Explore GameReplays...

Opinion Poll on Future News Posts/Articles on GR

What type of news would you like to see more?
17.65% (3)
First-Person / Third-Person Shooters
5.88% (1)
Action - Adventure / Role-Playing Games
0.00% (0)
MMORPGs
0.00% (0)
Racing Games
64.71% (11)
Real Time Strategy Games
0.00% (0)
Real Time Tactics Games
0.00% (0)
4X Games (Tropico, Civlization)
5.88% (1)
Console and Handheld Games
0.00% (0)
Tech News
5.88% (1)
Sports Games

Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1FallenXE Nov 12 2017, 17:14 PM
Aside from the usual news from the Portals and Franchises that we support here on GR, would you like to see more news from any of the above game genres?

If you have a particular reason why a certain genre or game should be covered more do tell us your thoughts below! Do also indicate if I have missed out any particular genre.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2bushit Nov 12 2017, 19:52 PM
My gut says that no one reads news on gamereplays, it's more of a way to get some sort of newspost out there and create discussion on the site. But something they may read is a unique article. Something like an opinion, or an analysis of a situation, pertaining to gaming or a genre. This can be a youtube video too, as more people use youtube and may be funneled into gamereplays from there.

I may be wrong tho idk

Clan: GoF|

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3Onyx Nov 13 2017, 03:38 AM
QUOTE(FallenXE @ Nov 12 2017, 17:14 PM) *

Aside from the usual news from the Portals and Franchises that we support here on GR, would you like to see more news from any of the above game genres?

If you have a particular reason why a certain genre or game should be covered more do tell us your thoughts below! Do also indicate if I have missed out any particular genre.

Thanks for all the work you do Fallen smile.gif

Game: Graphics

+
# 4FallenXE Nov 13 2017, 13:50 PM
QUOTE(bushit @ Nov 13 2017, 03:52 AM) *

My gut says that no one reads news on gamereplays, it's more of a way to get some sort of newspost out there and create discussion on the site. But something they may read is a unique article. Something like an opinion, or an analysis of a situation, pertaining to gaming or a genre. This can be a youtube video too, as more people use youtube and may be funneled into gamereplays from there.

I may be wrong tho idk

Yeah I understand where you're coming from and I have been having that feeling for a couple of years too actually. I'll try shifting my output to more of blog-based content and see if there's an uptick on discussion.

QUOTE(Onyx @ Nov 13 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Thanks for all the work you do Fallen smile.gif

No need to thank me haha, but you're welcome

+
# 5Maru Nov 22 2017, 20:45 PM
RPG's mainly. It's all I can be arsed to play now, I'm getting too old to micro my arse off.

Clan: New Generation

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 6EBA Dec 2 2017, 15:28 PM
The community around here is basically non-existent as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if some individual game sections are doing well or not, but the GR mess hall main ''actors'' have long left the premises years ago. I voted sports games to just humor myself, and I'm 1 of the few who voted so far, in a 3 weeks old thread. If you want to create content and have it be seen, you'll have a much better chance on social media sites. Message boards like this are somewhat a relic of a pre-social media era.

I long for the days of GR being a growing and popular entity, especially during the days of C&C3 being supported by EA with their weekly videos. Since then I've stayed in touch with some of the people I used to interact with here, through Steam chats mostly. I don't know man, this is a ship that has sailed on a desert island long ago, if you want to make articles that gets a significant readership, this is clearly not the place anymore.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 7Cypher Dec 2 2017, 16:44 PM
Message boards like this are somewhat a relic of a pre-social media era.

Not entirely true as quite a few of them are still very active, however GR was mishandled badly for ~10 years which inevitable lead to the current situation. Over-staffing, focusing on the wrong things and killing off what made this website successful did the job well. Excluding CNCReplays this website is 12 years old, it won't make it even another 6 years.

But hey, at least they introduced staff excellency awards!

