Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

HOAs are evil

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1AgmLauncher Apr 14 2014, 06:12 AM
So, I've been looking for a house for the past two years, and unfortunately, there's not much I can afford that I actually ... want. At least half of the ones I can afford are part of HOAs, and they fucking piss me off.

I like astronomy quite a bit, and I've been deprived for it for about 12 years now between being at college and living in apartments. I really want a house in a dark-ish sky with an open back yard (2 acres).

90% of the houses I find in my price range are completely surrounded by trees. In most cases, I can clear cut trees without permission... except for the fucking HOAs.

Almost all of the HOAs have very strict rules regarding tree lines and preserving private, wooded areas. That would be fine ordinarily - don't want it? Don't live in an HOA.

But what if you don't really have a choice, because HOAs are so ubiquitous? What if your only choice was to magically pull $85,000/year out of your ass in order to buy a comparable home that isn't part of an HOA? Or if your other choice was to settle for some shitty house?

Basically, HOAs make homes scarce. Other homes where you have true freedom to do what you want are both more harder to come by, AND more expensive as a result. HOAs drive up the values of comparable homes that don't have the HOA fees or restrictions. Of course, HOAs can protect property values in certain neighborhoods by keeping trashy obnoxious neighbors out, but for the types of homes Im looking for that are not necessarily part of a neighborhood, their costs are $30-40k higher on average.

The fundamental problem I have with HOAs is that it's corporations owning residential land. And not only do YOU have to pay for property that you aren't allowed to do what you want with, you have to do maintenance on it that they require. AND you have to continue paying them for the "privilege" of essentially being part of a union...

You know what this smells a lot like?

SERFDOM

What's worse is because HOA corporations are for-profit, there is no natural pressure to prevent their expansion. A normal home owner usually can barely afford a decent home, but a HOA corporation with millions in profits can gobble up entire subdivisions or tracts of land and further reduce consumer choice. It's not like your average Joe can afford to drop $150,000 on 20 acres of land, spend $80,000 to put a road in, and then build a $250,000 house on top of it.

It's always in favor of massive land/HOA corporations who have the capital to make purchases like this, which then totally fucks over anyone who believes their property is their own....

Shit pisses me off.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 2MeZa Apr 14 2014, 16:23 PM
I dunno man, I kind of agree with the philosophy of HOAs. The thing I've noticed is subdivisions that aren't part of a HOA usually have poorly kept yards, ugly additions, etc. With my HOA they penalize you for having excessive weeds, grass getting too long, can't have broken down cars, can't have junk in your front yard, etc... There are a few things that get to be a little tedious such as not being able to install a basketball goal however I will gladly give up having a basketball goal to keep the value of homes in my neighborhood up by preventing people from being able to trash the property bringing the property value down.

It's all in how you look at it.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3LoCk-On^ Apr 22 2014, 19:02 PM
That post is rather amusing if HOAs = huge open assholes smile.gif

QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ Apr 14 2014, 07:12 AM) *

You know what this smells a lot like?

Shit pisses me off.

BTW how is everyone doing? AGM, Meza, B2, Ghost, Lazer....Frog?!

I'm working for a fish health company in Scotland that sells products and services to the Scottish Salmon aquaculture industry.

www.europharma-uk.com

www.fishguard-uk.com

This post has been edited by LoCk-On^: Apr 22 2014, 19:13 PM

+
# 4MeZa Apr 23 2014, 15:43 PM
I've been good man. Have an 8 moth old and have been working a lot and spending time with the family.

I spend my gaming now playing Diablo 3 on the PC or Battlefield 4, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, or Assassins Creed 4 on the PS4. I honestly don't play nowhere near as many video games as we used to play back in the day though and I seldom stay up super late (past 4 am) anymore when playing games.

I know B2 and I tried to tag-up a few times on Zero Hour but he has had some issues getting it to run so we haven't played in a long time. There for a while we were playing just about every weekend but now it's few and far between from when we play. I myself haven't been on ZH in a very long time. The last time I was on it was before Logan was born so I'm sure I'd be rusty lol.

And congrats on your job, about time you contributed to society smile.gif

+
# 5B2Bomber Apr 25 2014, 18:07 PM
Hey,
I'm doing well also.
Got a new job (about a year ago), new crib, 2 kids now.. so been keeping pretty busy with everything going on smile.gif

Haven't played video gamed much at all to be honest.
I'm running an online poker league club (Home games) that I've been spending most of my free time playing smile.gif

I'm def. down to get back on ZH if I can only connect to online wacko.gif

Congrats on the job Lock!

+
# 6GhostTX Apr 26 2014, 02:29 AM
HOAs have they're place, but there are cases of HOA Nazi's...old people with nothing better to do and very stringent with the HOA bylaws. That said, I've been fortunate to not have a house in an HOA and both cases the neighborhood has been with great people so we didn't need/want an HOA.

FWIW, I've got a 5" reflector telescope that I use on my 1 acre lot on occasion. I'm not real good with it, but was excited enough when I could see Jupiter's moons once. Feel free to drop by, AGM. wink.gif

I saw you got the new job, Lock, via LinkedIn. Congrats.

