Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Bushit | Toadwing, Velamar, Gratbot, Diazon

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MauH˙R Dec 1 2017, 03:18 AM
This is your personal mentoring topic. Use it as needed.
You can ask general mentoring questions in the General Q/A thread.
If you encounter problems with someone on your team or for any other queries, please PM me.

If you wish to extend your mentoring session beyond Jan 31st, you should indicate this with a post in this topic as the end of the mentoring period approaches.

Note: You are expected to be active in this topic throughout the mentoring period (until Jan 31st). Please make good use of this program, it's a great opportunity for everyone to have some fun and give the RotWK competitive community a boost.

Good luck & have fun guys!

This post has been edited by MauH˙R: Dec 2 2017, 00:36 AM

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2bushit Dec 1 2017, 03:44 AM
toad, vela, and turgon! hi guyz

me sure to add my Gr ID: 1180984

SEE YOU ONLINE wink.gif

I posted all of your info here so you can add eachother if you wish!

Spoiler
GameRanger ID: 9005404
toadz
Team: FoL
Faction(s) to learn: Elves/Men/Dwarves
Timezone: CST

-+-

Felyre`
faction to learn: Elve
ID:8541527

-+-

Velamar
GameRanger ID: 8575483
Discord ID (optional):Velamar#0150

-+-

Gratbot
GameRanger ID: 8958271
Team: Forces of Darkness (FoD)
Faction(s) to learn: any

Timezone: GMT

This post has been edited by bushit: Dec 2 2017, 01:38 AM

Clan: GoF|

+
# 3Mr.SmOKing Dec 1 2017, 12:24 PM
turgon better than bushit, he must be mentor for bushit lol

Clan: PIRATES

+
# 4toadwing Dec 1 2017, 14:41 PM
hi bushit -- thanks for mentoring

hi all -- look forward to learning and having some fun!

+
# 5bushit Dec 1 2017, 16:24 PM
QUOTE(Mr.SmOKing @ Dec 1 2017, 07:24 AM) *

turgon better than bushit, he must be mentor for bushit lol

that's what he gets for trying to smurf wink.gif

turgon why do you want mentoring for Elf? do you feel weak with them or have hard time in certain mu

toad can you post replays here of yourself? you want to practice dwarf elf and men right?

velamar ...your internet dude lol

This post has been edited by bushit: Dec 1 2017, 16:28 PM

+
# 6MauH˙R Dec 2 2017, 00:36 AM
Gratbot has joined your team!

+
# 7bushit Dec 2 2017, 01:39 AM
GRATBOT! Make a discord account, it's much easier to communicate there

+
# 8Gratbot Dec 2 2017, 10:38 AM
Alright will do

+
# 9bushit Dec 2 2017, 20:00 PM
Gratbot and others, here is an invite to the 2.02 discord group!

https://discord.gg/gKx5ut4

Toadwing, when can you log in? I haven't seen you yet

+
# 10bushit Dec 5 2017, 09:41 AM
POST REPLAYS HERE OR IN REPLAY SECTION!!!

+
# 11Gratbot Dec 5 2017, 22:04 PM
Fellow mentees!

I'm about to play a 2v2 vs some other rookies, need someone on my team.

I'm hosting on gameranger so just search my name if you fancy it.

+
# 12Gratbot Dec 5 2017, 22:32 PM
Got battered sad.gif

Fortunate my teammate was decent.

Lots to learn... replay attached

Attached File(s)
Attached File 2V2.BfME2Replay
Size: 106.12k
Number of downloads: 14
Player Name Side Team
Gratbot* 1
LukeATB 2
andre 2
Skady 1

+
# 13bushit Dec 6 2017, 02:02 AM
QUOTE(Gratbot @ Dec 5 2017, 17:32 PM) *

Got battered sad.gif

Fortunate my teammate was decent.

Lots to learn... replay attached

can you also summarize a bit of your thought process as you played? Sorta like "I did this start because I thought ..." etc etc, that may help

::Mordor vs Isengard (and Elf on the side)::

1) Your Build Order was messy and can be streamlined a bit to spend your resources more efficiently/quickly, which will then make your early game spam/army stronger:
  • I wouldn't recommend getting a lumber mill so soon. Wait at least until you have 4-5 farms, lumbers aren't as beneficial to your early eco and don't provide a CP boost. They supplement your eco and will help mid/late, but prioritize farms over lumbers.
  • Your early game was weak because you were too heavy on the economy build. Bought those 2 lumber mills and then a 4th farm, all the while still only producing Easterlings.
  • Mordor is cool because you can stay on 3 farms for a while - you can do your palace start, then add 2 orc pits, and get harad lancers, all on 3 farms (NO LUMBER MILLS YET). You stay on 3 farms whilst building your army of pike/orc/archer/lancer to max CP, then make 4th farm as you approach the CP limit, and push out.
  • You expanded to 4 farms and lumbers so quickly but had no army to defend the eco - it's risky. But you may have seen you had about 800 resources as your 1st lancers were being built - you can add some orc pits and make archers with that extra money - archers are great vs wildmen spam. You eventually did, but you can sooner. You don't want to be sitting on 1k early game. You wanna be pumping out units or getting an early hero (but early heroes aren't too useful or common for mordor, but you can try anything, may work).
  • Don't impulse buy fort defenses, you got mordor fort catapult because 2 wildmen went in your base. If you watch Destroyer001 gameplay you may note that he ALWAYS does this. Not worth the money early game, get an extra production building or (maybe) arrow/fear near your upgrading harad palace! But if you improve your build order you won't need fort defenses, you will have units to use (probably orc/orc archer/lancer combo vs wildmen). May as well put mordor catapult Skull ability on autocast if you do buy it for fear abuse.