Game: Blizzard

+
# 8X-Flame Dec 3 2017, 08:41 AM
During the height of the HoN portal, the add-on that allowed users to watch Twitch/JustinTV portals through GR was raking in 40K viewers each day. That's 1,2M viewers each month. I'm still scratching my head as to how we didn't capitalize on that.

I mean losing SC2 to TL was inevitable, but we had plenty of other strong portals. CoH, C&C, even HoN was doing fairly well. GR could have been a great place. Nowadays it's just a ghost town, a sad shadow of its former self. It won't be able to return to its former glory.

This post has been edited by X-Flame: Dec 3 2017, 09:29 AM

Game: None

+
# 9Derek Dec 3 2017, 11:32 AM
QUOTE(Cypher @ Dec 2 2017, 11:44 AM) *

Not entirely true as quite a few of them are still very active, however GR was mishandled badly for ~10 years which inevitable lead to the current situation. Over-staffing, focusing on the wrong things and killing off what made this website successful did the job well. Excluding CNCReplays this website is 12 years old, it won't make it even another 6 years.

But hey, at least they introduced staff excellency awards!

There are still active forums, but I don't think any are really growing. Reddit, Discord, and Facebook have taken over most of that space (for the worse). It's even worse for GR.org, since the RTS genre has been moribund with the exception of Starcraft, where GR has never and will never have any presence.

I won't disagree about being mismanaged though. They had the retarded idea of trying to make each of the portals an independent website at a time when they needed to be cooperating more than ever.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 10Maru Dec 3 2017, 12:13 PM
QUOTE(Derek @ Dec 3 2017, 12:32 PM) *

There are still active forums, but I don't think any are really growing. Reddit, Discord, and Facebook have taken over most of that space (for the worse). It's even worse for GR.org, since the RTS genre has been moribund with the exception of Starcraft, where GR has never and will never have any presence.

I won't disagree about being mismanaged though. They had the retarded idea of trying to make each of the portals an independent website at a time when they needed to be cooperating more than ever.

Yeah that was that dude "Zero's" idea, thank fuck that never happened. As for mismanagement, it's possible, but the death of RTS games is the main shortcoming. That can't be changed. As with empire's, all powerful things come and go. It's part of life.

Clan: New Generation

+
# 11FallenXE Dec 3 2017, 16:35 PM
QUOTE(EBA @ Dec 2 2017, 23:28 PM) *

The community around here is basically non-existent as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if some individual game sections are doing well or not, but the GR mess hall main ''actors'' have long left the premises years ago. I voted sports games to just humor myself, and I'm 1 of the few who voted so far, in a 3 weeks old thread. If you want to create content and have it be seen, you'll have a much better chance on social media sites. Message boards like this are somewhat a relic of a pre-social media era.

I long for the days of GR being a growing and popular entity, especially during the days of C&C3 being supported by EA with their weekly videos. Since then I've stayed in touch with some of the people I used to interact with here, through Steam chats mostly. I don't know man, this is a ship that has sailed on a desert island long ago, if you want to make articles that gets a significant readership, this is clearly not the place anymore.

I PMed you my opinion on the issue but yeah I agree with you mostly. I don't agree on the part where message boards have become outdated just because social media is everywhere now though.

QUOTE(X-Flame @ Dec 3 2017, 16:41 PM) *

During the height of the HoN portal, the add-on that allowed users to watch Twitch/JustinTV portals through GR was raking in 40K viewers each day. That's 1,2M viewers each month. I'm still scratching my head as to how we didn't capitalize on that.

I mean losing SC2 to TL was inevitable, but we had plenty of other strong portals. CoH, C&C, even HoN was doing fairly well. GR could have been a great place. Nowadays it's just a ghost town, a sad shadow of its former self. It won't be able to return to its former glory.

Oh man I was in staff back in those days too and I heard how much of the viewers we were pulling in but I didn't know it was THAT much...what a shame. Miss you X-Flame, I remembered your time helming the KW portal smile.gif

QUOTE(Derek @ Dec 3 2017, 19:32 PM) *

It's really a case of user retention instead of user growth for us now on this site. And yeah, RTS is really a dead and stagnant genre and the startegy scene has trended towards the 4x/MOBA/RTT genres for the past decade or so actually.

