Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Gentool freezes after lan game ends (has to do with replay saving)

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1CnConquer Apr 29 2019, 09:46 AM
hi, i've been dealing with this issue for months now, never thought it had anything to do with gentool because i installed it from the very start, when i play it at home it's fine, but at the lan where i work the game will freeze when a lan match ends, and it only happens if it's trying to save a replay, is there a way to disable the replay functionality all together? it might be with the fact that gentool is not allowed the proper permission to create the replay in my documents but we have that for security reasons and i'd rather not start allowing programs that privilege if it's not needed.

+
# 2Leikeze Apr 29 2019, 13:46 PM
Hey, nice to see you found the forums. smile.gif

If you'd like to disable GenTools upload mode, all you need to do is start the game, hit the insert key, then key down to Upload Mode, and key over till it says OFF.

Clan: Master of Death

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3xezon Apr 29 2019, 15:15 PM
QUOTE(CnConquer @ Apr 29 2019, 11:46 AM) *

hi, i've been dealing with this issue for months now, never thought it had anything to do with gentool because i installed it from the very start, when i play it at home it's fine, but at the lan where i work the game will freeze when a lan match ends, and it only happens if it's trying to save a replay, is there a way to disable the replay functionality all together? it might be with the fact that gentool is not allowed the proper permission to create the replay in my documents but we have that for security reasons and i'd rather not start allowing programs that privilege if it's not needed.

Hello.

Can you please test it again with GenTool 7.6 ?

Note: I uploaded a new version a few days ago that shows the same version number (7.6) but has a fix in it related to replay save + mods. Just re-download and re-install it please.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 4CnConquer Apr 29 2019, 19:57 PM
QUOTE(Leikeze @ Apr 29 2019, 13:46 PM) *

Hey, nice to see you found the forums. smile.gif

If you'd like to disable GenTools upload mode, all you need to do is start the game, hit the insert key, then key down to Upload Mode, and key over till it says OFF.

i tried that, i don't think it has to do with specifically upload mode, its something to do with saving the actual replay on the pc

QUOTE(xezon @ Apr 29 2019, 15:15 PM) *

Hello.

Note: I uploaded a new version a few days ago that shows the same version number (7.6) but has a fix in it related to replay save + mods. Just re-download and re-install it please.

will do now.

also another minor annoyance is that i can't increase the max height with gentool since i can't modify or even create a gameoptions.txt file since that causes problems with gentool and doesn't work.
coming from mainly being a RA2 player, it's very annoying how zoomed in the game is, and since i run the lan it's not a problem with computers having different versions of the game.

+
# 5xezon Apr 29 2019, 20:00 PM
QUOTE(CnConquer @ Apr 29 2019, 21:57 PM) *

i tried that, i don't think it has to do with specifically upload mode, its something to do with saving the actual replay on the pc
will do now.

also another minor annoyance is that i can't increase the max height with gentool since i can't modify or even create a gameoptions.txt file since that causes problems with gentool and doesn't work.
coming from mainly being a RA2 player, it's very annoying how zoomed in the game is, and since i run the lan it's not a problem with computers having different versions of the game.

Yes GenTool overrides camera height in LAN because in the past people have been using GameRanger and Hamachi + GenTool + camera hack. It gives an unfair advantage.

+
# 6CnConquer Apr 29 2019, 20:22 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Apr 29 2019, 15:15 PM) *

Hello.

YESSSS, THANK YOU, IT'S FINALLY FIXED!

now is there really no way to fix the highet issue? like i said, it's a local lan thing and most people liked the additional height while the rest were indifferent, i personally would want nothing else.

This post has been edited by CnConquer: Apr 29 2019, 20:25 PM

+
# 7xezon Apr 29 2019, 20:34 PM
QUOTE(CnConquer @ Apr 29 2019, 22:22 PM) *

YESSSS, THANK YOU, IT'S FINALLY FIXED!

now is there really no way to fix the highet issue? like i said, it's a local lan thing and most people liked the additional height while the rest were indifferent, i personally would want nothing else.

The moment you play with a high camera versus someone else with regular camera, you put yourself in a technical advantage, which is typically labeled as cheating. I understand you want to see more of the battlefield, but that is not how the game was designed. It was designed with a closer view, probably also because of smaller monitors back in the day, but it is perfectly possible to play it this way. And most players have done so for 15 years.

+
# 8CnConquer Apr 30 2019, 12:10 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Apr 29 2019, 20:34 PM) *

The moment you play with a high camera versus someone else with regular camera, you put yourself in a technical advantage, which is typically labeled as cheating. I understand you want to see more of the battlefield, but that is not how the game was designed. It was designed with a closer view, probably also because of smaller monitors back in the day, but it is perfectly possible to play it this way. And most players have done so for 15 years.

i understand that, but like i said it's a local lan thing so everyone will be playing on the exact same version, and i only want to put it at something like 530, besides when you play online doesn't the game check if you both have the same version? how would one person have a higher max height while the other is normal and still play together without a mismatch?

+
# 9xezon Apr 30 2019, 13:44 PM
LAN is not just used for local networks, but also over the Internet for GameRanger and Hamachi networks. Essentially LAN can be just another Online Lobby. Therefore it is not easy to deal with this problem.

+
# 10CnConquer May 2 2019, 14:35 PM
hey, after doing more tests it turns out the problem with the freezing only got fixed on some pcs but not all, even tho they are essentially the exact same hardware and cloned from each other, i even tried to copy the whole game(including the document data folder) from the none freezing pc to the other ones and still had the same problem, some pcs freeze while other don't, also i can't seem to be able to save my gentool settings, i try to turn off upload replay but when i restart the game it gets turned back on by itself.

+
# 11xezon May 2 2019, 15:04 PM
Hmm ok this sounds like a new issue then. Can we inspect this on your machine?

+
# 12CnConquer May 3 2019, 11:38 AM
sure if you like, what time would you be able to?

+
# 13xezon May 3 2019, 13:00 PM
Can we do Sunday, 20 UTC ?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)