Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Snipers: Mean and Unseen

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1TrouserDemon Jan 28 2010, 01:23 AM
Discussion topic for the guide to better sniper use.

This post has been edited by TrouserDemon: Jan 28 2010, 01:26 AM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Flight7 Jan 28 2010, 01:59 AM
As well, a sad, doctrine specific, counter to the wher sniper are strafing runs, courtesy of the American Airborne doctrine. However, once the wher sniper gets veterency they do not die immediately.

Oh and luring snipers in with dead bodies who act as "ghosts" is a neat trick, when lucky enough, to uncover ur opponent snipers.

For PE, the best counter is the kettenkrad, even when camoed i believe, and for Brits its the sniping shot by the recon squad or other lucky artillery.

+
# 3lbg Jan 28 2010, 02:58 AM
The best early PE counter is actually the AC. Due to Relic's 2.5 schenanigans, they gave the sight bonus meant for the scout car to the AC. It's actually an accident I hope they keep, seeing as the horrible turret rotation speed on the scout car makes it poor for tracking retreating snipers.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 4HereticGrim Jan 28 2010, 04:31 AM
["Ein Schoss, eine Tötung." - Wehrmacht Sniper] rofl.

sounds like a very bad google translation in an arcade game, generated by the google translator.

ALL YOUR GRAMMAR ARE BELONG TO US

+
# 5The Red Comet Jan 28 2010, 05:20 AM
QUOTE(HereticGrim @ Jan 27 2010, 21:31 PM) *

sounds like a very bad google translation in an arcade game, generated by the google translator.

It's what the Wehrmacht Sniper will say from time to time when you select him. Just like in Indian Jones: The Last Crusade, it's fun bad German.

This post has been edited by The Red Comet: Jan 28 2010, 05:23 AM

+
# 6Marcus2389 Jan 28 2010, 09:16 AM
Awesome guide, i really like that, but i think you should have said also how snipers can die: like to strafing runs, 1second arty, armored cars that shouldn't be able to spot snipers (while actually they can), well placed (lucky placed) mines...

But the article is good, well done wink.gif

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 7Eupolemos Jan 28 2010, 11:49 AM
Good writeup - another good idea is to have a HT with the sniper to get out of a sticky situation wink.gif

+
# 8rollems Jan 28 2010, 17:11 PM

Good to put it as a guide.
though these things have been mentioned so many times before. Joe gave a good writeup.
maybe you wanna include Yurdle's sniper stats differences too.

Joe
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=524801

Yurdle
http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php...ighlight=sniper

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

+
# 9GonzoBot Jan 29 2010, 00:10 AM
QUOTE(HereticGrim @ Jan 28 2010, 06:31 AM) *

In the German version he says:"Ein Schuss, ein Treffer!" "One shot, one hit!"

Der Schuss - the shot
schiessen - to shoot
Der Treffer - the (positive) hit (on the target)
treffen - to hit (the target)

Game: Universe at War

+
# 10(2)manno™ Jan 29 2010, 19:45 PM
nice article. a few things you might want to add:

1. the WM sniper has significantly better tracking speeds, both vertical and horizontal. that means it will "track" to the target even if it's not facing it, much faster than the US sniper will.

therefore, you don't actually have to have the WM sniper facing the US sniper in order for him to swing his weapon both up (he's usually pointing it towards the ground) and around (depending on where's he facing relative to the target) quickly enough to snipe. you can easily see this speed difference in-game if you snipe enough.

this makes the WM sniper a better counter-sniper, as your sniper doesn't have to be in perfect position to shoot the US sniper even on the first re-cloak. since the US sniper tracking is so much slower (again you will notice when practicing this guide) sniping the WM sniper on the 1st re-cloak however, is very, very difficult...

2. dont' want to spend 150 munis to strafe a sniper? a cheaper than strafe way to counter-snipe if you're AB company is to use the recon run. simply position your sniper in the manner detailed in the guide, then run your recon run for 50 munis.

boom. headshot. i love AB doctrine when i snipe.

