Explore GameReplays...

Graphics

Lt. R4GE - -null-, CrushNZ

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 21Dr. Dru Jan 23 2011, 07:48 AM
QUOTE(CrushNZ @ Jan 23 2011, 16:26 PM) *

Cool! I'll be sure to try some of those tuts out, I was doing one, but then photoshop crashed and I lost it all though. post-13661-1143531603.gif

It needed illustrator which I didn't have anyways.

Which one was it? Maybe I can help you out and make the illustrator part and give it to you as a PSD. Also one of the best tips I've had to learn the hard way... Save often! I mean for me it's already such a habit to only save when I done or at least with that session of working on something. However that is NO proper way to treat your work! Save often!

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 22CrushNZ Jan 23 2011, 07:54 AM
Here is the link: http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutori...ce-in-photoshop

I'll redo it at some point, but I was finding it kinda hard so I swapped to this because it seemed handy:

http://www.photoshopstar.com/effects/green...ound-photoshop/

What is your Skype? Mine is crushnz if you want to add me. smile.gif

EDIT: Cant find the extract filter he was talking about though.

EDIT2: I've been attempting this tutorial here: http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/photosh...t-energy-lines/

However when I try to create the flare, mine looks like this, even with a few layers, it doesn't seem like it spreads out how it should in this picture here:

IPB Image

Here is mine:

Attached Image

What am I doing wrong?

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 23 2011, 09:31 AM

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 23Dr. Dru Jan 23 2011, 10:36 AM
OMFG, so I've had a cold for a while... and now I just got pink eye. Will be a couple days before I recover... I will be pretty inactive.

+
# 24CrushNZ Jan 23 2011, 10:38 AM
Get well soon bro!

+
# 25number45_ Jan 23 2011, 18:38 PM
QUOTE(CrushNZ @ Jan 23 2011, 10:38 AM) *

Get well soon bro!

+1

Game: None

+
# 26Dr. Dru Jan 25 2011, 00:52 AM
Okay kitties, while I'm still recovering I still want you guys to be learning! Been checking out those websites I linked you to? You better be, or else I oughta just throw my walking stick at the window and hope to see a flyin bird die! Now, to business. I want you both to follow these 4 tutorials. I will put them in order of difficulty, and do them in that order. I've done all of them before, so I should know.

I hope you downloaded and installed good fonts. The following are all text effect tutorials that I wanted you to try out. To get a good effect you'll need to have an adequate amount of fonts to choose one suitable for the project. It's also trial and error to see which type of fonts look good with what effect.
  • One - 6 quick text effects created by using the blending options.
  • Two - A text effect taking advantage of the background, simple light and shade to make your words really shine.
  • Three - How to put bullet holes in a western styled wanted sign on a real piece of wood.
  • Four - Grass text. Literally, get it right and it will look amazing. One of my favorites, this one works with not only text but works for many logos as well. Like the batman logo.

Stay busy mates!

+
# 27CrushNZ Jan 25 2011, 01:07 AM
Hey dude, I'll try some of these out tonight, currently going through my room and throwing shit out. biggrin.gif

Can't get he second font from the first guide to work D:

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 25 2011, 07:16 AM

+
# 28Dr. Dru Jan 25 2011, 09:14 AM
QUOTE(CrushNZ @ Jan 23 2011, 16:54 PM) *

Here is the link: http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutori...ce-in-photoshop

I'll redo it at some point, but I was finding it kinda hard so I swapped to this because it seemed handy:

http://www.photoshopstar.com/effects/green...ound-photoshop/

What is your Skype? Mine is crushnz if you want to add me. smile.gif

EDIT: Cant find the extract filter he was talking about though.

EDIT2: I've been attempting this tutorial here: http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/photosh...t-energy-lines/

However when I try to create the flare, mine looks like this, even with a few layers, it doesn't seem like it spreads out how it should in this picture here:

IPB Image

Here is mine:

Attached Image

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry forgot to tell you how to fix your slight problem.
Your gradient (aka the soft brush) isn't blending well enough. If you used a 100 sized brush, try using a 150 or 200 sized brush. Depending on how big your image is you need to change the brush size. After that, change around the opacity of the layers. If you have 3 of them on Overlay and it's too strong, yet 2 is too weak, then keep the third but lower it's opacity and you should be fine.

The problem you are having is that it's not blending well, and over saturated only in the center. Which is part of what's causing the problem.

+
# 29CrushNZ Jan 25 2011, 09:31 AM
Cheers, I'll try fix it tomorrow. I'm having a break at photoshop because nothing is coming out right in it.

+
# 30Dr. Dru Jan 25 2011, 09:31 AM
This note is specifically for -null- however CrushNZ is free to take a look as well.

I heard you wanted to learn how to design websites. Or at least the theories behind it and etc. Another website by Tutsplus is Webdesign.Tutsplus.com check it out, read up on the articles. There should be a couple good articles where you can really learn how to make things look pretty, but still have them function correctly.

It's kind of hard to teach you exactly how to actually make a full website, but I can give you links and teach you how to design what they are going to look like. I call these mock-ups, but Webdesigntuts calls them "Complete Websites" apparently. That's at least where it's categorized in under tutorials. Take a look here where you will find quite a few tutorials on how to design a mock-up. Most websites start with one of these (for professionals they will just make a sloppy one at first, then start implementing elements into the real website and start piecing the design together from there) however you are going to learn how to design it completely. After following a few tutorials, try designing your own. Exactly how you want it, or at least can manage to do. Then you move on to actually building it later on in your life.

