Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

dodgewars.net 1.0 - Work in Progress

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1StrayHeart Jul 28 2017, 15:58 PM
Hello.

I am glad to announce that version 1.0 dodgewars.net ladder is now live.

All necessary info is available under link above:

http://dodgewars.net/index.html#!/GetStarted

Elapsed time: 28th of May - 28th of July

Have a nice day,
Good luck & have fun,

Your faithful web developer
StrayHeart

This post has been edited by Mako: Oct 24 2017, 16:38 PM

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2trevormcg Jul 28 2017, 17:03 PM
very cool ,
congrats on the achievement

+
# 3brabox Jul 28 2017, 21:42 PM
Nice! Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Lemme summarize the steps quickly:
1. Make account (on webpage)
2. Log-in
3. My Panel > Create Nickname (this is your in-game name). Tip: choose sth new. E.g. instead of BraBox I chose LBraBox to make sure it's clear when I play ladder or FFG
4. Download the app
5. Log in to app
6. Play games and press F6 at the Final Score screen if you lost

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 4Excelsior Jul 29 2017, 01:40 AM
Nice work! However, it seems the site is down.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 5Muadd Jul 29 2017, 07:11 AM
Site is down

Clan: GoF|

+
# 6Mr.SmOKing Jul 29 2017, 07:16 AM
QUOTE(Muadd @ Jul 29 2017, 09:11 AM) *

Site is down

+

Clan: PIRATES

+
# 7StrayHeart Jul 29 2017, 07:57 AM
The site was down because server is off in late hours, as I mentioned before. The fan is pretty loud and your unable to sleep. I cba renting professional remote hosting since it's quite expensive in case of .NET.

And yes, the scenario goes as brabox mentioned. There is a chance I can make it fully autoreported making an app that listens for your screen changes for 'DEFEATED' screen, but at this stage it's enough. This is a harder piece of cake.

+
# 8brabox Jul 29 2017, 09:39 AM
QUOTE(StrayHeart @ Jul 29 2017, 08:57 AM) *

The site was down because server is off in late hours, as I mentioned before. The fan is pretty loud and your unable to sleep. I cba renting professional remote hosting since it's quite expensive in case of .NET.

You do realize it's kind of counter-productive to have a semi autoreport system if players need to continuously check whether the website is still running, right?

Another way of putting it: what if people want to play while you want to sleep?

Of course, the situation is not necessarily easy to solve, but do you have any long-term ideas? Like, moving your PC to another room, letting others host mirror servers, or, setting up a donation-type thing to pay for a remote server?

+
# 9StrayHeart Jul 29 2017, 11:14 AM
QUOTE(brabox @ Jul 29 2017, 10:39 AM) *

You do realize it's kind of counter-productive to have a semi autoreport system if players need to continuously check whether the website is still running, right?

Another way of putting it: what if people want to play while you want to sleep?

Ofcourse I do realize. Still, some anonymous player, whose nickname I will not mention, stated working on this has no sense as long as this game does not feature automatch making and autoreport with it's ladder. Seeing your enthusiasm, I think I could reject this plan at the very beginning ot not publishing it at all.

Imho there is nothing you can do to make this game as active as it used to be.

I published this for you having the situation and conditions that I actually have. Deal with it. Nobody is forcing you to use it.

QUOTE(brabox @ Jul 29 2017, 10:39 AM) *

Like, moving your PC to another room, setting up a donation-type thing to pay for a remote server?

Yes. I thought about donating and taking a monthly tribute from each player. But, please. Do you believe people will pay? I'd be happy if at least 20 people use it. Then I start worrying about keeping it continous, lol.

I'm thinking of moving the server to another place, but this is a matter of time since I go abroad in delegation pretty soon.

+
# 10brabox Jul 29 2017, 11:30 AM
QUOTE(StrayHeart @ Jul 29 2017, 12:14 PM) *

Ofcourse I do realize. Still, some anonymous player, whose nickname I will not mention, stated working on this has no sense as long as this game does not feature automatch making and autoreport with it's ladder. Seeing your enthusiasm, I think I could reject this plan at the very beginning ot not publishing it at all.

I don't see a reason why auto-match could not be a thing in the future?

The rest of your sentence I don't really understand.

Imho there is nothing you can do to make this game as active as it used to be.

How is that relevant? We can make it more active, right?

I published this for you having the situation and conditions that I actually have. Deal with it. Nobody is forcing you to use it.

You could've released any old rubbish and still make that argument. No, indeed, we are not forced to use it. OK. Again, not very relevant.

I'm just suggesting ways to improve your system. The fact that players can't play for 6-10 hours while you're asleep is a huge downside. Especially because you don't get any feedback if the report goes wrong.
And what if the report goes wrong? How can I report the next day?

It seems the system is sooner in beta phase than "version 1.0" as you call it. But you may have a different interpretation of version numbers than I do.

Yes. I thought about donating and taking a monthly tribute from each player. But, please. Do you believe people will pay? I'd be happy if at least 20 people use it. Then I start worrying about keeping it continous, lol.

I was asking for a long-term plan.
Of course that only exists if players actually use your ladder. In which case, we as staff will try to find ways to support the ladder if it's in the interest of the community. This could include financial support.

I'm thinking of moving the server to another place, but this is a matter of time since I go abroad in delegation pretty soon.

As long as your server can run 24/7, I think the system is adequate for the moment.
Currently, I see the downtime as a rather large downside.