I'm doing alright. Family is well and no new kiddo editions. Only thing "sizeable" was getting my big toe operated on in December...bone spur...Cheilectomy. Pretty much recovered now. Been playing volleyball for a couple of months now. smile.gif

Also, FINALLY got me a new box: i5-4670K in MSI Z87-GD65 MB w/Corsair H75 water cooling OC'ing to 4.0MHz, 16GB Ram, 1TB HD, EVGA Geforce GTX760 4GB all in a Corsair Vengeance C70 black running Win 7 Pro. So...I'm ready for "THE" next game.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 7LoCk-On^ Apr 26 2014, 23:56 PM
QUOTE(MeZa @ Apr 23 2014, 16:43 PM) *

I've been good man. Have an 8 moth old and have been working a lot and spending time with the family.

I spend my gaming now playing Diablo 3 on the PC or Battlefield 4, Madden 25, NBA 2K14, or Assassins Creed 4 on the PS4. I honestly don't play nowhere near as many video games as we used to play back in the day though and I seldom stay up super late (past 4 am) anymore when playing games.

I know B2 and I tried to tag-up a few times on Zero Hour but he has had some issues getting it to run so we haven't played in a long time. There for a while we were playing just about every weekend but now it's few and far between from when we play. I myself haven't been on ZH in a very long time. The last time I was on it was before Logan was born so I'm sure I'd be rusty lol.

And congrats on your job, about time you contributed to society smile.gif

lol I came out of uni in tough times man - skilled and able people were getting laid off when I graduated, so needless to say no one wanted someone fresh out of school in my sector. Stuck in and did the masters (which was a bitch, totally no life for a year) and thanks to some good networking I've got the job I'm now in. Needless to say my academic background had been very useful but applying it is a whole different thing, so I'm learning a tonne every day. As an added bonus, the work of my masters project is to be published with that of a post-doc's work in a scientific journal (Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology: Part B) - was just accepted the other day!! biggrin.gif

Likely my first and only scientific publication as I don't intend to continue with academia - business is where money is at!

+
# 8CheeKy` May 20 2014, 12:57 PM
hey meza do you play d3 on the us server or the european server?

also congrats lockon, what do you actually have to do there?

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: None

+
# 9MeZa May 21 2014, 04:15 AM
I play on the America's, Brian52682#1786. I have a level 70 crusader and barb right now

+
# 10LoCk-On^ May 24 2014, 19:19 PM
QUOTE(CheeKy` @ May 20 2014, 13:57 PM) *

hey meza do you play d3 on the us server or the european server?

also congrats lockon, what do you actually have to do there?

EVERYTHING. Well not actually, but I do have to do a lot of different things. My title is currently "Technical Sales Support" and I'm helping to develop the sales function of their new product line with the hope of expanding the product portfolio in the near future. Been getting sales training with the team, but the reality is that you can't sell the sorts of things we have "by the box load". We sell prescription only veterinary medicines and disinfectants, many of which require licenses and environmental discharge consents etc. The idea is that we are a "trusted technical advisor" to our customer base, the Scottish salmon industry. To cut it short, I will be meeting customers and getting to know them, understand their needs and offer them products that solve their day to day problems with disease etc. Done a fair bit of product marketing recently (created a range of product leaflets like the ones below).

Other elements of my job include regular admin, event organisation and running of our SuperSmolt biotechnology programme. If you want to know more check out www.europharma-uk.com and www.fishguard-uk.com. The europharma website certainly needs updated and improved aesthetics, but this will come in the future for sure smile.gif

This post has been edited by LoCk-On^: Jul 6 2014, 01:04 AM

+
# 11MeZa May 26 2014, 06:53 AM
so basically you're a glorified shoe salesman like Al Bundy?

+
# 12GhostTX Jun 1 2014, 04:26 AM
QUOTE(MeZa @ May 26 2014, 01:53 AM) *

so basically you're a glorified shoe salesman like Al Bundy?

I'm sure the pay is a little better though.

Just don't start taking what you're peddling, Lock!

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 13CheeKy` Jul 1 2014, 23:27 PM
QUOTE(LoCk-On^ @ May 24 2014, 21:19 PM) *

EVERYTHING. Well not actually, but I do have to do a lot of different things. My title is currently "Technical Sales Support" and I'm helping to develop the sales function of their new product line with the hope of expanding the product portfolio in the near future. Been getting sales training with the team, but the reality is that you can't sell the sorts of things we have "by the box load". We sell prescription only veterinary medicines and disinfectants, many of which require licenses and environmental discharge consents etc. The idea is that we are a "trusted technical advisor" to our customer base, the Scottish salmon industry. To cut it short, I will be meeting customers and getting to know them, understand their needs and offer them products that solve their day to day problems with disease etc. Done a fair bit of product marketing recently (created a range of product leaflets like the ones below).

Other elements of my job include regular admin, event organisation and running of our SuperSmolt biotechnology programme. If you want to know more check out www.europharma-uk.com and www.fishguard-uk.com. The europharma website certainly needs updated and improved aesthetics, but this will come in the future for sure smile.gif

sounds cool, diversity is good imo.

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: None

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)