+
# 12Utred Jan 10 2018, 17:52 PM
I vote we change the site to a blog about EBA's life.

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 13Cypher Jan 11 2018, 21:01 PM

It's really a case of user retention instead of user growth for us now on this site.

So GR is trying not to die and yet there's only this thread (which is a valiant effort, don't get me wrong) to change anything about it. That's sad, considering how many people donated time and energy, just to have it ruined by a few.

At least try to get that award of excellence, if these slackers get it, so should you.

Game: Blizzard

+
# 14Aberrance` Jan 12 2018, 19:28 PM
There is little point in covering something like "Tech News" when there already are specialized and established websites for that sort of thing. There's no sense in trying to compete with them, it's not much of a gimmick if it has already been done and better. GR is spread thin as it is, branching out further would likely be detrimental if anything.

QUOTE(Derek @ Dec 3 2017, 07:32 AM) *

Basically this.

If there's any suggestion left to be made (albeit many years late) it would be to undo some of the site's partitioning. Take this thread for example, it's been here for months and only has 7 votes at this time. I'm confident it would have more if the Mess Hall still showed up on every portal. Instead they all have their own portal specific Mess Hall, which are dead themselves, and which fractured what little community/discussion potential there was. Introducing these was such a misstep. You could maybe replace them with the actual Mess Hall they once replaced and make each a sub-forum of it, or something.

Not that it matters at this point, of course.

+
# 15Masked Jan 18 2018, 04:40 AM
I suggest someone posts their manifesto here before shooting a bunch of people.

It will get a peak in people visiting, and will probably lead to a growth in visitors as it becomes known as the site to view that guys manifesto.

Tasteless yes, but if taste was a concern wouldn't this place have closed already?

p.s. Given no one cares anymore, i know the old spam topics are in the staff section somewhere.
Care to bring them back so i can revel in some nostalgia.

+
# 16X-Flame Jan 18 2018, 15:51 PM
I don't think GR should focus on general content. Consolidation should be key here. Focus on what you still have and cut your losses. There's still RTS's coming out. Dump all of them on the same portal and get rid of all the game specific portals. Have some specific board rooms for each game, but only one Mess Hall for generic talk.

RTS as a whole is pretty dead aside from SC2. Take what you can.

Also consider changing the name. It's 2018, nobody watches replays anymore. It's all livestreams now.

+
# 17Muadd Jan 18 2018, 20:39 PM
QUOTE(X-Flame @ Jan 18 2018, 18:51 PM) *

I don't think GR should focus on general content. Consolidation should be key here. Focus on what you still have and cut your losses. There's still RTS's coming out. Dump all of them on the same portal and get rid of all the game specific portals. Have some specific board rooms for each game, but only one Mess Hall for generic talk.

Also consider changing the name. It's 2018, nobody watches replays anymore. It's all livestreams now.

This or atleast like all BFME games under one portal. Same with Command and conqueror etc

Clan: GoF|

+
# 18Derek Jan 19 2018, 06:39 AM
You know, I think it all started going downhill around the time that I was demodded. Just saying.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 19Johann Tilly Jan 22 2018, 22:05 PM
RTS is not dead, ----> Good RTS`s are dead. Times has changed and they are running out of ideas, because most of the stuff already has been there. Also to much studios were closed and good publishers and talented people are gone.

I myself watching replays from the bfme series and enjoying different RTS games like aoe series, THE GREAT COSSACKS SERIES FROM the year 2000 named "European Wars", stronghold 1 and Crusader I series, with bfme series as permanently project. I also enjoyed RPG`s
like the really Good Game-------> "THIEF Dark Project"<------ or Gothic II and AC I and II alongside Shooters like my absolutly favourite one: F.E.A.R.1 and the Addon Extraction Point. Also Hitman Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts HM: Blood Money, Rome and Medieval TW and many more cool games from those years.