+
# 11Eonwe^^ Jul 29 2017, 11:47 AM
Attached File Replay_Parser_bea_1.05.1.rar
Size: 418.6k
Number of downloads: 33

This post has been edited by Eonwe^^: Nov 13 2017, 16:14 PM

+
# 12TheRingisHot Jul 29 2017, 11:54 AM
QUOTE(brabox @ Jul 29 2017, 11:30 AM) *

I'm just suggesting ways to improve your system. The fact that players can't play for 6-10 hours while you're asleep is a huge downside. Especially because you don't get any feedback if the report goes wrong.

Not being able to sleep for perhaps 6-8 players to play is a bigger downside

+
# 13brabox Jul 29 2017, 11:59 AM
QUOTE(TheRingisHot @ Jul 29 2017, 12:54 PM) *
Not being able to sleep for perhaps 6-8 players to play is a bigger downside

LOL
And I actually mean it, which is rare. I actually laughed.

+
# 14Excelsior Jul 29 2017, 12:27 PM
Let's all be grateful at the fact that we have a working stats platform. This takes us one step closer to a better future for the game. This is the first official release, so we have to understand that there are going to be a few problems here and there, but I remain optimistic that, if we support this project, we'll see future improvements.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 15Eonwe^^ Jul 29 2017, 12:36 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Jul 29 2017, 12:27 PM) *

Let's all be grateful at the fact that we have a working stats platform. This takes us one step closer to a better future for the game. This is the first official release, so we have to understand that there are going to be a few problems here and there, but I remain optimistic that, if we support this project, we'll see future improvements.

Thats right , its not final version . Some improvements will be done for sure , Stray its in your disposition and he is good programmer . For beggining some people know already cause I pmed them on gameranger but writing this here just to start playing from August .

+
# 16brabox Jul 29 2017, 12:40 PM
True, let's get some games in today while the server is up! ATM, all the figures still say 0.

Btw, Stray, how long is the rating period at the moment?

Just so the others understand: a rating period is a time-frame within which all games count equally. E.g. if you play 5-3 vs someone within one rating period, it doesn't matter what the order of those matches was. This is a nice feature of the point system since host advantage is a thing in rotwk.

I have another question. The Getting Started page says:
"You can play any kind of game except FFA. What is so great about it, this is very flexible. From now you can turn any for fun game into a DW ranked game."

Does this mean that 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 work? (assuming all players in the game have valid DW nicks?)

This post has been edited by brabox: Jul 29 2017, 12:44 PM

+
# 17StrayHeart Jul 29 2017, 13:06 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Jul 29 2017, 13:27 PM) *

Yes and I hope the same way that you do.

QUOTE(Eonwe^^ @ Jul 29 2017, 13:36 PM) *

Thats right , its not final version . Some improvements will be done for sure , Stray its in your disposition and he is good programmer . For beggining some people know already cause I pmed them on gameranger but writing this here just to start playing from August .

Maybe I was wrong for calling it 'version 1.0'. Let it be Beta 1.0 smile.gif As I said, this is a very basic implementation. It lacks lots of stuff, such as filling 'unreported match form', admins roles or warriors stats and prizes. On the webpage I explained everything that it features and this is a starting point.

QUOTE(brabox @ Jul 29 2017, 13:40 PM) *

True, let's get some games in today while the server is up! ATM, all the figures still say 0.
Btw, Stray, how long is the rating period at the moment?

The server usually goes does 11 pm GMT+1 time.
The rating period is set to 2 days and it starts at 1st August 23:59:59.

Maybe I am able to host all the services on RasberryPi that is very quiet and so on. But all that needs time... I've never done it I am a junior programmer. And I won't pay a dedicated .NET hosting so far for financial reasons.

QUOTE(brabox @ Jul 29 2017, 13:40 PM) *

I have another question. The Getting Started page says:
"You can play any kind of game except FFA. What is so great about it, this is very flexible. From now you can turn any for fun game into a DW ranked game."

Does this mean that 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 work? (assuming all players in the game have valid DW nicks?)

Exactly. Every player in the game must have his nick 1:1 with the one created in DW and one of the loosers has to report. As far as I remember, when cw.cc supported autoreporting, they made the same 1:1 constraint.

+
# 18brabox Jul 29 2017, 13:20 PM
QUOTE(StrayHeart @ Jul 29 2017, 14:06 PM) *

Maybe I was wrong for calling it 'version 1.0'. Let it be Beta 1.0 smile.gif

OK that removes most of my concerns tongue.gif
Let's beta!

Maybe I am able to host all the services on RasberryPi that is very quiet and so on.

And extremely cheap, because it hardly uses any power. The only question is whether the load could be handled by such a low-end device. But I think modern RaspPies have 4 cores and decent memory, so most likely it can support RotWK's player base.

Every player in the game must have his nick 1:1 with the one created in DW and one of the loosers has to report. As far as I remember, when cw.cc supported autoreporting, they made the same 1:1 constraint.

The nick matching is fine. It's a good way to differentiate between FFG and ladder games.
Also, if 2v2+ works as well that's really good news! I didn't expect that.

+
# 19LastDefender Jul 29 2017, 13:51 PM
ty for your work man....highly appreciated smile.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 20^Striker^ Jul 30 2017, 01:03 AM
Thanks for putting work in this, appreciated

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)