Whenever my boss tells me to think of ideas quick and make a mock-up for a new website I go through the process of...
  • Get my game face on. (No not really just kidding, I don't have a game face I just go and take my bathroom break))
  • First I tend to draw a sketch, or think about it in my mind.
  • I do a quick search for inspiration, depending on what the project is about. If the website is for a company that sells beer then I'll search up beer bottles, other beer company websites, business cards, everything. To be inspired by beer.
  • Once you get everything settled you can open up photoshop, I start with a grid of some sort to help me measure things.
  • First you make the base which is where the content is going to be.
  • Then the background if there's going to be one behind the content.
  • The header which is the pretty image at the top of most websites.
  • The navbar, and everything else plus the footer.
  • Done.

Also a quick note, the two different websites. The flowing width, and the fixed width. Read this. Very quick, even just look at the pictures and read the headers.

+
# 31number45_ Jan 25 2011, 13:57 PM
I know how to actually build the sites, it's what I do for a living tongue.gif

But I usually get a design from a professional designer so when people ask me to design one for them I'm at a loss where to start.

+
# 32Dr. Dru Jan 26 2011, 01:07 AM
That's great, then I can teach you exactly what I do best. Then you can use it to actually make a site which is what you do best! biggrin.gif

We can get started on web "design" later. However, if you know how to make a good looking wallpaper... you'll learn fast how to make a good full website.

+
# 33CrushNZ Jan 26 2011, 01:09 AM
I'd love to learn that stuff too dude. Seems like a skill worth having. Mind you I want to learn almost anything atm, so yeah. smile.gif

+
# 34Dr. Dru Jan 26 2011, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, register accounts if you haven't already at Livestream. We are going to do something real fun soon. When we are all online at the same time, or at least me and one of you I can show you how I make things in photoshop. It's easier this way because you can see it in real time as I make everything, and in the chat I can give you tips, you can ask questions, I can also give side notes, etc. I never use Livestream, and I only registered yesterday. My sister uses it all the time for similar stuff (she digitally draws and colors the drawings). She'll do it while Livestreaming it to her friends and customers so they can see how it works and stuff.

+
# 35CrushNZ Jan 26 2011, 02:15 AM
That sounds cool. Registering now.

+
# 36CrushNZ Jan 26 2011, 11:18 AM
Hi R4ge!

I'm currently trying to make some new badges for my clan forum and I want your advice/help on achieving the effect I want. Here is my current badge that I use (I know its basic)

Attached Image

What I wanted to add onto it was a good border and a way to improve the gloss/shine effect so that it makes the badges "pop" more. After playing around and using bits of tutorials this is what I came up with:

Attached Image

I don't really think I've achieved what I wanted to in either accounts. I think the border is to tinny (if thats the word, I'm not really to sure on how to describe it) plus I don't think the gloss effect had the "pop" I was after.

What can you suggest/help/show me what to do to get a better result?

The work in progress badge is a larger than what the finished badges are. My current badge is about the right size.

Any help would be appreciated.

+
# 37number45_ Jan 26 2011, 11:25 AM
I quite like the new badge. Just think the text needs moved into the center.

+
# 38CrushNZ Jan 26 2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks. smile.gif

Generally there is a symbol located to one side that generally means I cant center the text.

I'll show you guys some of the other badges I have in my clan forum at the moment too.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

+
# 39Dr. Dru Jan 26 2011, 12:22 PM
QUOTE(CrushNZ @ Jan 26 2011, 20:18 PM) *

Hi R4ge!

I'm currently trying to make some new badges for my clan forum and I want your advice/help on achieving the effect I want. Here is my current badge that I use (I know its basic)

Attached Image

What I wanted to add onto it was a good border and a way to improve the gloss/shine effect so that it makes the badges "pop" more. After playing around and using bits of tutorials this is what I came up with:

Attached Image

I don't really think I've achieved what I wanted to in either accounts. I think the border is to tinny (if thats the word, I'm not really to sure on how to describe it) plus I don't think the gloss effect had the "pop" I was after.

What can you suggest/help/show me what to do to get a better result?
The work in progress badge is a larger than what the finished badges are. My current badge is about the right size.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh this is right up in my alley, I could whip something up in 5 minutes that would be perfect. Of course I can't do that though, cause I have to teach you to do it yourself. smile.gif NO EASY WAY OUT!!

First of all, what type of border are you talking about? Something to separate the actual badge from the background? In that case, that chrome/metal effect you got there works great. It actually looks really good, and it should make the badge stick out from the background real good.

As for the actual badge use lighter greys. Use a linear gradient going from top to bottom (or bottom to top, depends on how you say it.) with the colors being significantly different in brightness. The reason you aren't getting a good gloss that really pops is because your gradient is totally wrong. Light on bottom and dark on top only works in certain scenarios. Your current one is not for this type of gradient. Use the same colors, but make it a linear gradient with light on top and dark on bottom. Maybe even make the lighter color a bit lighter. As for the finishing gloss, give it a simple gradient. Instead of just solid white put on overlay, make it slightly lower of an opacity on the bottom part of it. To do this, instead of painting it solid white before it's on overlay, make it a white to transparent gradient. Works like a charm, really adds depth to glosses.

Be creative, try to add more depth to it. Doing this is just simple gradients, higher lighting in some areas and darker lighting in different areas... I made something real quick just to show you how it could look. Can't give you an exact tutorials cause I'm tired and it was pretty complicated.

Attached Image

It can look a lot better than mine actually.

+
# 40CrushNZ Jan 26 2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I'll try it out tomorrow! smile.gif

I see what you mean, thanks! I don't know if I'll go through making the new badges yet, but I'll keep experimenting!

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 26 2011, 20:43 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)