Except DoW SS (which was moved to steam because stupid joke patch from SEGA) I dont consider, game forums here as dead. They still active with posts little tournaments, staff and replay game video content. For example I have supported 2.01 RotWK Section with over good 140 Replays since November 2016.

I also reading articles FOR EXAMPLE the one with the actual problem about AMD`s driver cause SAGE Engine Crashes. Under that topic I pointed you out, that they announced on the linked twitter account, that they have fixed the problem

+
# 20FallenXE Mar 30 2018, 18:23 PM
QUOTE(Cypher @ Jan 12 2018, 05:01 AM) *

So GR is trying not to die and yet there's only this thread (which is a valiant effort, don't get me wrong) to change anything about it. That's sad, considering how many people donated time and energy, just to have it ruined by a few.

At least try to get that award of excellence, if these slackers get it, so should you.

Sorry I took so long to respond. Well at this point as Lead Editor I'm willing to try anything and everything I can to get this site back up and running. Or at least to not be a website version of a Zombie haha

QUOTE(Aberrance` @ Jan 13 2018, 03:28 AM) *

There is little point in covering something like "Tech News" when there already are specialized and established websites for that sort of thing. There's no sense in trying to compete with them, it's not much of a gimmick if it has already been done and better. GR is spread thin as it is, branching out further would likely be detrimental if anything.
Basically this.

If there's any suggestion left to be made (albeit many years late) it would be to undo some of the site's partitioning. Take this thread for example, it's been here for months and only has 7 votes at this time. I'm confident it would have more if the Mess Hall still showed up on every portal. Instead they all have their own portal specific Mess Hall, which are dead themselves, and which fractured what little community/discussion potential there was. Introducing these was such a misstep. You could maybe replace them with the actual Mess Hall they once replaced and make each a sub-forum of it, or something.

Not that it matters at this point, of course.

I agree about the point in not competing against niche sites when we don't have the necessary talent and with the site stretched as it is.

I like that idea about the central mess hall still appearing on every portal? Any other ideas that you have in mind similar to this?

QUOTE(X-Flame @ Jan 18 2018, 23:51 PM) *

Trust me X, consolidation is the mantra that some of us on staff and I have been pushing for the past two years or so...

QUOTE(Muadd @ Jan 19 2018, 04:39 AM) *

This or atleast like all BFME games under one portal. Same with Command and conqueror etc

Personally I think there's sufficient activity in the C&C and BFME portals that warrant them being kept separate for the time being.

QUOTE(Johann Tilly @ Jan 23 2018, 06:05 AM) *

RTS is not dead, ----> Good RTS`s are dead. Times has changed and they are running out of ideas, because most of the stuff already has been there. Also to much studios were closed and good publishers and talented people are gone.

I myself watching replays from the bfme series and enjoying different RTS games like aoe series, THE GREAT COSSACKS SERIES FROM the year 2000 named "European Wars", stronghold 1 and Crusader I series, with bfme series as permanently project. I also enjoyed RPG`s
like the really Good Game-------> "THIEF Dark Project"<------ or Gothic II and AC I and II alongside Shooters like my absolutly favourite one: F.E.A.R.1 and the Addon Extraction Point. Also Hitman Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts HM: Blood Money, Rome and Medieval TW and many more cool games from those years.

Except DoW SS (which was moved to steam because stupid joke patch from SEGA) I dont consider, game forums here as dead. They still active with posts little tournaments, staff and replay game video content. For example I have supported 2.01 RotWK Section with over good 140 Replays since November 2016.

I also reading articles FOR EXAMPLE the one with the actual problem about AMD`s driver cause SAGE Engine Crashes. Under that topic I pointed you out, that they announced on the linked twitter account, that they have fixed the problem

Eh yes, I definitely agree with you regarding the good RTS's are dead part. Almost ironically, there's a lot of indie RTS games that are coming out now but almost all of them are lackluster so there's not a large enough following and support for those games that warrant them to be the next big thing

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)