Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Why some unit battalion size of units reduced i...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Johann Tilly Jan 22 2020, 21:43 PM
Lorien Warriors and Lorien Archers, Dwarven Guardians, axe throwers of dwarves? Why the EA Developers did reduce their battalion size in comparison to bfme2? Was it supposed to implement that the evil factions have the mass army hordes and the good ones smaller but stronger battalions or inf?

In an very old post some gr.org members said it was done to reduce lag, but that would make no sense for only some weird few units.

This post has been edited by Johann Tilly: Jan 24 2020, 13:31 PM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 2Excelsior Jan 23 2020, 22:19 PM
I think it was purely visual. They wanted to branch out a bit from BFME2.

Clan: Brothers of War

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3Johann Tilly Jan 24 2020, 13:53 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Jan 23 2020, 22:19 PM) *

Ah.

+
# 4Johann Tilly Dec 15 2020, 01:26 AM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Jan 23 2020, 22:19 PM) *

I rather assume: The devs clearly nerved lots of swordsmen units in rotwk 2.00 vanilla from the factions (slow attack speed and slow movement speed+battalion sizes reduced), because in bfme2 it was so good to rush the weak buildings with these kind of units. Buildings (dmg resistance or armor were buffed against melee and siege attacks too to make the game a bit slower and remove the negative aspect "buildings squishy" of bfme2)
Flyers /Fellbeasts were also nerved by increasing their vulnerability to arrows.
Pikemen and Cav remained mainly unchanged. Archers as counter to swordsmen were buffed (for example in bfme2 MoD and Ithilien Rangers have only a bat of 10 members. While in rotwk they both have 12 (the sixth missing bat member was added to the two unit lines)
Also when you look at rotwk units bats you can see on lots of units (especially from the evil factions (GoblinsHaradrim Cav, Corsairs, Harad Archers, Rivendell lancers, Dunedain Rangers, Dunland Warriors, Uruk Swordsmen, mordor orcs, that the sixth member of the battallion was removed, so the formation of lots of units looks odd at 5 because there is a visible blank space in the battallion where a guy should be. If you fill up the 5er unit lines of goblins or uruks with a sixth bat member it would be looking nice and symmetrical/logical.
But somehow some decided to cut them out. Just look at a gob bat. You can clearly see that there is a whole line of 6 bat members missing in the entire bat (the not closed space amidst the units.)

Also Mirks where in 2.00 only available at barracks level 3, in rotwk 2.00 it was changed to level 2 (did players demanded it or did some EA devs just a few changes out of there own? also with 2.01 some PP were moved in the spellbook so that it lead to the best path, wtf before the order in the spellbook was balanced) and then there were complaints about owning to much. It seems players never get satisfied. And MoD where already avaible with only 150 cost in bfme2 1.00 but I didnt saw them really been built in 1.01-1.04 replays. And out of sudden it was discovered in 2.01. lol why not earlier. All these random half heartly changes between 2.00/2.01 (2.00 was based off 1.04) ( reducing lurtz carnage but not others from like azog which was broken against fortresses or Rogash buff ability) half heartly and random decisions (gorkils price cost or moving elronds LD from level 5 or 6 to level 3, having spider riders poison, but spiderlings not, warg packs having slow attack animation while they should have the one from the creeps....) with the process of what do take with/out from bfme2 and put it into rotwk release version. Random shit, its a tragedy. (Gorkils cost was reduced from 3000 to 1800 which was a mistake because his level 10 ability was OP against armys and buildings and was the reason he cost that much in bfme2 = so low cooldown same as HoG, Wormtounges level 10 ability, drogoth s abilitys etc... (actually all this stuff is balanced but was broken because of way to short recharge times). RotWK 2.01 was also developed rushed. Tons of new units there have the same Look [Deathbringers are built together graphicaly of Custom hero assets wtf or dwarven zealots = mini gimlis xD or animations or even death sounds (prince brandt was faramirs, or azog was lurtzs, or haradrim cav of elven riders, while having rivendell lancers animations. Black Riders have gondor knight animation movements and their death screams,] like units in main game bfme2.

This post has been edited by Johann Tilly: Feb 15 2021, 15:45 PM

+
# 5SeñorEcthelion Jan 28 2021, 11:34 AM
i ask i answer, it's only way

+
# 6Talosgod Jan 28 2021, 17:26 PM
xd

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 7TomaSkTemplar Jan 29 2021, 17:36 PM
melee units in 3+ rows have trouble engaging,
Archers dont have that problem. No friendly fire or anything.

if it was up to me, I would try to get rid of column-like or square formations of swords because the later ranks (3 and higher) just stand there.

If youd like to keep the units nearly the same, I would reduce soldiers from 15 to 14 and make them 2 rows. Goblins something similar, or making them have smaller collision/tighter formation so half trolls, guardians and bnumenors dont completely make them total trash.

'rant'
rotwk in 2007 was seriously pain. I was checking their forums, wrote there too, when is the next patch coming and so on. But then I began understanding the meaning of corporate (or western) greed - the more you feed it, the less it gives. The less you give, the more it shows interest in your not so cheap money. It seemed like it was around that time that when they seriously sought to control the buyer of their products, with DRM sheet in ra 3 limited use, them trying to limit reselling, even if it was not their business. And things like accusing everyone of being a pirate if you werent always online to spy on you and you actually could play genuine LAN, because fake online LAN served as their wannabe justification. (for example, I never used fake LAN, yet, games like RA 3 got 'wiser',(I think it was there where LAN was no more, so I lost interest really in their further stuff) First decade I think still had LAN on ZH, sadly DVD worked barely a year, origin generals/ZH removed LAN, so to me it is like spitting in my face, because I never played generals/ZH online, always LAN, so they stole a very valuable feature from what was rightfully mine.)
'endrant'

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 8Clever Jan 31 2021, 13:23 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Jan 24 2020, 00:19 AM) *

+1

Clan: Prisoners Of War

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)