3. many may have noticed if they have 2 snipers target the same squad, only one will fire sometimes. this is because both snipers have selected the same soldier in that squad. to avoid this, select both snipers, hit tab and select 1 pio, then tab and select the 2nd pio. you will insta-gib pio squads this way, and avoid the 1 shot problem.

4. it's very, very difficult to counter-snipe on the first exposure. as you've said, the enemy sniper re-cloak time is very fast. most players will try to counter-snipe on the enemy snipers 2nd shot in order to take advantage of the longer re-cloak time... and so as not to reveal their own sniper until the best possible circumstance arises.

This post has been edited by (2)manno™: Jan 29 2010, 19:48 PM

+
# 11Symbiosis Jan 30 2010, 11:55 AM
As well, a sad, doctrine specific, counter to the wher sniper are strafing runs, courtesy of the American Airborne doctrine. However, once the wher sniper gets veterency they do not die immediately.

Staves won't work at vetted snipers, they will survive, only unvetted snipers will die due to a straving run.

Clan: Allstars

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 12Cabooter Feb 6 2010, 19:32 PM
QUOTE(LtnTraichers @ Jan 30 2010, 13:55 PM) *

Staves won't work at vetted snipers, they will survive, only unvetted snipers will die due to a straving run.

Though, when infantry closeby, you will have a decent chance of killing the sniper because it received a lot of damage from the strafe. wink.gif

Clan: Insane

+
# 13hul Feb 12 2010, 10:05 AM
vet 3 snipers with full health can die to strafe. It depends on the cover smile.gif

+
# 14Akrava Mar 16 2010, 08:25 AM
thanks for the tips

Clan: Reborn

+
# 15Keith Mallory Mar 17 2010, 14:54 PM
What about dual snipers? Is it worth MP cost? How should dual snipers be used: both up on the front line; one up front, the other covering from behind; rotating them in and out of the front line between shots to keep cloaking cool down low? If one sniper is micro-intensive, it seems to me that two would be even harder to manage, at least for the beginner. I'm just wondering because I'm trying Bud's Wehrmacht Tier 3 - 4 Strategy, and trying to decide if dual snipers is worth the trouble.

~GR

+
# 16GodWin Mar 26 2010, 20:42 PM
dual snipers is a bit harder, however against less competent players can give you an advantage against a bike or jeep. Go with sniper first, then when you can consistently get that sniper to the end of the game with 20+ kills start working with two.

+
# 17N3rull Apr 23 2010, 09:20 AM
QUOTE((2)manno™ @ Jan 29 2010, 19:45 PM) *

2. dont' want to spend 150 munis to strafe a sniper? a cheaper than strafe way to counter-snipe if you're AB company is to use the recon run. simply position your sniper in the manner detailed in the guide, then run your recon run for 50 munis.

boom. headshot. i love AB doctrine when i snipe.

That's what I missed in the Tip. I did use it a couple of times to reveal an enemy sniper, but the reveal period is insanely low (about as long as the time a sniper stays uncovered after his first shot from camo). Thanks to the Tip I will counter-snipe much more effectively now that I know the Ambush and Marauders techniques tongue.gif.
Thanks!

This post has been edited by N3rull: Apr 23 2010, 09:22 AM

+
# 18Vigiliance Aug 29 2010, 22:10 PM
What's the difference between using the attack move (A + Left click) and just right clicking enemy units?

Game: Company of Heroes Online

+
# 1913oomer Aug 30 2010, 03:32 AM
attack move is faster and doesn't punish you for misclicking.

E.g. if you were in the heat of battle and right clicked on the sniper but didn't actually click on him, your sniper would move there instead of shot. It happens often when you're trying to micro lots of things and also counter snipe in the small window given to you.

If you attack move, it'll auto target the sniper and means you don't have to worry about the accuracy of your clicking. Although you have to absolutely make sure your sniper is in range. I've had times where the sniper shot a KT instead of the sniper behind it cry.gif

Clan: Suck it Trebek!

+
# 20Vigiliance Sep 1 2010, 11:28 AM
Right, got it. Thx for the reply.

Game: Company of Heroes Online

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)