Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth

Mass Effect

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41Adamskidrummer Feb 10 2010, 22:20 PM
QUOTE(|elder|Ap0C @ Feb 10 2010, 20:07 PM) *

And oblivion... biggrin.gif

ME2 does thing better than ME1, and does things worse. I was not expecting the worse part.

Any traditional RPG lover, who loves the statistical geeky side of the game, will be at least dissapointed with some aspects of ME2.

Think of how great this game could have been with more powers and abilities like the first one, a long with lots of items, and upgrades to deal with.

I have been playing through ME2 on Insanity difficulty, and am getting to the point of rarely dieing in combat. I am sure it will get more difficult, but with stationary enemies who just duck behind cover, you have really no reason to die. I only die when am already in trouble, and multiple krograns rush up on me. I hear soldier is the easiest though.

It maybe is better than Oblivion but we will only know if I play it 4 times... I find enemies to be inteligent circling round behind me like mofos and stuff like that. I understand what you mean about the drawbacks but I think in the longrun the upgrades make the game more rewarding because it is not so easy. I didnt like how in the first game all you had to do was grind to get upgrades. In this one it forces you to actually do the story to get better stuff and to use tactical approaches more than just going solo and hoping your team stays alive biggrin.gif

The long loading times is my biggest bug bear, I wait around 15-30 secs and a little longer in larges areas or in complex fight scenes...

Clan: Marvel Super Heroes

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 42The Poet Feb 11 2010, 01:00 AM
Your risk serious consequences at the end mission if you do not do side quests/rank up/get upgrades/and gain loyalty.

I can tell you this, it is possible to beat the game and have Spepherd bite the dust as well as allies. You can aslo complete it w/ no losses. And you can complete it with several variables in between those spectrums...

For the side missions, I generally took whomever would be most "emotionally" involved w/ the enemy Mercs (i.e. Zaeed and Garrus opposing the Blue Suns) for the added "emotional" connection to make the side missions integrated into the over-arching story. I liked the side missions, other-wise I'd be fighting the Collectors every mission, and that would get boring extremely fast.

It took me about 45 hours (10 hours longer than ME1) to play all side missions, harvest resources only as needed, and maximize conversation options, and hunt for weapon upgrades that were needed.

>>> I never did the main quest in Oblivion, got bored, will have to fish someday, did complete Theif and Assasin guild chains though, and half-way through most other guild chains.

Clan: |elder| & |eldar|

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 43lelderlAp0C Feb 11 2010, 01:15 AM
I think I have my most current oblivion saved game tucked away somewhere.

BTW how exactly do you scan for resources. You just move until the graph peeks then drop a probe.

Is it worth it do scan every planet?

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 44The Poet Feb 11 2010, 02:18 AM
nope. Only scan to get what you need. Although, if me3 is like me2, what you do for resource gathering will help $ in import of character. Exactly, to be the most economical, try to get the highest peak for each resource per probe.

I actually found that I use my teammates more in me2 than in me1. The q & e buttons are quite useful in setting up flanks and traps. And I rarely used teammates biotic/tech in me1, now I use them often (particulary warp and throw and drone).

+
# 45lelderlAp0C Feb 11 2010, 02:32 AM
For me team combat was far superior in ME1.

I was a soldier, and used Liara, and Tali. Perfect blend of combat/biotics/tech.

Tali would overload shields, Liara would warp to reduce enemy damage resistance, and then I would blast away with my gun.

I am still waiting to find a good blend of squad mates in ME2. Once I do I might enjoy combat way more.

I know that Mordin does damage to armor with fire, I do damage to biotic barriers with concussion, now I just need a good tech to overload shields. Not sure if anyone else does that besides Miranda.

+
# 46The Poet Feb 11 2010, 12:25 PM
From what I've seen on me2 forums is that Miranda/Mordin is a common combo. I liked mixing up my teams each mission. Sometimes, I had all the wrong people (abilities did not match needs) and proved to be quite the challenge.

+
# 47Adamskidrummer Feb 11 2010, 17:44 PM
I have found Mordin and Grunt to be fun - I dont tend to use biotics because the attacks dont work on good shields.

+
# 48lelderlAp0C Feb 12 2010, 00:53 AM
What class are you.

If you are soldier, grunt is redundant.

Soldier and grunt both have concussion. Concussion works best on barriers. Mordin's flame is meant to chew down armor. So you need someone with overload to take down shields. Miranda is one, and Garrus the other....so far. But I do know that you get another character back from ME1 in the future that SHOULD have overload as well.

You need someone to take down shields, one for armor, and one for barrier.

I just finished the world where you get Mordin and Garrus. I , like everyone else, think this was the best world so far. I love being in bustling sci-fi metropolis' style settings. I really really love Taris from KOTOR.

+
# 49The Poet Feb 12 2010, 05:51 AM
Usually, if you followed the Illusive Man's advice, Omega would have been your first stop. Though I have gone to Citadel first also.

Duplicity in abilities is not a bad thing, like I've said before, I was able to make quick work double-warping w/ Miranda and Thane against Collectors (while I was an Infiltrator and as Soldier).

Side thought, semi-spoiler: my predictions for ME3 is that you play as Liara, but if not, she plays a very big role in ME3.

+
# 50Adamskidrummer Feb 12 2010, 09:00 AM
TBH shields are not a problem, I use characters for a couple of missions and cycle through them to see what works and what doesnt and I think thats its far more complex than rock paper scissors. I have the MASSIVE sniper rifle/vehicle buster thingy that uses 12 bullets from one of the collector ships (human tech) that I use along with the heavy collector particle thingy that rapes shields and armour. I can take a Krogan in two shots and so on. Its great cos Grunt can hold off enemies and take a lot of fire while Mordin and I mop them up. I dont tend to like biotic powers in ME2 as they seem weaker for some reason...

