Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Would it be possible to make custom heroes part of the standard multiplayer ruleset?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1HarveyWinstein Feb 11 2019, 22:06 PM
I may be a more casually inclined person, but heroes are the biggest strenght of this game and creating a hero is an insanely cool mechanic that is basicaly absent from all other RTS games. Unfortunately, I know that cheating broken and overpowered heroes is a trivial task, as they are stored as text files and there is nothing stoping people from manipulating that. I think, but I am not sure that there is no system to detect hacked heroes in multiplayer. Anyway, I have 2 questions to the experts and regulars:
1) Is it even possible to detect abused heroes before the game starts or when they appear in battle.
2) Would you be willing to explore this dimension of the game?

+
# 2TaDa! Feb 11 2019, 22:20 PM
Does anyone forbid u to play like this in multiplayer?

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3brabox Feb 12 2019, 09:36 AM
Put it in your room title on GR.
"2.02 1v1 with CaH" or something.

Anyway, the reason I think many good players don't particularly like CaHs because they add even more heroes to the game and some factions already have a lot.

I'd be open to doing a tournament where you can have a CaH that replaces another hero. E.g. if you make a custom hero worth 1000 and play as Goblins, it'd replace Azog. But if you make a Wizard worth 6k then it'd replace Drogoth.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 4HarveyWinstein Feb 12 2019, 17:23 PM
Hmmm, what about making each additional hero you buy more expensive? Or just adding a limit, as you have already limited forts? Or making separate hero command points, so for example as Isengard, you can choose if you want lurtz and custom hero with sharku and grima or saruman?

I mean 2.02 is supposed to keep with the spirit of the base game, and making CaH while not breaking something else viable seems to fit that.

This post has been edited by HarveyWinstein: Feb 12 2019, 17:27 PM

+
# 5Mako Feb 14 2019, 18:53 PM
They can be easy cheated and can be more strong than sauron in 1v1.

+
# 6Sabriael Feb 15 2019, 03:56 AM
The problem with trying to add CaHs to anything, even if it was impossible to cheat them, is that they are effectively impossible to take into account for balance. There are hundreds of different possible combinations available for CaHs regardless of which side you are playing, and so you are effectively adding thousands of new variables to the game by using CaHs in matches.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from setting up games that have them allowed.

+
# 7Michael Gladius Mar 4 2019, 19:24 PM
I'd have a 4-tiered structure for Custom heroes, based on strength/armor and powers. These are: lightweights, heavyweights, team players, and titans. The thresholds for what constitutes low/high powers or strength can be debated.

Attached Image

+
# 8brabox Mar 6 2019, 10:17 AM
I think I can speak for the entirety of staff if I say we're not focused on CaHs right now (due to lack of time). But I know Sabriael has shown he knows his way around the .ini files and he seems interested in improving WotR and CaHs.

If volunteers can propose (or even write) changes for CaHs, we're happy to consider them.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)