 9 2018, 13:54 PM
I also heard that you get the possibility to flame every gaming thug who usually only have conversation with another person if it's his own parents crying about the dishes.

Sleeper described in one sentence

Clan: GoF|

+
# 20LeTigres May 9 2018, 14:37 PM
QUOTE(DucK™ @ May 9 2018, 14:15 PM) *

Lies. We were all in this for the pussy smile.gif.

The only pussy is you.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)