+
# 51lelderlAp0C Feb 12 2010, 15:14 PM
TBH shields are not a problem

It may not be a problem...but if you use a more balanced squad, it will be even less of a problem.

If you have overload, concussion, and mordin's fire, not matter what the situation, you have a power that works well.

I think thats its far more complex than rock paper scissors

When it comes to powers it clearly isn't. It overtly says (and shows in combat) that overload works on shields and sucks on everything else. Concussion blast is 100% impotent on armor and shields, but rocks on barrier. Each straightforward damage dealing power is made to deal with only one type of damage mitigation; armor, barrier, or shield.

Call it what ever you want, but it IS that simple.

Now that I have a balanced squad I am tearing through Collectors on insanity.

This post has been edited by |elder|Ap0C: Feb 12 2010, 15:17 PM

+
# 52Adamskidrummer Feb 13 2010, 13:07 PM
You are missing my point - overload can be made redundant if you get weapons that tear through shields and such. Powers help you overcome things but for every defense there is also a weapon that counters it well also. WHat I am saying is, if you plan accordingly with weapons you can change your group to suit a different stratergy and still be effective against all foes...

+
# 53The Poet Feb 13 2010, 16:47 PM
A fun challenge, would be to play a level w/o using abilities, or vice versa, try it w/o using your guns (not really possible on hardcore /insanity).... On either veteran or harcore, can't remember which, I played for awhile on final mission w/ no ammo available, until I could get up and collect fallen clips, was a fun challenge.

I can't believe so easily that you "steamroll" on Insanity. I find that 3 quick shots to the body and I'm almost dead, not counting a hard hit by a rocket or other heavy weapon, I find I spend much more time on Insanity tasking my allies and undercover, than previous levels.

+
# 54lelderlAp0C Feb 13 2010, 22:57 PM
A fun challenge, would be to play a level w/o using abilities,

A fun way to be put to sleep. LOL

If there are no husks or krogans rushing me, I can just steamroll on insanity. You can't just run around in the open ever, but that is not very difficult to avoid anyways.

If there are husks or krogans rushing you, it is more of a challenge and MUCH more fun. YOu have to move, and things get more interesting.

hard hit by a rocket

You actually get him by rockets? LOL my grandma can dodge those things. The second the battle starts you sprint to cover, and unless you are rushed, you don't leave that cover.

Overall though, this game is quite easy. Mass Effect 1 was even more easy. I only had 1 or 2 challenging battles in that whole game on insanity. The battle with Saren was a cakewalk at the end, even on insanity. I had Wrex sporting the highest level krogan armor with TWO medical interface VII's. Saren just blasted on him 24/7 without dropping him. Liara died more than I can remember though.

You are missing my point - overload can be made redundant if you get weapons that tear through shields and such.

A. There is an ammo for each mitigation as well. As soldier you have access to all of them. So you will still benefit from having balanced powers.

B. If you do not have overload, that means you have redundancy in you powers as well. There are three types of damage, and if you only have two represented you probably have one represented twice. IE. Concussion with Grunt and a soldier

I am going to mod the config to make "Insanity+" difficulty if I plan to play it over again.

This post has been edited by |elder|Ap0C: Feb 13 2010, 23:04 PM

+
# 55lelderlAp0C Feb 15 2010, 16:27 PM
Hey guys.

I made a video of my toughest battle yet.

It was the finale of the Miranda Loyalty mission. It took me like 20 times to beat on Insanity, and another 10 times to capture this video.

The difficulty with this battle, is that on insanity you can't be out in the open for long at all, and in this battle you are flanked from all sides. There are barely any good cover spots where you won't get shot from another angle.

In this battle the only way I could win was by putting my squad up a little, while I held off the flanking Asari boss chick. Otherwise my squad would be killed in the first 15 seconds.

The cover bugged out on me a couple times..

http://www.wegame.com/watch/miranda-loyalty-finale/

+
# 56The Poet Feb 15 2010, 17:04 PM
I did not find that mission hard at all on Harcore, can't wait until I can do it on Insanity.. never had Mordin w/ me on Illium either, I've take Garrus and Jacob.

+
# 57lelderlAp0C Feb 15 2010, 17:10 PM
That is really wierd.

I have not fought a single battle in this game that came close in difficulty to that battle. There was only one single spot where my squad would live, and they still dropped countless times.

Probably has to do with the class you are too though.

+
# 58The Poet Feb 15 2010, 21:51 PM
I've played as Infiltrator and as Soldier... I would generally snipe and then use team abilities to finish off... you were in cover more than i usually do, I think. they regen their barriers so you have to pressure them, but it is risky, very risky. I think I als tried having my team guard my back from the Asari, while I pushed through the troops, best to save Asari for last, but she must be remarkbly more aggressive 1 level higher.

+
# 59Adamskidrummer Feb 15 2010, 22:46 PM
You are using the assualt rifle and small arms out of their effective range making the damage reduced. I found that one really hard until I found the right place to stay... What are you stats, upgrades and weapons?

This post has been edited by Adamskidrummer: Feb 15 2010, 22:50 PM

+
# 60lelderlAp0C Feb 24 2010, 00:14 AM
Can someone send me the following file?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Config\PC\Cooked\Coalecesed.ini

Don't open it though. I edited it with notepad.ini when you need to use a special program called notepad++.

Anyways I need a new one to play the game. I was trying to fix the fact that this piece of shit console port has a camera movement that is WAY to sensitive. Another fail on its part. My patience is wearing thin on this heaping pile of dung.

Cheers tongue.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)