2) Fire Arrow buy
  • You bought fire arrows while you only had 2 harad archers and some orc warriors, don't, you should focus on building up some decent spam of a unit combo that works in your matchup. Vs Isen, have harad lancers, some orc archers, and orc warriors. Mix 1 pike or so most of time.
  • Harad archer rush can work, but you must preserve them and also preserve their "meatshield" - the units that will be in front of them to absorb any incoming damage - once the meatshield falls, retreat, replenish, then go back. Your harad archer were in the front lines taking damage and barely got to upgrade to fire arrow being dying. Preserve valuable units, sacrifice cheap orcs, or use easterling in porcupine stance to tank damage. Later you did this, but you lost too many earlier.
  • Mouth of Sauron is a good hero vs many armies, with his lv4 Doubt debuff and splash damage.

3. Unit Production Choice
  • Make some more orc pits, 1 is generally not enough vs some spamyness (which enemy wildmen are) You can try palace only vs Isen - but you will have to preserve units better if you do.
  • your CP (command point / army size) was always way too low - focus on building an army and expanding when you need to
  • Drummer trolls are fun vs isen too for their fear ability and leadership. Mix them with archers and pikes, have archers shooting as enemy units flee in fear -> good damage.

4) General
  • Too eco-focused build, lumber mills not helpful
  • Didn't spam enough units
  • preserve valuable unit

5)For next game:
  • Try staying on 3 farms longer - build palace and 2 orc pits - then build army of my of 1 pike and mix of orcs/archers/lancer until you reach max cp, then push out and as you attack, make 4th/5th farm and upgrade to harad archer then.
  • Don't get lumber mills until you have 5 farms at least, not needed

GG KEEP 'EM COMIN!!

This post has been edited by bushit: Dec 6 2017, 02:13 AM

+
# 14Gratbot Dec 6 2017, 09:08 AM
Very helpful Bu, much appreciated. I must admit the fire arrows purchase was a bit of a panic buy. I felt like I'd committed to the Harad rush and as I was getting overrun I thought it was my only option.
In hind site, 1k can get you a lot of spam.

I am also guilty of watching far too much of The Destroyer so it's actually hilarious that you picked up on that.

I'll definitely try the 3 farm strat next time.

Do you have any general advice for how to turn things around when you know you're getting beat? Eg turtling in base act.

Noob question: how do I do team chat in game??

+
# 15bushit Dec 6 2017, 11:41 AM
QUOTE(Gratbot @ Dec 6 2017, 04:08 AM) *

Do you have any general advice for how to turn things around when you know you're getting beat? Eg turtling in base act.

Noob question: how do I do team chat in game??

Hmm well it depends. Sometimes a tactic isn't working so you would want to adapt a bit.
For example, if your harassing units aren't going enough damage - you may want to chill for a bit and build up enough force until you can effectively attack.
If the enemy is turtling / camping their base, then their weakness is: they don't know what you're building, and their farm space is limited. You can expand and take any neutral structures. Maybe split units and attack farms at the same time from many angles that he can't defend from. In a team game, you can help an ally, forcing him to leave his base or let ally die.

Maybe you can distract, send some units here so he moves there with army, then send some units where his army is not to destroy structures

Is that answer ok? Or not specific enough?

p.s. teamchat by typing backspace instead of enter

This post has been edited by bushit: Dec 7 2017, 00:06 AM

+
# 16Gratbot Dec 6 2017, 12:34 PM
Helpful again, cheers.

+
# 17bushit Dec 8 2017, 11:39 AM
will you guyz be playin this weekend?

+
# 18Gratbot Dec 8 2017, 22:44 PM
I'll be on. Drop me a message on discord when you're on

+
# 19Gratbot Dec 8 2017, 22:54 PM
Another game for you to look at.

Firstly I'll just say that Angmar are my least favourite faction so I'm glad I had a really tough game and got to know them a bit better.

I tried to go for a 3 mills and 2 halls start as you suggested, and at first it seemed like it was going to work. Until his army came at me and with his vastly superior units he was easily winning the battles, I had no idea how to counter.

I had to go on the defensive and just spam units to try and get in between the enemy and my buildings but eventually he just over powered me and luckily my team mate came to my aid.

He bought me enough time to allow me to get back into the game. Going for siege weapons was risky but it seemed to work because my opponent wasn't expecting it and had no answer for it, allowing me to take back a few of his mines.

I got Morgomir and that helped combat his tough units with the debuff (maybe I should have got him earlier), and eventually Hwaldar, whose leadership bonus certainly helped.

My team mate eventually told me to mix in some trolls and that brought around the swing in power, as well as mixing in some dark rangers my army was far superior to his.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Attached File(s)
Attached File 2v2_angmaar.BfME2Replay
Size: 269.73k
Number of downloads: 7
Player Name Side Team
Gratbot* 1
Puzzler 1
meric 2
Stormtrout 2

+
# 20bushit Dec 8 2017, 23:19 PM
excellent i will watch soon

the 3 farm thing was mostly for Mordor play! You can stay on 3farms with other armies too, lots of build orders revolve around it (Isengard's steading and fast pit; or Men's rax and fast archery range; or Goblin's 3 goblin cave spam). You don't need to stay on 3 farms for every army if you don't want to, see how it works!

I'll say 3 farms and 2 hall of the king's men can be good for angmar, as you get a large army really quickly! But it hurts if you lose a farm early game.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)